Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

16 craters on Ceres now have official names
http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/SearchRe...er%2C%20craters

The crater with the main bright spots is now named Occator

I'm working on a quick map with the names

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 7 2015, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

And here's that map with names (the mosaic map by Steve Albers)

Attached Image

So Spot 5 crater is Occator. Spot 1 crater is Haulani.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jul 7 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 7310

I guess that makes them the Occator spots. Could the spots themselves receive a name, as an albedo feature or something?

Nice map.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MarsInMyLifetime
post Jul 7 2015, 09:34 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6108

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jul 7 2015, 01:07 PM) *
16 craters on Ceres now have official names
http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/SearchRe...er%2C%20craters

The crater with the main bright spots is now named Occator

I'm working on a quick map with the names

If they were to add Exeter and Interocitor as names I think I would turn blue with nerdy excitement.

--------------------
--
Don

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jul 7 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15

Trying to get my head around how to pronounce the Spot 5 crater, I googled the name. Lots and lots of results identifying Occator as the God of the Harrow (or hoeing, in modern parlance), whose spirit was invoked by priests of Ceres, but very little with useful pronunciation guides.

What little I found suggests it is pronounced ah-CATE-ore. Not OCK-a-tore.

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Daniele_bianchin...
post Jul 7 2015, 11:22 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7482

it's Strange. Im don't result occator in roman divinitY. ...

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 7 2015, 11:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 530

I think there's a fair chance the first syllable is a long o and the penultimate is stressed.

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jul 8 2015, 12:29 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3908

And in Latin, the "a" should be pronounced as in "cat", and not as in "cake".

+Quote Post
jekbradbury
post Jul 8 2015, 12:39 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4172

In the Latin (occātor) the first syllable is a short o but the second is a long a, so the accent falls on the penult (/oˈkaː.tor/). The traditional English pronunciation would then be /ə(ʊ)ˈkeiː.tər/, or either oh-KAY-ter or uh-KAY-ter; a close analogue would be the first syllable of "Olympus" and the next two syllables as in "crater" but without the 'r.'

+Quote Post
nogal
post Jul 8 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4824

QUOTE (jekbradbury @ Jul 8 2015, 01:39 AM) *
In the Latin (occātor) the first syllable is a short o but the second is a long a, so the accent falls on the penult (/oˈkaː.tor/).

Thank you all for the posts on Ceres mythology and name pronounciation, I had no idea about the "helper gods" so I went searching. As usual, the Wikipedia proved to be a good starting point.

My native language is Portuguese, a Latin-based language. However I never learned Latin, so I had some fun digging around for the most likely pronunciation: it turns out there are four competing ones. Here is a link to WHEELOCK'S LATIN, a very reputed source.

So the classic latin pronunciation (I hope I got it right unsure.gif ) seems to be very close to my "gut feeling": Attached File  Occator.mp3 ( 46.17K ) Number of downloads: 1427

Fernando

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 8 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (jekbradbury @ Jul 7 2015, 08:39 PM) *
In the Latin (occātor) the first syllable is a short o but the second is a long a, so the accent falls on the penult (/oˈkaː.tor/). The traditional English pronunciation would then be /ə(ʊ)ˈkeiː.tər/, or either oh-KAY-ter or uh-KAY-ter; a close analogue would be the first syllable of "Olympus" and the next two syllables as in "crater" but without the 'r.'

"oh-KAY-ter" is what I meant by long o on the first syllable. It seems there's some wiggle in Latin pronunciation to declare the first syllable "open" and therefore a long vowel.... but I don't really know what makes a syllable "open." I *think* it's open if you're not saying ock-kate-er, and instead drop the consonant from the first syllable, opening it. But that depends on what the Romans said.

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Jul 8 2015, 05:51 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Jul 8 2015, 07:32 PM) *
"oh-KAY-ter" is what I meant by long o on the first syllable. It seems there's some wiggle in Latin pronunciation to declare the first syllable "open" and therefore a long vowel.... but I don't really know what makes a syllable "open." I *think* it's open if you're not saying ock-kate-er, and instead drop the consonant from the first syllable, opening it. But that depends on what the Romans said.

I think jekbradbury's suggestion /oˈkaː.tor/ is a very good one with the first vowel as when someone say 'oh' in short beginning with a flat 'o' and no embellishment.
But I'd like to add that the a be "open" in this case mean no diphthong to the vowel, which is something English / American speakers often have a very hard time not doing, a longer 'o' and certainly not followed by 'kate' but 'ká' then 'torr'.
Yes I got a "leetle" insight into latin due to a small insignificant involvement with biologists that are so snobbish they still use the Latin language. =)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 8 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #13

If I were a planetary scientist, I probably wouldn't want to butcher fossae and chasma and mare and all the rest either. Luckily, I can just write them on the internets.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jul 8 2015, 09:53 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3995

I've mentioned it before and will do so again here now that there is a Ceres Nomenclature thread....

I hope the powers-that-be consider the name 'Corn Palace' for the large mountain. Even though the name sounds a bit corny (no pun intended smile.gif ), it is the name of an agricultural festival in Mitchell, South Dakota (which I think would satisfy the nomenclatural rules for Cerean non-crater features), and both the mountain and festival's name-sake structure have imposing edifices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_Palace

+Quote Post
Daniele_bianchin...
post Jul 9 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 7482

I am not satisfied with some names .. :-/
I hope in a Fossae name Like "Caereris Mundus", a Fossae that was open only three days a year in ancient Rome..

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:25 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.