86 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
New Horizons: Near Encounter Phase
Fran Ontanaya
post Jul 15 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #511

Group: Members
Member No.: 4350

Charon looks like a whole polar cap sublimated away. If it was a crater I imagine such deformation wouldn't have left the interior so flat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
EDG
Post #512

Member No.: 5483

QUOTE (TritonAntares @ Jul 15 2015, 12:38 PM) *
Yes. My first thoughts... Titania, Ariel and concerning Charons enourmous canyon at the right limb about Miranda with its chevron type areas.

I was thinking more of Oberon at first (before I saw the chasms), but yeah - definitely a Uranian satellite vibe (I think John Spencer mentioned that too in the briefing too).

+Quote Post
Habukaz
Post #513

Member No.: 7310

QUOTE (xflare @ Jul 15 2015, 10:41 PM) *
OK... a bit unscientific, BUT.....There is a dark spot just visible in the shaded region - a tiny impact crater with ejecta? A vent? just a dark spot wink.gif --- or maybe something else.

Could also be a compression artefact, I suppose.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FOV
post Jul 15 2015, 08:46 PM
Post #514

Member No.: 5800

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jul 15 2015, 04:04 PM) *
That dark streak going diagonally to the lower right shadowed corner from the mountains; is that real or an artifact? Reminds me of the dark seams in some of the Mars panoramas, but this isn't stitched.
Edit: it's more visible in Fredk's mosaic, going vertically down the inset.

It looks like a naturally occurring groove or furrow of some sort to me.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jul 15 2015, 08:50 PM
Post #515

Member No.: 5458

A weak attempt at getting the false colorization onto the latest closeup.

Attached Image

Disclosure: this is nothing remotely close to accurate - lots of fudgework here.

I did notice something quite interesting near the top left though. Looks like dunes.

----------
Edit
----------
Prefer a rotated version actually.

(click to enlarge)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aldebaran
post Jul 15 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #516

Member No.: 90

Just woke up. (damn I missed the press conference.) Total information overload. Some incredible images/

QUOTE (Marvin @ Jul 15 2015, 09:06 PM) *
So I've heard three possible sources of heat driving the geology (or a combination of them):

1. Radioisotopes
2. Liquid water still releasing heat from the original formation
3. Impact Event with Charon

4. Insolation

- and I'd be guessing, but volume changes associated with phase transitions in water ice. Possibly Ice XI to Ice IX (at depth of course)

+Quote Post
kap
post Jul 15 2015, 09:00 PM
Post #517

Member No.: 6055

QUOTE (ZLD @ Jul 15 2015, 01:50 PM) *
A weak attempt at getting the false colorization onto the latest closeup.

Attached Image

Disclosure: this is nothing remotely close to accurate - lots of fudgework here.

I did notice something quite interesting near the top left though. Looks like dunes.

Even if this isn't remotely close to accurate it really helps bring out a bunch of features. I spent the first glances at the B&W image marveling over the mountains and the strange terrain at the bottom right towards the limb, however your colorization really brings out the "flat" areas.

-kap

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jul 15 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #518

QUOTE (EDG @ Jul 15 2015, 10:42 PM) *
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too. Maybe some of the brighter parts on the left side inside the dark area are wall collapse features?

I'd guess impact craters or something else centred within the apparent depression. There are two apparent focal points there, if we are looking at the same stuff. But yeah, there's more bright stuff going on outside of that area, apparently.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Jul 15 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #519

Member No.: 82

Just a reminder that the afternoon downlink from NH would have completed by now. From Emily's blog post on encounter activities:

Wednesday, July 15 at 19:25 UT / 15:25 ET / 12:25 PT: 6.9hr downlink: First Look B

LORRI Nix at 3.0 km/pix (~9x19 pixels across disk). Taken 2015-07-13 23:19:16. Range 590,000 km. - The best photo of Nix that will be available during encounter period; LORRI's best will be 10 times higher-resolution

3 frames on Pluto from high-resolution LORRI mosaic at 0.4 km/pix (Pluto will fill all 3 frames, each frame ~410 km wide). Taken 2015-07-14 10:10:15. Range 77,000 km. - The highest-resolution images of Pluto that will be available during encounter period

Alice, LEISA, REX, and SWAP data

This is assuming that the priority images have not changed -- this morning's Pluto image was supposed to have been another single-frame image like the one received on Tuesday, for a stereo view of Pluto.

+Quote Post
kyokugaisha
post Jul 15 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #520

Member No.: 5306

Think Doug mentioned it in his twitter but the area near the terminator reminded me of some Cassini images of the venting region on Enceladus.

Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Michael Capobian...
post Jul 15 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #521

Member No.: 544

It looks like the new Pluto image includes very little or none of the dark terrain (Cthulhu).

Attached Image

+Quote Post
stevelu
post Jul 15 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #522

Member No.: 790

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 15 2015, 12:04 PM) *
Yikes! blink.gif

Here's an extremely crude attempt to locate the hires frame on the full disc frame:
[attachment=36944:P_LORRI_...location.jpg]

It looks like the dark smudge that xflare and I are interested in really leaps out in the more sunlit, full-Pluto image from yesterday, even as the sun angle washes out the shadowed ripples.

(If you're not seeing the correspondence, note how the smudge seems to align with what I'm thinking of as the 'rockpile' in fredk's orientation. Though looking at my post's preview I don't see it quoting fredk's image properly, so you may have to follow the link to his original post.)

On one level, that's obvious. It's not a shadow, so it doesn't depend on sun angle. But it may be a clue about what to look for elsewhere, if you're inclined to hunt for more potential vents—er, odd smudges.

+Quote Post
xflare
post Jul 15 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #523

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (kyokugaisha @ Jul 15 2015, 10:11 PM) *
Think Doug mentioned it in his twitter but the area near the terminator reminded me of some Cassini images of the venting region on Enceladus.

Yes, it has similarly striated ridges

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Nafnlaus
post Jul 15 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #524

Member No.: 7507

QUOTE (kyokugaisha @ Jul 15 2015, 09:11 PM) *

Attached Image

Wow, don't get my hopes up, but you're right, it's hard to not see the similarities.

QUOTE (Saturns Moon Titan)
There are small and large ripples visible in the tombaugh regio region of the highest resolution image. JPEG compression artifacts or dunes/hills?

They're a large field of JPEG Dunes. They're located right next to some hills that seem to be inscribed with the complete text of the Wikipedia article on pareidolia. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jul 15 2015, 09:23 PM
Post #525

QUOTE (lyford @ Jul 15 2015, 09:53 PM) *
"The whale" is now informally "Cthulu Regio" wink.gif

We were presented this map yesterday:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

86 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 05:26 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.