8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stereograph Of Nebula
Harry
post Oct 29 2005, 07:43 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 531

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Oct 28 2005, 10:38 PM)
It may be that physiological tricks can be played with images which will persuade us that depth is present, but I don't think that they represent the actual 3D structures, however interesting the results appear!

Bob Shaw

Thank you. The method I employed is based on a mathematical prospect rather than physiological. As shown in the following stereograph synthesized by Stereographer, we can see the Julia set (it is a kind of fractal figure) in perspective. If we see the Julia set with a diameter of one mile drawn on a plane from the place ten miles away, it must be seen in perspective. They say many objects in the natural world (shoreline, mountain ranges, etc.) have fractal figures. So I thought we grasp the 3-dimensional feature of clouds with the same principle.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Harry
post Oct 29 2005, 08:27 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (Rob Pinnegar @ Oct 29 2005, 05:32 AM)
There's no way we can get _real_ stereo images, of course. My gut-instinct guess is that the closest we could get would probably be Proxima Centauri and Alpha Centauri A/B, using photos taken over the course of several years. Even for this example, though, the mutual revolution of A and B during the time lapse between images would probably spoil the effect (unless we waited exactly one A/B orbital period).

However, it should be possible to manipulate images to artifically incorporate information about distance, by moving pixels around. That's probably what is being done here.

If our left eye were one light year away from right eye, then we would have easily seen those stars in perspective...
Yes, the displacement of pixel depends on the deviation from focal point on each spot. However I must confess in the case of stars my software hardly estimates the correct deviation. Therefore even if using my software, Proxima Centauri and Alpha Centauri A/B will not be seen in perspective.

The following stereograph synthesized by Stereographer is for Ring Nebula (view: parallel eyes). It seems to have egg-shape rather than "ring".
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 29 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #18

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Harry @ Oct 29 2005, 06:27 PM)
The following stereograph synthesized by Stereographer is for Ring Nebula (view: parallel eyes). It seems to have egg-shape rather than "ring".

Which of course is probably close to reality (rings like this are nearly always spherical(ish) shells) but that must be a coincidence right? Your not guessing the 3D structure before making these images are you; just running a mathematical routine?

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Harry
post Oct 30 2005, 03:55 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Oct 29 2005, 11:58 PM)
Which of course is probably close to reality (rings like this are nearly always spherical(ish) shells) but  that must be a coincidence right? Your not guessing the 3D structure before making these images are you; just running a mathematical routine?

James

Of course I don't have any idea about the 3-dimensional shape of nebula before running the software (I think no one knows it!) Regarding the pictures shown in my previous posts, I've never modified those pictures with sharpening or color enhancing before and after applying Stereographer for them.

The following picture is the stereograph for Lagoon Nebula (view: parallel eyes).
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
dilo
post Oct 30 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (Harry @ Oct 30 2005, 03:55 AM)
Of course I don't have any idea about the 3-dimensional shape of nebula before running the software (I think no one knows it!)

Wath beauties, I'm increasingly delighted by these stereograph, Harry, indipendently from their real accuracy! biggrin.gif
It seems that program decide automatically the depth structure, I'm right?

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
malgar
post Oct 30 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 401

Hey Harry, why don't you try it on Titan surface image? ph34r.gif

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA07232.jpg

+Quote Post
Harry
post Oct 31 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (dilo @ Oct 30 2005, 07:25 AM)
Wath beauties, I'm increasingly delighted by these stereograph, Harry, indipendently from their real accuracy!  biggrin.gif
It seems that program decide automatically the depth structure, I'm right?

Yes. As explained in the site Stereographer, my method estimates the deviation from focal point on each spot of the image by evaluating the extent of blurry. Of course for telescope the focal length of any astronomical object is regarded as infinity. However if that object has fractal appearance, it is possible to estimate the deviation from focal point (i.e. infinitely remote place) with the similar manner.

The following picture is the stereograph for Pencil Nebula (view: parallel eyes.) By the way, if available, could you show us other anaglyphs? For, I was so impressed by the anaglyph you've made.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Harry
post Oct 31 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (malgar @ Oct 30 2005, 06:45 PM)
Hey Harry, why don't you try it on Titan surface image?  ph34r.gif

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA07232.jpg

OK. But the image you've indicated is not the original image. My software doesn't work well for any reprocessed image. You can see the original image here.

I de-convoluted the original image with Focus Corrector and synthesized stereograph based on that de-convoluted image. In the attached pictures, the first one is the result of de-convolution and the second one is its stereograph.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Harry
post Nov 1 2005, 06:08 AM
Post #24

Stereoscopic V838 Monocerotis synthesized by Stereographer (view: parallel eyes)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 1 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Harry @ Oct 31 2005, 12:34 AM)
OK. But the image you've indicated is not the original image. My software doesn't work well for any reprocessed image. You can see the original image here.

Harry, I think Malgar was referring to the version without the disturbing text. I strongly reccomend to use the color image reported in the same link (is a lossless png) or, if you prefere, my contrast enhanced version:
Attached Image

About anaglyph, here I worked out the last post from you. Anyway, you can easily do by yourself using Anabuilder free software:
http://anabuilder.free.fr/welcomeEN.html

Anyway, I suggest you to make bigger stereograms, because is possible to visualize them using crossed eyes or anaglyphs and results should be even more impressive!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Harry
post Nov 1 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #26

Thank you for that anaglyph and letting know me the website for making the anaglyph. I attached the stereograph based on the image you've posted. Also I attached another stereograph for Titan. It is the image of Titan's south polar region.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 1 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Harry @ Nov 1 2005, 02:11 PM)
Thank you for that anaglyph and letting know me the website for making the anaglyph....

Pls, can you make always also crossed eyes version?
Otherwise me (and others too, I believe) cannot immediately/easily visualize your beautiful stereograms... sad.gif
Now I hope to see also bigger images, Harry! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Harry
post Nov 2 2005, 09:38 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 1 2005, 05:54 PM)
Pls, can you make always also crossed eyes version?
Otherwise me (and others too, I believe) cannot immediately/easily visualize your beautiful stereograms...  sad.gif
Now I hope to see also bigger images, Harry!  wink.gif

OK, I'll convert the above two stereographs for crossed eyes. Besides I posted the stereograph of ITOKAWA for parallel/crossed eyes to http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=870

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Nov 2 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (Harry @ Nov 1 2005, 07:08 AM)
Stereoscopic V838 Monocerotis synthesized by Stereographer (view: parallel eyes)

Harry:

I see the stars as being in the foreground, but suspect they should be in the background...

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Harry
post Nov 3 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #30

The following stereographs are for Titan's landscape, Titan's south polar region (view: crossed eyes), and Nebula IC4406 (view: parallel/crossed eyes) synthesized by Stereographer.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:32 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.