18 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hayabusa Post-Landing & Science Results
Ipparchus
post Jul 7 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 4055

I saw that photo of the sample container and I can`t understand something... They said they found, at first, only 2 minute dust particles, but this photo shows many much larger dust grains(?). Are they really dust grains or something else? Please explain me, because I`m a little confused...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"It`s one small step for a man. A giant leap for all mankind!" Armstrong, Apollo 11, 1969.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MaDeR
post Jul 7 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 387

Nothing like suspense IN SPACE! Do these grains are really from Itokawa? Or Itokawa is made of Australia? Inquiring mind want to know!

--------------------
Sanity is overrated.
Butterfly.

+Quote Post
Leither
post Jul 7 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 1002

QUOTE (pandaneko @ Jul 7 2010, 02:26 PM) *
Other newspapers are starting to carry similar stories about the large number of grains newly found inside the inner tube.

I do hope this is correct! The sample return canister consists of two compartments, one for each landing attempt, with the compartments being sealed from each other by a cylindrical sleeve valve.

I think the recently released picture shows the top outer surface of the canister sitting embedded in the return capsule, the visible particles being the 10 or so large particles they found on the outside of the canister.

What I am hoping is that the two 0.01mm grains were found in the first of the two compartments (the one open on the first/aborted landing attempt) and that the large number of newly found grains comes from the second compartment (which would be the one open during) the 30 min landing. If the newly found grains come from the first compartment...I dare to think what they’ll find in the second one!!

I’m now growing more optimistic....lets hope for the best.

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Jul 7 2010, 11:36 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 212

The finding of dust inside is very exciting and a hopeful sign. But we'll have to await detailed scientific analysis to determine their origin. A great achievement whatever the outcome.

for anyone interested; here are my articles posted at Spaceref on the dust finding and landing

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1412

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1402

ken

homepage

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jul 8 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 5323

According to today's Asahi Shimbun newspaper (8 July) the spatula in question is made of fluorine resin.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 8 2010, 05:21 AM
Post #81

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Pandanenko,

Just wanted to say thanks for the excellent job you're doing, keeping all of us here updated with Hayabusa's rather confusing developments. You're doing a cracking job. We probably wouldn't have anything much to go on if it wasn't for you, so thanks. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Jul 8 2010, 05:57 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 3511

Pandaneko has provided a wonderfully gripping tale of anxiety and hope...
thank you so much...

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jul 8 2010, 07:18 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 1700

thanks for everything you're doing to help, Panda Cat! smile.gif

+Quote Post
amezz
post Jul 8 2010, 07:19 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 607

QUOTE (pandaneko @ Jul 7 2010, 06:34 PM) *
...quoting from are all in Japanese. Would those URLs helP?

Certainly, I read by Google + general imagination smile.gif

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jul 8 2010, 08:46 AM
Post #85

I am feeling duty bound to share the exitement, really, because JAXA web pages tend to be so slow in updates. I am well aware that there are people out there who want to have minute to minute information.

I will be replying to Andrey (?) from Russia separately with direct links to Japanese newspapers carried in English. I had never thought about them. Other people from now on can refer to them and I will no longer need to translate.

They will be the Japan Times, the Asahi Evening News, and a few others, I think. Anyway, there is a bit more news that I found tofday (8 July). I do not remember where from. It was picked up my Google setup.

JAXA found yet more than 100 of 10 micron size grains inside the chamber A, which was kept open for the second landing. At least a few of them are being sent out to NASA right now, and one each to other academic institutions.

All other major Japanese newspapers today carried similar stories about these newly found 100 or so grains. From what they say I am inclined to think at least some people within JAXA now think that some of them did come from Itokawa.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jul 8 2010, 09:33 AM
Post #86

QUOTE (Leither @ Jul 8 2010, 06:51 AM) *
What I am hoping is that the two 0.01mm grains were found in the first of the two compartments (the one open on the first/aborted landing attempt) and that the large number of newly found grains comes from the second compartment (which would be the one open during) the 30 min landing.
I’m now growing more optimistic....lets hope for the best.

Apparently, it is not true. 0.01 mm grains were found in the second chamber. Those larger ones were not found in the chamber at all, but outside them.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jul 8 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #87

QUOTE (Ipparchus @ Jul 8 2010, 12:21 AM) *
I saw that photo of the sample container and I can`t understand something... They said they found, at first, only 2 minute dust particles, but this photo shows many much larger dust grains(?). Are they really dust grains or something else? Please explain me, because I`m a little confused...

I agree with you entirely. There is something I have been having a nagging thought about. If I remember rightly JAXA said that there no grains larger than 1 mm in size from their X-ray initial analysis.

That was the first news I came across in the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

My nagging thoughts are;

1. Those on the phot seems mauch larger than 1 mm.

2. The Asahi yesterday (7 July) did talk about the 10 or so particles found outside the chambers of being a few mm in size. I, of course, thought that it was a simple mistake when I saw the article, but I am no longer sure...

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jul 8 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #88

QUOTE (amezz @ Jul 7 2010, 10:49 PM) *
Dear Pandaneko I'll very appreciate direct urls to quoted newspapers here

thanks, Andrey

Dear Andrey

Here below you find URLs for Japanese newspapers carried in English. Best.

https://club.japantimes.co.jp/pm/ad/jt/index_e.html
(This above is no good as you need to pay)

http://www.asahi.com/english/

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/freetop.aspx

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jul 8 2010, 11:01 AM
Post #89

Here below is the URL to what one newspaper reporter said in his blog about the press conference of 5 July, I think.

It is too long for translation, but it does carry much clearer photos towards the end. Put in a nutshell, what they are saying at this press conference is that they are being very cautious, without prejidice...

For your information;

1. The bolt size you see on the picture is M3.

2. Microscope maginification is 100.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jul 8 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #90

QUOTE (pandaneko @ Jul 8 2010, 08:01 PM) *
Here below is the URL to what one newspaper reporter said in his blog about the press conference of 5 July, I think.

Apologies

Here it is.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/pepani/e/a2b32aec75d...b8212d3520cf990

Pandaneko

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.