IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rover visualization and other apps, For discussions of ways to view and understand the mission
phase4
post Apr 12 2021, 12:32 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 1584

Hey all, i'm the person responsible for the elaborate hack that is called Marslife. Thank you very much for this thread!
I would like to take this opportunity to present the latest enhancement to the website; every Perseverance image that
came down as L & R stereopair can now be viewed as anaglyph!
It is as simple as pressing the 'A' key on the keyboard or select the option from the menu when you're on a mobile device,
Marslife will download the corresponding right-eye images for each visible sequence and switch to anaglyph viewmode.
Press the 'A' key again to return to normal viewmode.
Get your glasses ready and have fun!

Rob

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 12 2021, 01:23 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8974

https://bit.ly/PercyMAP updated to rely less on correctness of the metadata in the traverse json. The path animation now uses the waypoints json to sort the segments into the correct order. The sorting now relies on segment length in the traverse json corresponding exactly to the dist_m property in the waypoints json which sofar is the case.

--------------------
--
Andreas Plesch, andreasplesch at gmail dot com

+Quote Post
phase4
post Apr 12 2021, 11:50 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1584

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Apr 12 2021, 11:33 AM) *
Why Perserverance imagery is so off ? All of it, both Nav/HazCams, Mastcam or WATSON. Because, stitching pictures, remove vignetting, I can do that. But when it comes to color weirdness like this, I can't. Even with a "single" picture like those full res Navcam cut in many pieces, there is this difference between the frames. I don't why we have that but it's annoying. And I think it's not encouraging, because I read people about the "real colors" of Mars saying that Percy imagery is deceiving, too yellow, or too blue, or too something, and why so different than Curiosity ?

Yes, they are pretty hard to work with, especially the ECAM's. And way off when it comes to 'real' colors.
I guess that leaves them open for any artists interpretation...

In Marslife I also try to make the panorama's match, which is a breeze to do with the B&W Navcams from Curiosity.
The MSL Mastcam images look pretty good by themselves so I haven't made a color correction attempt yet.
But to make a presentable panorama with Percy's navcam images, that is indeed quite the challenge.
I wonder, is it possible that the color quality will improve during the mission?

For now I have settled to crank up the blue channel a bit, which looks, well, agreeable.
Other hints how get the colors more like they should be are most welcome. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Apr 13 2021, 12:52 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Apr 12 2021, 01:33 AM) *
Why Perserverance imagery is so off ? All of it, both Nav/HazCams, Mastcam or WATSON.

I'm not sure what's going on with the JPL cameras, but WATSON raw color is exactly the same as MAHLI, and MCZ should be very similar to Mastcam. So if there are things you don't like about the color, they are common to MSL for those instruments. Unless the JPL raw site is doing something different -- I haven't followed what processing JPL is doing there. For sure they are doing a stretch. Honestly the MCZ color looks pretty decent to my eye -- better than the typical greenish hue of MSL Mastcam images.

Do we have to have yet another discussion about the subjective nature of true color?

"no best is quite so good you don’t conceive a better" -- ee cummings

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Apr 13 2021, 08:09 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 678

but WATSON raw color is exactly the same as MAHLI

So, why I had much more difficulties with Percy's selfie than with Curiosity's ? Why I had to edit parameters that I never touched with MaHLI imagery, like color balance, levels ? Same thing with MCZ.

It's not about "true colors" here. It's just with MSL datas, I just have to touch exposure to blend them seamlessly. With Percy… It's a whole new game : exposure, yes. But also saturation, color balance, grey levels. Why ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Apr 13 2021, 08:44 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Apr 12 2021, 11:33 AM) *
For me it's not really about that.
For me, it's about those colours. I mean seriously, Curiosity color pictures are very homogeneous, there is little to correct between them (maybe sometime a little bit of R/B balance, exposure) but THAT'S ALL.
Why Perserverance imagery is so off ?

Thank you Ant103 for your interesting comments. Yes you are right about the colors. They differ from a camera to another because they come from various providers : MastCam-Z from Arizona State University, engineering cameras from JPL, and WATSON from Malin Space Science Systems. Having worked on Martian colors since 1981, I would say (if I may) that the ones from MAHLI/WATSON are the closest to the real colors you may see on Mars. A clue (but not the only one) is that when pictures of the sky are taken with MAHLI/WATSON, the opacity changes in the atmosphere are well reflected with colors ranging from a gray pink (low atmospheric opacity) to a salmon pink (high atmospheric opacity).
About color picture process for all cameras, for me it's not really a subject : I found that old 'Viking' color processing techniques work well with Perseverance images.
Raw
Attached Image
/ Processed
Attached Image

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 13 2021, 02:20 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Apr 12 2021, 07:52 PM) *
I haven't followed what processing JPL is doing there. For sure they are doing a stretch.

Do we have to have yet another discussion about the subjective nature of true color?

*before* that white-balance/true-color discussion ~8.5 years ago, there *was* a 'sol 42 / sep 18 2012' change in the "stretch" of navcam images to the MSL raw images webpage.
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=191650

Just trying to jog memories. Hope it helps.

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 14 2021, 05:19 AM
Post #23

https://bit.ly/PercyMAP was updated since after the last drive the traverse json format was again slightly changed to report segment length with more decimals (down to atomic scale) than in the waypoint json (down to millimeters). Hopefully, the json formats will stabilize at some point.

--------------------
--

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 19 2021, 10:23 PM
Post #24

https://bit.ly/PercyMAP was updated with an approximate animation of the first flight, a new location of the Van Zyl Overlook, and a label for the Wright Brother field.

Where would the engineering, pose data be made available ?

--------------------
--

+Quote Post
Ryan Kinnett
post Apr 20 2021, 03:15 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 9001

QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ Apr 19 2021, 02:23 PM) *
Where would the engineering, pose data be made available ?

SPICE kernels will be made available and maintained here:
https://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/MARS2020/kernels/

They’re not there yet. I’m guessing they’ll be made available before August to support public data releases and whitepapers around the six month mark. Look for tutorials and MSL examples to understand how the system works.

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 20 2021, 04:03 AM
Post #26

Thanks. There is a web API, for example https://wgc2.jpl.nasa.gov:8443/webgeocalc/api/kernel-sets, which should make kernel integration possible when available. Apparently, well defined location/orientation/time data are considered more sensitive in some way.

--------------------
--

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 20 2021, 06:44 PM
Post #27

Update to https://bit.ly/PercyMAP to include a rotor spinup and spindown animation, as well as approximate hover turn. Also update of overlook view.

--------------------
--

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 26 2021, 04:00 AM
Post #28

Further update to https://bit.ly/PercyMAP :

- approximate animation for flight 3, 5.2 m elevation to point 50m north and back.
- new view button for FLIGHT, perspective on flight path.
- enabled left mouse drag for free rotation around current center. It can be a bit confusing. Press RESET if you get lost.

Try reducing v.e. to 1.0 before zooming in.

--------------------
--

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 27 2021, 01:35 PM
Post #29

Latest drive introduced null (?) geometries in traverse.json. Updated https://bit.ly/PercyMAP to accommodate and show last drive.

--------------------
--

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Apr 28 2021, 02:12 AM
Post #30

https://bit.ly/PercyMAP updated to latest drive, and to a more transparent flight zone curtain.

Here is a view from the way point at sol66:

The background is unfortunately completely off, and only provided for decoration. On the page, the background should be (more) correct now.

The field of view is about 30 degrees.

The rover is at the landing sport, and Ingenuity is flying 5.2m above ground towards the right just at the top edge of greenish flight zone curtain. The blue bubbles are earlier way points.

--------------------
--

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.