IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Moderated Section

There are many members of this forum who are published authors or have developed specific products that may hold a particular interest for members.
UMSF and The Planetary Society (TPS) do not endorse, warrant, or otherwise guarantee the books and products in this section, nor will UMSF and TPS be held responsible for or participate in disputes between buyers and sellers. UMSF and TPS receive no financial consideration for these books or products save those which may be specifically offered for sale by those organizations.
• Entries in this section will require an administrator or moderator approval.
• Please feel free to contact any of the team if you would like to have something added.
• Please note that attempts to post new books or products without seeking permission will result in posts being deleted and possible suspension.
• Once a topic has started, you are free to discuss as normal.

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
coming soon..., books to be published soon
Mercure
post Aug 18 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 7185

Mars Rover Curiosity: An Inside Account from Curiosity's Chief Engineer
by Rob Manning
Hardcover – Coming out October 21, 2014.

http://www.amazon.com/Mars-Rover-Curiosity...r/dp/1588344738

"[...] Manning's fascinating personal account--which includes information from his exclusive interviews with leading Curiosity scientists--is packed with tales of revolutionary feats of science, technology, and engineering. Readers experience firsthand the disappointment at encountering persistent technical problems, the agony of near defeat, the sense of victory at finding innovative solutions to these problems, the sheer terror of staking careers and reputations on a lander that couldn't be tested on Earth, and the rush of triumph at its successful touchdown on Mars on August 5, 2012. This is the story of persistence, dedication, and unrelenting curiosity."

- Looks like a must-read.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 19 2014, 12:49 AM
Post #137

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Ooo. Thanks for the tip, Mercure! That's GOTTA be good.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Mercure
post Aug 19 2014, 10:57 AM
Post #138

It is reviewed by Emily Lakdawalla here: http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...mars-rover.html

+Quote Post
walfy
post Aug 19 2014, 06:07 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 5161

I've pre-ordered!

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Aug 20 2014, 12:38 AM
Post #140

Member No.: 4168

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

+Quote Post
craigmcg
post Oct 22 2014, 10:21 AM
Post #141

Member No.: 336

My copy arrived yesterday. I'm halfway through...

+Quote Post
gwiz
post Oct 23 2014, 02:41 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 4697

QUOTE (Paolo @ Jul 6 2014, 07:56 PM) *
I'm happy to report that my latest book "Robotic Exploration of the Solar System - part 4" covering all missions from 2004 to 2013 is finally off to the printer!

My copy arrived yesterday, looks well worth the long wait.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Oct 23 2014, 04:39 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (gwiz @ Oct 23 2014, 04:41 PM) *
looks well worth the long wait.

great! hope you like it. I still have to get my copies...

+Quote Post
Mercure
post Oct 31 2014, 02:00 PM
Post #144

Here's an excerpt of Rob Mannings book:

http://www.airspacemag.com/space/mars-dilemma-180952797/

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Oct 31 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #145

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

It is a great book. Manning is a great story teller and you can definitely appreciate it in this book. I had a hard time putting it down to eat dinner ;-) Rob was kind enough to sign my copy tongue.gif

I wish mine was half as good.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post May 17 2015, 04:33 AM
Post #146

Member No.: 4168

My copy of Rob's book is by my bedside along with Three Little Pigs, Silly Street, etc. Putting my 3-year-old son to bed tonight, I said, "one more book" and unexpectedly he says "your book." We thumbed through it looking at the pictures of the rover and reading the captions.

Then I thought he might like to watch Doug's video on YouTube. Indeed, he loved it.

I had to explain to him that the rover is on Mars all by itself. His question then was who washes the rover when he gets dirty?

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post May 17 2015, 05:16 AM
Post #147

Member No.: 5221

QUOTE (Syrinx @ May 16 2015, 09:33 PM) *
His question then was who washes the rover when he gets dirty?

Mars itself, of course!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 28 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #148

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Quick update on my current Mars Atlas.

The International Atlas of Mars Exploration, Vol. 2, 2004-2015: Spirit to Curiosity

This starts with MER site selection and ends at Opportunity sol 3700 and Curiosity sol 669, the end of its first full year on Mars and the end of the primary mission. By chance, those two sols are within a day of each other, a convenient marker in the middle of 2014. It includes Phoenix operations as well as descriptions of mission planning and proposals over that decade, the Dawn and Rosetta flybys and so on.

I finished it in early January. Now we are deep into copy editing etc. Publication is expected on December 1st this year.

Many of the maps in it, especially for Curiosity, have already been seen here on UMSF, as well as Phoenix maps and images. Typically, I present maps here as working documents, building up sol after sol. The atlas will have the final version, with corrections and improvements along the way, often with new names added from target listings in the PDS Analyst's Notebooks. But you saw a lot of it here first!

And since those sols I have been compiling maps and text for a future third volume, maybe in about 2020 to include ExoMars operations and the lead-up to the new NASA rover.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Aug 3 2015, 07:26 PM
Post #149

Member No.: 103

I have just published (through Springer-Praxis) two books on the work that went on at Kennedy Center to assemble, test, and launch the Apollo/Saturn missions.

"Rocket Ranch: The Nuts and Bolts of the Apollo Moon Program at Kennedy Space Center" is an exploration of the Apollo/Saturn processing and launch facilities - Launch complexes 34, 37, and 39, the Manned Spaceflight Operations Building (later the O&C Building), the VAB, the crawler and launcher/umbilical tower, the launch pads, and the test and checkout computer systems. The penultimate chapter is an exploration of what life was like working at the launch pad - hazards, training, walking across swing arms 400 feet in the air, even a detailed account of fighting the Apollo 1 fire.

"Countdown to a Moon Launch: Preparing Apollo for Its Historic Journey" follows the processing flow for Apollo 11 at KSC - receipt of the stages at the loading dock, spacecraft buildup and checkout in the altitude chambers, stacking the Saturn V, tests at the launch pad, countdown demonstration test, launch countdown, and post-launch pad safing. Included are many stories about things that went wrong during the processing of Apollo 11 and other missions - suspected sabotage on Apollo 11 in the VAB, the test that led to the Apollo 13 explosion, the Apollo 17 sequencer malfunction, even a mishap that almost destroyed the Skylab 2 mission without anyone realizing it was in danger until the next day.

Both books are heavily illustrated with hundreds of diagrams and photos, many of which have never been published before, and are richly told in the words of the 70+ engineers and technicians who I interviewed for the books.

They are at my amazon author page or you can order autographed copies at my website.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 3 2015, 07:44 PM
Post #150

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Aug 3 2015, 09:26 PM) *
I have just published (through Springer-Praxis) two books on the work that went on at Kennedy Center to assemble, test, and launch the Apollo/Saturn missions.

congrats ilbasso! welcome to the Springer-Praxis authors family!

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:56 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.