Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Dec 3 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #197

Group: Members
Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Dec 3 2011, 08:44 PM) *
The caption on the picture says Pluto will expand "exponentially" as NH gets near, but I think it'll really only expand linearly as a function of time (if we're talking radius) or geometrically, if we're talking area.

--Greg

Yes, cringe. I proofed the release and images but not their captions. Sigh.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Dec 3 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #198

Member No.: 542

I honestly don't think it's so bad. The term 'exponentially' has acquired a non-mathematical sense in common parlance, meaning no more than 'at an ever-increasing rate'. Besides, the independent variable is not specified. It doesn't have to be time. It could mean 'The larger Pluto appears the faster that image will be expanding' - which is true, surely. Certainly it will expand a lot more during the second half of the remaining journey than during the first half.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 3 2011, 09:55 PM
Post #199

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Well put, Nigel; thank you.

I'd say that this particular dead horse has been beaten into an advanced state of decomposition; further blows are unnecessary.

Alan, congratulations to you and the NH team for reaching this milestone! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Dec 3 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #200

Member No.: 542

The long wait for the Pluto encounter raises interesting questions about the way we respond to events. It will be too slow. . until, suddenly, it's too fast! But then, thankfully, there will be the science in its own good time.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Dec 11 2011, 09:13 AM
Post #201

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Sep 25 2010, 07:24 PM) *
We're actively looking for a Neptune Trojan to fly by, but the statistics make it clear we have only a TINY, TINY shot at it.

What we can do is to develop phase curves on one or more, we hope-- now that Scott Shepard is finding Trojans in the L4 cloud we'll actually fly through. Of course, such imaging won't resolve the targets unless we get VERY lucky and have one VERY close to our nominal course, in which case I'd consider spending fuel to make a REAL flyby. But even the phase curve science is unique and we're looking forward to performing it ca. 2013-2015.

From Twitter:
@NewHorizons2015: Did you know that New Horizons is flying right through the L5 Trojan cloud of Neptune ? We're looking luck with a flyby tgt there in 2014.

Too cryptic!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 11 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #202

Merciless Robot

Mmm...I don't read it that way. Seems like a simple, concise (of course, since it's a tweet) repeat of Alan's explanation.

Gotta remember that the Lagrange regions are BIG, and any objects stuck in them basically are doing complex orbits around the L points themselves. So, the odds of NH encountering a Trojan, while non-zero, are definitely not good at all.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Dec 11 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #203

Member No.: 132

The tweet lacks the extreme qualifiers (TINY, TINY shot at it... VERY lucky... VERY close) of the post here. Is that solely because of space requirements or have chances improved to the point that qualifiers in all caps are no longer needed?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 12 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #204

Merciless Robot

tongue.gif ...don't get too hung up on reading the tea leaves, guys. I'm sure Alan will let us know IF (and I think it unlikely in the extreme) there's any shot at all of doing this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Dec 12 2011, 05:08 AM
Post #205

Member No.: 5221

Even another APL would be decent, to be perfectly honest.
But hey, that's what the Kuiper Belt phase is for, right? wink.gif

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Aug 4 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #206

Member No.: 655

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Sep 26 2010, 01:24 AM) *
We're actively looking for a Neptune Trojan to fly by, but the statistics make it clear we have only a TINY, TINY shot at it.

What we can do is to develop phase curves on one or more, we hope-- now that Scott Shepard is finding Trojans in the L4 cloud we'll actually fly through. Of course, such imaging won't resolve the targets unless we get VERY lucky and have one VERY close to our nominal course, in which case I'd consider spending fuel to make a REAL flyby. But even the phase curve science is unique and we're looking forward to performing it ca. 2013-2015.

I wonder if this is now a closed subject? NH is approaching (if not already within) the putative Neptune L4 trojan 'cloud'

IIRC the ground-based (and Hubble) search for suitable KBO targets subsequent to Pluto flyby was hampered by the number of background stars in that area of the sky, and presumably this is also the case for possible Neptune trojans for the same reason. I understand the chances of a fortuitous encounter are minuscule, but are the options still open?

Incidentally, the VBSDC (dust-counter) experiment is I understand in continuous operation - it will be interesting to see if there is an increased hit-rate as Neptune's orbit is approached/crossed.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Aug 4 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #207

Correct on both counts! I made the call some time back to give up on possible distant Trojan encounters owing to the many more things that needed to be done, and done well, to be prepared for Pluto. About SDC, we are also very interested in what it will see in L4!

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Aug 5 2014, 10:44 AM
Post #208

Member No.: 655

Thanks Alan, much as I thought - you don't need distractions at this stage I'm sure!

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Aug 23 2014, 11:41 AM
Post #209

NH crosses Neptune's orbit on Monday, 25 years to the day after Voyager 2 explored that planet. NASA will recognize both events, and look forward to the Pluto encounter beginning in January, with a new conference and pair of panel discussions on Monday. Flyer attached.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
anticitizen2
post Aug 23 2014, 03:50 PM
Post #210

Member No.: 7067

Definitely ducking out of work to go to this! Very much looking forward to it.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:31 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.