Closed TopicStart new topic
UMSF - Server Switch 10th & 11th May
nprev
post May 23 2008, 02:23 AM
Post #76

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

<grumble>...ya just gotta worry about the guy; he's still got a day job! Running UMSF alone woulda killed me outright two years ago...</grumble>

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post May 23 2008, 02:26 AM
Post #77

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

QUOTE (nprev @ May 22 2008, 09:23 PM) *
...ya just gotta worry about the guy....

Brace yourself, this is something you may not like to think about...................................................he's young.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 23 2008, 02:38 AM
Post #78

Merciless Robot

Oh, yeah, THAT lasts forever... rolleyes.gif tongue.gif . My warranty ran out when I turned 30, and the extension was definitely gone at 40...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 23 2008, 02:55 AM
Post #79

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ May 22 2008, 07:26 PM) *
Brace yourself, this is something you may not like to think about...................................................he's young.

Not only that, he doesn't have kids yet. He has approximately eleventeen times the 'free' time that us old breeders have.

It's a good point about the UPS arrangements. The power issue could have been related to today's freak storms -- I heard on the radio that there was actually a tornado east of here, which is practically unheard of. In honor of the polar landing, it actually hailed at JPL today -- I've got pics to post later. After waiting out the hail I drove out of a thundery downpour across the valley to cloudless skies and fire-tinder-dry landscape at home.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 23 2008, 04:22 AM
Post #80

Merciless Robot

Would you believe two tornadoes that skirted the south edge of my USAF Reserve base? Article & a video of one of them:

http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=20080522...reno_valley.htm

No deaths or serious injuries, thankfully.

This is unusual in the extreme. I read somewhere that on the average everywhere in the US gets hit by a tornado at least once every 200 years...guess we got "lucky".

EDIT: An unfortunate correction: a trucker was in fact seriously hurt when one of the twisters mangled his rig. The storms also blew several railroad cargo cars off of their tracks. These would seem to have been at least F2 tornadoes. Heads up: possibly more of the same sort of weather today.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 26 2008, 08:41 AM
Post #81

Guests

Just emphasizing that the new server switch couldn't have been better timed cool.gif
Moreover, with the Phoenix landing, I've never seen so many "Junior Members" online...

Doug, any idea how the Phoenix landing affected the number of newly registered members on UMSF?

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 26 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #82

Merciless Robot

Wondering that myself; we got 124 people on right now as I write this (0845 PDT)...REALLY high for a Monday morning, even if it is a US & UK holiday.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post May 26 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #83

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

160 people right now. No doubt that we would have been knocked-out without this server switch.
Doug, do you have any statistics to share?

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 26 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #84

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'll give it a day or two, and then show the build-up, and following fall off smile.gif

One thing I will say - the usual number of posts per day is about 30-60. Yesterday was 267 and today, so far, is 547. Today is the busiest UMSF day ever, yesterday the 4th. Previously is was Jan 19th 2006.

Doug

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 26 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ May 26 2008, 09:00 AM) *
Yesterday was 267 and today, so far, is 547. Today is the busiest UMSF day ever,

What time is the "day" cutoff? 12:00 UT? I was a bit shocked by 547 since from my perspective its 10:00 am on a holiday here ohmy.gif

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 26 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #86

Founder

Forum time is BST (so 1810 right now ) - but the raw server stats will be PST.

Doug

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post May 31 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 1376

Speaking of time zones, I've noticed a problem that I didn't have before the server switch, so I suppose this is the best place to post about it.

It's certainly not a big deal, but for some odd reason the 'board time' keeps jumping backwards and forwards an hour. For instance, Doug's post right above this one currently says "12:10PM." But if I were to navigate away from the site and then come back it might say "11:10AM." Rinse and repeat and it's back to "12:10PM." This occurs not only within the post itself but also on the main board page.

I've cleared my cookies but the problem persists. Not sure there's anything else I can do on my end. But like I said, it's nothing but a very minor inconvenience. Anyone else have this issue?

Oh... I'm using Firefox.

Edit :: Sure enough, as soon as I post about it I found a fix. The problem was the auto-DST setting. Turned it off and all is fine now.

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 10 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #88

Founder

Thought people might enjoy this - UMSF over the past month, including the Phoenix 'Spike'

Google Analytics produced this PDF.
Attached File(s)

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 10 2008, 03:01 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 10 2008, 04:13 PM) *
Thought people might enjoy this

Indeed !
I can see that there are not too many hits from France but we've got the record of the number of pages per visit. This must be because of the 35 work hours per week tongue.gif
I guess we'll go up again when we'll have sample analysis results, full pano, not talking about other discoveries...
Did I read right, 24% more people here ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 10 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #90

Founder

Week 21 on '08 saw 39 registrations.

That's a record, beating 24 from Nov '05. (if you ignore the week that got 123 new regs because I accidentally turned off forum visibility to non members)

Doug

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:36 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.