Reply to this topicStart new topic
Another Jupiter impact?
volcanopele
post Jun 4 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #16

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jun 4 2010, 12:32 AM) *
SL9 impacts occurred in darkness, this impact is on the daylight hemisphere, so it may be difficult to make comparisons based on brightness??

I agree, we need to be careful about comparing the brightness of the two given differences in detector sensitivity, exposure time, background brighness, etc. It would be interesting to see if a power output could be derived from the images Wesley and Go took of the flash.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 4 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

My impression on viewing Wesley's video is that there were subsidiary flashes separated in both space and time, perhaps indicating a pre-fragmented impactor. It's hard to be sure because of the way the whole image jumps around, though. (I'm sure somebody here could fix that. smile.gif )

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 4 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 4 2010, 12:58 PM) *
My impression on viewing Wesley's video is that there were subsidiary flashes separated in both space and time

Pretty sure that's an artifact due to atmospheric seeing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jun 4 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #19

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

A different look at Anthony Wesley brilliant video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZzUL1dCRg
Here I created a version in negative...interesting effect.

+Quote Post
S_Walker
post Jun 4 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4979

Chris Go also caught the impact, though his was under far better seeing conditions. as mentioned earlier.

ADMIN: Same video as in Post#9

+Quote Post
S_Walker
post Jun 4 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 4979

QUOTE (john_s @ Jun 3 2010, 07:04 PM) *
It's interesting to compare to the Galileo images of one of the SL9 impact flashes, which looked MUCH brighter. So we might not expect an impact scar from this one...

John

True John, though wasn't Galileo's observations taken in IR wavelengths? Big difference compared to visual wavelengths.

Correction: I see the Galileo observations were in Green light. My bad!

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jun 5 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 424

I read somewhere that the 2009 Wesley impact had caused astronomers to revise their estimate of the flux of Jupiter impacts. (I can't locate the reference, and don't recall if it the discussion was specific to a particular kind of impactor.)

Is it premature to discuss whether the 2010 Wesley/Go impact will suggest a further revision?

TTT

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Jun 5 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 82

The impact of a large object with Jupiter in July 2009

On 2009 July 19, we observed a single, large impact on Jupiter at a planetocentric latitude of 55^{\circ}S. This and the Shoemaker-Levy 9 (SL9) impacts on Jupiter in 1994 are the only planetary-scale impacts ever observed. The 2009 impact had an entry trajectory opposite and with a lower incidence angle than that of SL9. Comparison of the initial aerosol cloud debris properties, spanning 4,800 km east-west and 2,500 km north-south, with those produced by the SL9 fragments, and dynamical calculations of pre-impact orbit, indicate that the impactor was most probably an icy body with a size of 0.5-1 km. The collision rate of events of this magnitude may be five to ten times more frequent than previously thought. The search for unpredicted impacts, such as the current one, could be best performed in 890-nm and K (2.03-2.36 {\mu}m) filters in strong gaseous absorption, where the high-altitude aerosols are more reflective than Jupiter's primary cloud.

+Quote Post
Byran
post Jun 5 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 493

http://planetary.org/blog/article/00002524/
Several large observatories in Hawaii -- Gemini, Keck, and IRTF -- attempted to view the impact site at the next opportunity, around 15:00 UTC June 4. No word yet on what they saw -- stay tuned!

http://archive.stsci.edu/proposal_search.p...amp;mission=hst
As of this writing, no dark impact site has been detected with telescopes of any aperture, including the Gemini North telescope.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jun 5 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 105

Interesting that no high-atmospheric signs have been observed soon after the "impact". Whereas a comet (a gravelly, low-cohesion body) disintegrates high in the atmosphere, making a shotgun-style debris pattern over a large, high-altitude area, a more cohesive rocky body behaves like a rifle bullet and punches through the upper cloud deck(s) and disintegrates at a lower level. Think of it as a small entrance wound-large exit wound. I wonder if we'll see some changesin that belt in the next few weeks as the disruption diffuses upward?

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 5 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 197

It's all about mass, Bill. I'd rather have a small hammer dropped on my foot than 16 tons of feathers.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jun 8 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 1102

This story has almost dropped from view except Leigh Fletcher's tweet: "Almost there with our study of the #Jupiter impact of 2010 - Hubble has taken some images, waiting with baited breath to see what's there..."
What happend on the infrared observations? Any detection of heat even if no black scar?
Any news Emily? Astro0? Jason?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jun 8 2010, 05:26 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 615

Floyd, what makes you think that we have any inside information? Occasionally we get some first hand news and can pass it on, but these things just don't happen overnight. Remember it took about 6 months for the Hubble report to come out on the 2009 impact.

If there's any news to be had, then it'll come out in due time.
You may get a heads up through UMSF or not ... Stay tuned, stay patient. wink.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 8 2010, 05:42 AM
Post #29

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Astro0's right. I certainly don't have any inside information, just lots of RSS feeds and blogs I read and mailing lists I subscribe to. Oh, and there's this fabulous online forum where lots of other people who read lots of RSS feeds and random blogs in multiple languages post notes about interesting news... wink.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 8 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #30

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I wish I knew about that one.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:35 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.