IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What to do after the closure of Midnight Mars Browser?
phase4
post Jul 13 2020, 02:51 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 1584

Apologies, I'm fairly new to Twitter. This is the link https://twitter.com/MarslifeOrg.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
htspace
post Aug 8 2020, 02:16 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 8852

Thank you!

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Oct 10 2020, 08:45 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 678

This is a great way to view pictures from MSL & MER. I'm all for modern HTML5 tools.

But since the official Raw images webpage is crap, and since Midnight Planets don't work anymore, is it possible to have the pictures displayed also as a grid, just a simple HTML webpage, with a simple sol by sol classification ? Just like Midnight Planets did ? A simple access to the jpegs, without that "responsive design" thing, and without that JS messing around. A good old plain HTML page.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 11 2020, 08:08 AM
Post #34

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Agreed. Something with the look and feel of Midnight Planets, the same functionality, and capable of being extended to Perseverance...! However, I am getting used to working with the Raw image pages for InSight and Curiosity and they are actually quite good, better than I thought at first. You can select any sol and any instrument if you need to.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Oct 11 2020, 08:42 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 6853

Like Phil I'm slowly getting used to the new page, but I'm far from happy with it. I just wish they left as it was until the end of mission, or at least had a revert option on it so you could use the old or new interfaces. Even the old interface wasn't perfect, but back then we had MP and Joe's page to use if we wanted the various whistles and bells they provided. Sadly no more, so we're stuck with the new interface which doesn't quite match the InSight raw image inferface for whatever reason. So let's see what we get for 2020's 23 cameras next year 😁

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Oct 12 2020, 09:43 AM
Post #36

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 11 2020, 10:08 AM) *
However, I am getting used to working with the Raw image pages for InSight and Curiosity and they are actually quite good, better than I thought at first. You can select any sol and any instrument if you need to.

From my point of view, I don't. I tried. I really tried. But this page is heavy. The pictures are not that easy to load, every time I right click on it, it slow my navigator. I used the Web Inspector to have a list of the resources but it's not complete. But, I agree with one point : the filters are quite useful. Although, I would have prefer a simple webpage, with miniatures and have the full version right after a click, not that pop-up window. This is time consuming.

Maybe it would be possible to have a similar gallery like MP, with some filters in it (instruments selection, the site number (location), the type of datas (full frame, downsampled…), sol by sol list… I don't know. A way to simplify the access to the pictures, with the less clicks possible.

@Paul : You can be sure that the Perseverance raw images webpage would be the exact same as Curiosity and Phoenix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Oct 14 2020, 04:55 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 4824

Hi everyone!
Here is a prototype for a Curiosity raw images viewer. It is not intended for smart phones.

Not so quick but still somewhat dirty: the code does not have much robustness. It consists of a single HTML file and does use CSS and JavaScript (how else?)
I'm releasing it in order to get some feedback: Am I going in the right direction? Does it have your favourite features? What is wrong and what else would you like to have it do? Just post here or PM me.
The crucial thing about it is the JSON file(s). If NASA changes those then everything will need reviewing.

About installing it:
Because I do not have a web site in which to host the file I am attaching it here. Simply download it to your favourite location. Click (or double click) on it to open it on your default browser.
However, this creates a problem as the page is local for the browsers and makes cross-domain requests (the famous CORS problem). The solution is to install a browser add-on. I am using Firefox so I installed CORS Everywhere . There is one for Chrome as well Allow CORS. This is quite an easy process.

About using it:
Open the file. It will automatically be positioned on the most recent sol and display all its images, in small format. The images are displayed by sol. Any sol can be selected by typing its number on the appropriate entry field (top right) or using the scroller. Press the "GO !" button to load the images.The images can be filtered by instrument. A row of buttons, one for each instrument, is dynamically built when the images are loaded. Press a button to see the corresponding images. Clicking on an image opens it in large format on an independent (resizeable) window which also shows the available information for image. Any number of images can be opened (depending on your computer's resources).
Note: the code is fast but some sols have hundreds, even thousands of images. This takes time, and I do have a fast connection!

Future:
  1. Simultaneously selecting images from several instruments;
  2. Selecting images by type (full, subframe, etc);
  3. Downloading images;
  4. Should image loading be automatic, or after filters are applied? Should it be by small batches (50 images?)
  5. ... ?
Enjoy and let me have your feedback. Thanks

Fernando
Attached File  MSLImageViewer.html ( 15.59K ) Number of downloads: 540

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 14 2020, 07:39 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 152

Nice, Fernando! I'm not sure what you meant by CORS - my browsers showed the images fine without any plugins.

One suggestion, to help those without a fast connection: load only the thumbnail images on the pages showing multiple images from one sol, and then load the full image when you click on the thumbnail. Chemcam images should be courtesy NASA/JPL-Caltech/LANL.

