18 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager mosaics and images of Jupiter, A fresh look at some ancient stuff
wildespace
post Jan 22 2013, 08:41 AM
Post #166

Group: Members
Member No.: 6842

Wow, my mind blown! I strongly suggest you submit the image to APOD, it needs to be seen by lots of people.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jan 22 2013, 09:08 AM
Post #167

Member No.: 150

I agree with wildespace, is absolutely worth to submit!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 22 2013, 05:32 PM
Post #168

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (wildespace @ Jan 22 2013, 12:41 AM) *
Wow, my mind blown! I strongly suggest you submit the image to APOD, it needs to be seen by lots of people.

APOD don't tend to take submissions. They see stuff they like and publish it themselves, without actually asking.

That's what they've done with a couple of things I've made, anyway.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 22 2013, 06:54 PM
Post #169

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Ditto...in fact, they've taken my stuff without contacting me and erroneously declaring it in the public domain. My experiences have been decidedly mixed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jan 22 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #170

Member No.: 321

I'm particularly taken with the Europa portion of the image. Europa (among many other worlds) exhibits some pronounced phase angle effects, and the best imagery was collected at a variety of phase angles, making the best maps prone to artifacts, and most off-the-shelf rendering of those maps look false because they lack those effects. Very nice global images, even at this relatively low resolution, could be used to: characterize the effects; normalize higher resolution images into a more seamless global map; use the map for rendering views of the globe through arbitrary viewing geometries.

Maybe a big project, but for now, I certainly admire this view of Europa.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 22 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #171

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

And just to further things a little -they took a movie of mine, without asking, compressed it so badly it was ruined, improperly credited the source, improperly cited the source of the data, screwed up the description...etc etc etc..... APOD is not something to aspire to in my opinion.

+Quote Post
machi
post Jan 22 2013, 11:10 PM
Post #172

Member No.: 4057

Really gorgeous image Björn! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 23 2013, 01:33 AM
Post #173

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

No worries; Bjorn has done better than APOD with this one. wink.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 18 2013, 05:38 PM
Post #174

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Jupiter from Voyager 2:

Attached Image

This is a mosaic of 12 color images obtained by Voyager 2 on July 5, 1979 beginning at 15:54 and ending at 16:29. At this time Voyager 2 was 4.5 million km from Jupiter's center; the resolution is 45 km/pixel. Each color image was composed from orange and violet images plus synthetic green. The end result is approximately natural color and contrast. Apart from minor improvements, the processing is similar to the processing of the earlier mosaics I posted here.

This mosaic shows a huge amount of interesting details. There are fairly irregular filamentary cloud structures in the north polar region, gravity waves at several locations near the equator, brown barges can be seen, big and bright plumes, various small spots and ovals and a turbulent region at lower right that is just west of the Great Red Spot. And perhaps most interesting: Amalthea is visible at lower left (it's very dark).

It's interesting how 'Cassini-like' the Voyager data can become with careful processing.

Compared to my other Voyager mosaics of Jupiter, this one is slightly unusual because I wasn't searching for any specific target (e.g. satellite transits, the Great Red Spot or something else). I decided to make a more or less random selection of source data to process. The only criteria were that I wanted images that could be mosaicked and a resolution of roughly 35-50 km/pixel.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 18 2013, 05:50 PM
Post #175

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jul 18 2013, 05:38 PM) *
It's interesting how 'Cassini-like' the Voyager data can become with careful processing.

I love this mosaic! And I fully agree. Voyager is very competitive with modern imagery if you can successfully remove the layer of "gunk" on top of it without damaging what's "underneath."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jul 19 2013, 12:13 AM
Post #176

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Breathtaking work, Bjorn!

--------------------

+Quote Post
geckzilla
post Jun 17 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #177

Member No.: 7197

Hi, I'm new here. I have mostly been processing Hubble data for the past couple of years but I sometimes check out Cassini or some other data. I try to focus on the less popular stuff that might never see the light of day and it seems like the planetary data gets a lot more attention from folks like you, so I avoid it a little. That, and planets move so much!

Anyway, I was searching for an image of a backlit Jupiter similar to Cassini's amazing backlit portraits of Saturn. I found this page, which features an interesting picture of such a thing, although obviously not of such high quality. I'm sure you all are a lot more familiar with the problems some of the Voyager images have. You can see there are multiple images of the limb in the same channel for both color channels. Due to the nature of the image I decided it was possible to correct these errors somewhat and this is the result. Note the ring itself is still uncorrected but it's not so bad.

Do you know of any other pictures of Jupiter off hand which show the atmosphere illuminated from behind like this? There is another set in OPUS I am considering doing this with but I am very curious about just how accurate the colors for this image could possibly be. Obviously just working with orange and violet filters is a far cry from a nice RGB image, but the inferred color here interests me. On the far side of the limb away from the sunlight are some dimly illuminated cloud tops. It would seem that the higher clouds are redder while the lower parts are more blue. Is this right? I have no idea! I don't know if the stark difference in hue is an error by me or a real phenomenon. Maybe a little of both!

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Jun 17 2014, 11:55 PM
Post #178

Member No.: 4489

This is a Voyager thread
So the voyager data is here

search page
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/search/search.html
the Voy 1 and 2 data is at the bottom of the page
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/

using the atlas search for Voyager 1
leaving Jupiter "Voy 1 "

http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/atlas...//c1643603.jpeg
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/atlas...//c1647952.jpeg
MAGE_TIME = 1979-03-14T14:45:33Z
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/atlas...//c1666247.jpeg

this is the image you want ???
Voy2
IMAGE_TIME = 1979-07-11T00:03:58Z
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/atlas...//c2069127.jpeg
CODE
wget -O c2069127.img 'http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/pds/prod?q=OFSN+%3D+/data/voyager/vg_0008/extras/pds/jupiter/c2069xxx//c2069127.img+AND+RT+%3D+RAW'
wget -O c2069127.img_label 'http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/pds/prod?q=OFSN+%3D+/data/voyager/vg_0008/extras/pds/jupiter/c2069xxx//c2069127.img+AND+RT+%3D+PDS_LABEL'
wget -O c2069127.img 'http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/pds/prod?q=OFSN+%3D+/data/voyager/vg_0025/extras/pds/jupiter/c2069xxx//c2069127.img+AND+RT+%3D+RAW'
wget -O c2069127.img_label 'http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/pds/prod?q=OFSN+%3D+/data/voyager/vg_0025/extras/pds/jupiter/c2069xxx//c2069127.img+AND+RT+%3D+PDS_LABEL'

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 18 2014, 12:11 AM
Post #179

Administrator

Member No.: 454

John, the image posted above is based on Voyager data -- click it and you'll get to the Flickr page that says it's made of C2069131 and C2069127.

Nice work, geckzilla, and welcome to the forum. I have also struggled with high-phase Voyager images and am not sure how real or fake any color I produce is, but it's at least a visually pleasing product!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
geckzilla
post Jun 18 2014, 12:27 AM
Post #180

Member No.: 7197

Thanks for the tips, John, and the welcome, Emily.

I should have put the image ID's in the post, though, so my bad. I found that using OPUS was quite a bit friendlier than plain old PDS. Honestly, I don't even know what "OPUS" stands for. Outer Planet U? Search? Anyway, yeah, I am a total newb. I know easier when I spot it, though.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:04 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.