IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2007-09-10 Iapetus (rev 49): Pre-flyby discussion, Closest approach of this odd moon
tasp
post Aug 22 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 162

With no particular evidence at all, I had just figured the radar scan would provide surface roughness estimates across it's swath to perhaps support a future rover mission.

If the 'original' Iapetan surface materials are distinguishable in some regard from the (possible) emplaced ringy material making up the ridge structure, that would be interesting to.

If an oblique impactor lofted materials that formed a ring system, the impactor might have had a differing composition and it's incorporation into the ring materials, and the subsequent emplaced structure, might yet be discernable.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Aug 23 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 381

I don't know how Cassini's radar will be used at Iapetus, but here's a thought: if radar imaged a thin strip of the surface that crossed the boundary between the dark and light materials, you could look for changes in surface roughness. You could see if the transition from one region to the other were characterized by a gradational change or sudden change in surface roughness. That could provide evidence to support an endogenic or exogenic origin of the dark material, especially if combined with data from other instruments.

Unfortunately, that sounds like it might use too much data storage, but just maybe the Cassini extended extended mission will look favorably at another close Iapetus flyby.

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Aug 24 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #93

Member No.: 384

Hi!

I have just noticed what is the "Wikipedia's picture of the day for Sept 1st.
Iapetus

That's our Ugordan's image!!!

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 24 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 523

Sweet cool.gif

I'm not completely satisfied with how it turned out, though, namely a slight hue shift in the clear filter fill bugs me the most. Then again most casual viewers probably won't notice that unless they know what to look for. Touching up that mosaic has been on my to-do list for a while, but I never got around to doing it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TritonAntares
post Aug 24 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 516

Hi all,
here a link to FU Berlin I got just seconds ago:
049IA – Cassini Iapetus Targeted Flyby (Rev. 049, 10 Sep 2007)

There are a timeline, detailed information about bbservation requests and a table showing the flyby geometry included... Attached Image
Here an updated overview of the VIMS requests:
Attached Image

But I've just to read for myself... wink.gif

EDIT: Downlink times
A small fraction of the data will be downlinked to Earth on the late evening of Sept., 10. The majority will follow overnight (US) or during daytimes on Sept., 11 (Europe). Since the Iapetus data have a particularly high priority, all data will either be downlinked twice, or received by two stations simultaneously. The intermediate downlink late on DOY 253 allows to collect about 20% more data during the flyby than would be possible otherwise.

Bye.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 24 2007, 02:17 PM
Post #96

Wow, those are really detailed. It's probably as detailed a description as we'll ever get.
Based on satellite PR shot data - there will be a 1x5 WAC sweep of Saturn and moon system, in addition NAC RGB shots of all the major moons will be provided and a NAC ring scan. Here are simulations on the approximate pixel scales we can expect, note NAC has extra 200 pixels in horizontal direction so it has a bigger window:
Mimas
Enceladus
Tethys
Dione
Rhea - could turn out cool with Saturn's limb near, depending on exact time (closer to 02:40 UTC are better) - similar to Europa rising over Jupiter (except in color biggrin.gif )
Titan
Hyperion

And a preview of the WAC view around the time. It'll be nice to see the lit side of rings again along with a moderate phase view of the planet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 24 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #97

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Yes, everyone, run, don't walk, to check out those web pages that TA posted the link to. I've been trying to digest all the information there for the last four days -- sorry I didn't share, but I told Tilmann I wouldn't post a link or blog until he was pretty much done, and not quite everything is up there yet. At this point, it's set for the weekend; there won't be more updates until Tuesday.

I LOVE the animation and map previews of each observation -- wish we had these for every targeted flyby!!!

Here is a preview of my digested version (no illustrations yet, and probably some typos, send me a PM if you notice any glaring errors)...
http://planetary.org/blog/Cassini_Iapetus.html

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 24 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #98

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Good grief, will I have to write a book to write the uber-preview for this flyby ohmy.gif

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 24 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #99

Lol VP, good luck topping this.

There's just so much information to digest here, it's almost like one step away from giving us spice kernels for the encounter.
The closest approach observation is ISS_049IA_ORSHIRES001_VIMS and it has an interesting coverage, 8 clear filter ISS footprints of the ridge. If Cassini ever provides a view akin to a view from an airplane, this will be it. The view flying literally over the ridge should be absolutely s.p.e.c.t.a.c.u.l.a.r. and allow for some great stereo shots as phase angle reduces from 83 to 29 degrees.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 24 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 184

Yes - really exciting details from FU Berlin. Thought I'd check whether these closest approach exposure footprints represent simultaneous or near-simultaneous WAC and NAC images? That will be great to see this mosaic at the two different scales.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 24 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #101

Steve, they're listed as 8 BOTSIMs so yes, they're simultaneous. I imagine the NAC frames will be at too high a resolution to make ends or tails, it's probably the WACs that'll produce the biggest "oooh" factor.

As for the NAC... what if we find boulders on Iapetus, too? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Aug 24 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #102

Member No.: 528

Oh my gawd. This blog is amazing. It's what I've always wanted for the other Icy moon encounters.

The number of observations is fantastic, and so far I'm just looking at the ISS footprints.

Combined with all the other observations Cassini will be making on this one flyby, I suspect we'll be seeing research papers coming out of this for years.

I'm already looking forward to ordering the special issue of Science magazine (if they do one), so it can go up on my shelf next to the Enceladus issue.

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Aug 24 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #103

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

Holy shiskies...we are going to have our hands full after this flyby! Big thanks to TA for keeping us informed, to TD for enough information to choke the organism of your choice, and Emily for a wonderfully succinct blog distillation. Exciting times... a few days to Tethys and Rhea, and then on to the show. Give it up, you two-faced (expletives deleted). biggrin.gif

Congrats to Gordan for the Wikipedia pic of the day!

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Aug 25 2007, 02:11 AM
Post #104

Member No.: 627

Just saw this post.

Holy Freekah Moly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif What a site! Thanks indeed TA.

As for the radar observations.... Iapetus has a strange radar signature seen from Earth...
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/myst...day_040426.html

"It is known that the bright side is mostly water ice, but we find it does not reflect the radar like other icy satellites that we've studied with the radar before," says study leader Gregory Black of the University of Virginia. "The ice on Iapetus appears much less reflective."

We will soon make an intimate connection with this Mistress of Mystery, and yet.... even this will just scratch the surface biggrin.gif ............... I just do not think Iapetus is simple.

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

Craig

p.s. all you UMSF folks are awesome.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 25 2007, 02:57 AM
Post #105

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Iapetus is, just maybe, the first example of a large KB object we can see up close. It's definitely got its own vibe, far different from the rest of the moons here...Sept should be a very exciting month indeed!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:18 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.