Toma B
post Dec 27 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 384

Quick stich in Autostich....Ultreya, El Dorado whatever... biggrin.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kanalje
post Dec 27 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 611

Well, this is looking like it could be plenty fun, this! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Marz
post Dec 27 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 482

QUOTE (ustrax @ Dec 27 2005, 09:15 AM)
Look what is left from the Ultreya cerimonial totem...  ph34r.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/ustrax/uh.jpg
laugh.gif  tongue.gif  laugh.gif

Wow! The Other Face of Mars! cool.gif

Nice to see Spirit breaking new ground!

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Dec 27 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #19

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Parallax measurements for sol 704 and 705 drives give me about 50m on each sol.
BTW, I posted an updated route map on its respective thread.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Dec 27 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #20

Guests

Maybe the team is hoping for a cleaning event near El Dorado, could be a golden opportunity for that, if the dune field is a sign of a windy area. Would it be? Or would it rather be the opposite?

This is my first Spirit-board posting btw, greetings all, I'm a Rover nut from Denmark!

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 28 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 239

I suspect that Eldorado will - for reasons of Rover safety - be given a fairly wide berth. It looks rather like the sort of classic rover trap we've seen before, and hardly worth attention if Home Plate (and beyond) is to be reached.

BUT...

...Eldorado *does* provide a great opportunity (oops) for some crater counting. If Gusev has anything like the number of mini-craters which we've seen on the other side of Mars, then it really suggests an aerial origin for the wee holes - and, if not, it suggests that something under the surface is responsible. Eldorado is the first Meridiani-like bit of Gusev we've seen...

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Dec 28 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 503

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Dec 28 2005, 12:38 AM)
I suspect that Eldorado will - for reasons of Rover safety - be given a fairly wide berth.  It looks rather like the sort of classic rover trap we've seen before, and hardly worth attention if Home Plate (and beyond) is to be reached.

Bob Shaw

It looks to me that there is such a sharp edge to the dune/ripple field, that it should be no problem to drive right up to the first ripple, extend the arm, and examine it closely, without actually placing a wheel into the sand itself.

David

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Dec 28 2005, 03:07 AM
Post #23

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Some Sol 705 anaglyphs:

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Dec 28 2005, 08:40 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 107

QUOTE (Oersted @ Dec 27 2005, 11:52 PM)
This is my first Spirit-board posting btw, greetings all, I'm a Rover nut from Denmark!

About time we got some more Great Danes in here! laugh.gif

Welcome aboard wink.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
Tman
post Dec 28 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 186

http://home.shinternet.ch/gp/spirit/2P1885...6-89L456_av.jpg (RGB from sol 701, only brightness increased)

That's really odd. If we have here a gathering place of fine sand particles, why this change in color?

Welcome Oersted! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 28 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 15

Yeah -- unlike some of the other dark spots in the orbital imagery, this (and other black-sand deposits like it) truly appear as dark from the surface as they do from orbit.

I would *have* to think that there is some major compositional difference between the dark sands and the surrounding rocks and soils, to account for the dramatically darker appearance. The fact that the dark sand patches seem to be in the wind shadows of the hills *seems* to explain them as dust fall-out from prevailing winds -- but that then begs the question as to why there should be a major compositional difference between the particles that fall out in such conditions and the particles that have been wind-deposited into the surrounding soils.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 28 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #27

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I dont think it is fine particles. I imagine it is sand, darker basaltic sand. The lighter coloured, beigey dust remaining suspended in the air while darker particles get dropped as the wind stalls over the hill

Doug

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Dec 28 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 174

There is a lot of really not-understood sorting and mixing processes of "dusts", "sands" and "composit particles" on Mars. The only reasonably well understood material in fact may be the dark sands of places like el Dorito\\\\\\Dorado, because well sorted clean mineral-grain sands are relatively uncomplicated and well understood. Sorting may be both mechanical and electrostatic, grains of dust can aggregate and aggegrates can break up, etc. I simply do not understand a lot of the subtle but complex color variations on soils and rocks due to dust and sands and who-knows that I've been seeing since the first Viking pictures.

+Quote Post
David
post Dec 28 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 56

Is the color-contrast seen at El Dorado similar, though on a smaller scale, to the large-scale albedo differences that have been observed on Mars for centuries? If so, it would be of considerable interest to examine the properties of the darker sand, and -- if Spirit keeps El Dorado in view for some time -- to watch for any changes in its distribution over time.

+Quote Post
Tman
post Dec 28 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 186

When I have a look at this mosaics from Nico, I get too the impression that this dark sand is a deposit of heavier particels when wind comes (from (north-) west I guess) over the hills and blows down material from them. So the lighter material blows farther than the heavier. smile.gif

Maybe it's also an electrostatic process that the heavier particles get aggregate together when flying...?

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 01:21 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.