IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
A glimpse into the topography of the farside of Pluto, Can we use Pluto crescent images to see farside topography details?
TrappistPlanets
post Oct 29 2021, 10:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9009

i did some heavy detail enhancement/extraction to this image below

i figured out timing (around midnight EDT on July 15) of the image (after doing some research) and figured out the location of the south pole (with the help of Celesta), than i did additional modifications and aliments to get the below

Attached Image

also blended it with a already existing map (i also added in the charonshine stuff too (see https://arxiv.org/abs/2110.11976 ) chopped outoversaturated areas)

i am also wondering if anyone else has detail extracted crescent images i can cooperate into the maps above, plus i also could use feedback/consent on the above from the scientists/experts here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Oct 29 2021, 11:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1102

There were some fine image results from the New Horizons team working with some of the departing images showing the terminator. Details were recovered from the faintly lit terminator. You need to go through the threads covering the NH post Pluto encounter.

I'm afraid what you have pulled out looks like noise only to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Oct 29 2021, 11:36 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Floyd @ Oct 30 2021, 12:28 AM) *
There were some fine image results from the New Horizons team working with some of the departing images showing the terminator. Details were recovered from the faintly lit terminator. You need to go through the threads covering the NH post Pluto encounter.

I'm afraid what you have pulled out looks like noise only to me.

i think its more than noise

this here looks a lot like a possible crater you can see a crater rim and a central peak
that is not in the low resolution data in already existing pluto maps

--EDITED TO CHANGE TONE OF MESSAGE, so i am not giving a very strong claim--

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 30 2021, 02:58 AM
Post #4

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Oct 29 2021, 04:36 PM) *
this is definitely a crater

That's a very strong claim for very tenuous data.

'Could be interpreted as...' is as far as you should reasonably go.

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Oct 30 2021, 11:33 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 30 2021, 03:58 AM) *
That's a very strong claim for very tenuous data.

'Could be interpreted as...' is as far as you should reasonably go.

so would that be a crater, or is that just noise shaped like a crater, also some of the possible topography lines up with the lower resolution data

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Oct 30 2021, 02:00 PM
Post #6

i'll try blurring, and noise reducing the heck out of the original image than try to extract surface details, to see if i get the same result (ie, that possible crater, and the other stuff)

--EDIT--

i just tried a 2nd attempt, witch is the image below (blurred it to reduce some noise a bit)

here is the original attempt

comparing these i do see some correlations (like that "crater" i pointed out , its a bit hard to see in attempt 2 though)

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Oct 30 2021, 04:13 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1241

Trappist! I admire your ideas and persistence!
When curiosity grabs you, keep going. You never know what might happen.

The New Horizons team also came up with the same idea as yours and has been working on it.
They probably have access to higher resolution original images to work with... smile.gif

Here is their paper with some of their results and images of the Dark Side of Pluto

(you might recognize a few names ...)

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/PSJ/ac2743/pdf

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Oct 30 2021, 04:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4972

There's barely anything but I can discern a part of the farside "reindeer" antlers if your map is correct. This area has been mapped in greater more resolved detail on approach though. Much of this process has been gone through and added into maps, though the USGS map has not been updated to included atmosphere lit areas and they do not include hubble or night shine in their maps.

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Oct 30 2021, 05:14 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Antdoghalo @ Oct 30 2021, 05:19 PM) *
There's barely anything but I can discern a part of the farside "reindeer" antlers if your map is correct. This area has been mapped in greater more resolved detail on approach though. Much of this process has been gone through and added into maps, though the USGS map has not been updated to included atmosphere lit areas and they do not include hubble or night shine in their maps.

"This area has been mapped in greater more resolved detail on approach though"
yes for color and just the overall look of the thing, but in terms of shadows, we didn't get good shadows, its like they weren't even there or the area is flat in the images (witch can be used to determine if the thing is a big crack or a huge mountain witch can help us understand Pluto's antlers a lot better

Attached Image

--EDIT--

does anyone have the full resolution (at full resolution, and the whole image) of the image the 3 smaller images at the bottom of this fig came from, i can see some clearly visible far-side terrain even without any editing to brightness

there is probably even more terrain that we can pull out from the haze, if we can pull this much stuff from Pluto's haze beyond the terminator
we should be able to pull out farside terrain from crescent images posted in this thread

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:49 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.