IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ancient Ocean that covered 1/3 of Mars with Water, A new study conducted by University of Colorado at Boulder scientists.
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 20 2013, 04:33 PM
Post #31

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (RichforMars @ Aug 20 2013, 06:35 AM) *
And at this particular time in Martian history, how was reality on the planet we live on?

Reality on Earth? It was tangible but alas there was no one around to quantify it.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Aug 20 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

QUOTE (RichforMars @ Aug 20 2013, 09:35 AM) *
And at this particular time in Martian history, how was reality on the planet we live on?
There are so many theories about how Earth was and how Mars was 3.5 to 4 billion years ago that I don't think we can know now on which planet oceans formed first. But I would guess that oceans likely existed on both planets at the same time at some point.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 20 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #33

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

There's some evidence (D/H ratio, I think) that Venus once had oceans as well, BTW.

But, machts nicht. If Mars OR Venus indeed did have oceans there's just no way to positively tell if they coexisted with those of the Earth, really. Terrestrial geological evidence from that era is at best fragmentary; the LHB was beating the hell out of the entire inner Solar System for a lot of that time.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Aug 21 2013, 11:02 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 4605

The evidence is fragmentary yes, but compelling for continental crusts and oceans at 4.4 Mya ago (detrial zircons - Yilgarn Craton, Western Australia). At that stage Earth was just a baby and the LHB was just getting into stride. There is no certainty as to the LHB time scale or the impact intensity distribution over the period, but given the evidence from the moon and Mars for hefty impactors a cycle of ocean vaporisation and condensation, for both Earth and Mars seems more likely than not.

+Quote Post
Chmee
post Aug 22 2013, 05:18 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 206

Strange to think that at one point Venus, Earth, and Mars, may have all had oceans at the same time. Three planets who may have started similarly, but have diverged dramatically since then. Also, given how new the surface of Venus is (i.e. 100 million years old?), perhaps its ocean lasted until relatively recently (in geologic terms). Maybe less then a billion years ago the oceans evaporated, than the plate tectonics stopped, and than the surface got covered in magma?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 22 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #36

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Regarding Venus, it's better to assume that we are *not* living in a special time in its history. The simplest explanation for its youthful surface age is of a stagnant lid with periodic overturn -- every several hundred million years the cold lithosphere (which is denser than the hot stuff below it) founders and sinks into the mantle, producing a global paroxysm of volcanic activity that wanes and then quiets for a long time until it all happens again. This isn't the only possible explanation, of course, but you have to make a very strong case for an ad-hoc explanation before you can convince people that the uniformitarian explanation is false. This is an odd duck though, a uniform process of repeated catastrophes. I wonder what Hutton would think smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Dec 10 2013, 10:21 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 4605

Well Curiosity seems to have confirmed that there was significant water during the Hesperian lasting millions to tens of millions of years. This is clear empirical evidence of a warmer, wetter Mars with neutral pH water.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:11 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.