Moderators: Is there any chance this thread could be moved to MSL? It only talks about viewing MSL images and doesn't relate to "Image Processing Techniques". It's really a sequel to the old thread Curiosity Image Retrieval Tools, scripts and software.

+Quote Post
nogal
post Oct 14 2020, 08:02 PM
Post #39

Thank you so much fredk ! I like the suggestion, although I'll have to think about what to do when there are no thumbnails (not every image has one, I believe). Thanks also for the correction to ChemCam credits.
Fernando

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 14 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #40

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (nogal @ Oct 14 2020, 08:55 AM) *
Hi everyone!
Here is a prototype for a Curiosity raw images viewer. It is not intended for smart phones.

That's awesome!

So - I'd actually be cautious about using the thumbnails.... all thumbnails are full-frame, but all dust devil movies or upper tier images or other sub-framed pictures are not full frame, so the thumbnail might be missleading? I've got a couple of ideas / requests

1) Have a thumbnail on/off button ( to stop them showing in the list at all to avoid duplication)
2) Have a text list at the bottom of any page with a listing of links direct to the images so people can do a bulk download of data for any given sol.
3) What some people are beginning to figure out is how useful the Sequence name is.... ( in a file like NRB_655824982EDR_S0822188NCAM00595M_.JPG the SeqID is the NCAM00595 part ) - being able to filter by SeqID for a given Sol would also be really good as that would let someone ( combined with 2, above) download, say, all the images in a single dust devil movie or MastCam mosaic on a given sol.

One bug to report - it's not a constant sol number - but sols before about 2785-2775 or so, it will return an image count, but not return any actual images.

If you don't mind me asking - how long did this take you?

+Quote Post
nogal
post Oct 14 2020, 09:06 PM
Post #41

Many thanks Doug, for your comments and encouragement.
I decided to do this after reading Damia's post (a few posts back) but I didn't work full time on it. I don't clock in (after all I'm retired) smile.gif My estimate is it took more than 10 hours over two days. I know a bit of HTML, CSS and JavaScript ...
And now I have a bug to hunt down. Mnham!
Thanks again for the great feedback
Fernando

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 14 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 14 2020, 09:27 PM) *
So - I'd actually be cautious about using the thumbnails.... all thumbnails are full-frame, but all dust devil movies or upper tier images or other sub-framed pictures are not full frame, so the thumbnail might be missleading?

It may depend on what you mean by a thumbnail. The downlinked thumbnails are indeed full frame - eg, for the navcam frame https://mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/proj/m...NCAM00595M_.JPG the image https://mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/proj/m...NCAM00595M_.JPG is a full-frame thumb.

On the other hand, I believe all images hosted at mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images are paired with thumbs generated on the ground - for that navcam the thumb is https://mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/proj/m...00595M_-thm.jpg. It's these latter thumbs that should be used to speed loading of sites like this.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Oct 15 2020, 10:33 AM
Post #43

That IS really nice ! Already handier than the official raw page.

If I may suggest : having a "hard" link when hover a thumbnail, permitting the use of the link to be displayed at the bottom of any webbrowser, and maybe don't display the full frame in a pop-up window, but in the same window (user can control that behavior later, by "click+command/control").

MP also had something really nice and simple, a navigation "tool" like this (example) : "... > Curiosity > Sols > ←2538 / 2540→" on top of a page. And when in a specific image page (displaying the full frame), we could also navigate previous / next picture.

Just express my feeling on it smile.gif But this is already a nice job !

PS : If you want some place to host it, I can do it. I can also decompose your page in source files (separate the CSS from the HTML and the JS).

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Oct 15 2020, 01:54 PM
Post #44

Merci beaucoup Damia!

For your encouragement and great suggestions. I'm compiling a list and will work on them as time allows, now that I know I'm heading in the right direction (but I'll be mostly off next week, COVID allowing).
Thank you also for your offer to host the tool. Right now it is evolving, so it is not the right time, but I'll get back to you on that. Isolating the JS and CSS in separate files is good practice, this was just the prototype.

To all:I may need to create several html pages (in addition to the above mentioned JS and CSS files) so I may be distributing a small zip file in the future.
Thank you for the information, nice reviews and ideas. Keep'em coming!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 15 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #45

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 14 2020, 01:16 PM) *
, I believe all images hosted at mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images are paired with thumbs generated on the ground - for that navcam the thumb is https://mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/proj/m...00595M_-thm.jpg. It's these latter thumbs that should be used to speed loading of sites like this.

Those thumbnails are not part of the JSON feeds that drive Nogal's tool - they're part of the Mars web team's implementation and thus are probably an order of magnitude more likely to get changed, moved, broken as a result.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:40 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.