Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Martian clouds as seen by Mars Express
Stu
post Dec 2 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #1

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Going through all the MEX pics in the database mentioned over on the "Phobos" thread is like entering a hidden cave piled up to the ceiling with jewels. It's possble to make great - if low resolution - colour images out of the RGB triplets, like this...

Attached Image

... and this...

Attached Image

But some of the plain BW images are just... well... stunning... This one's been sharpened and contrast-tweaked, but I think it's one of the most beautiful Mars images I've ever seen, just because when you look at it you can't help but imagine what it would be like to stand under those wispy clouds and see them teased out across the pink sky above you by the marian winds...

Attached Image

But don't take my word for it. Nip over to...

ftp://psa.esac.esa.int/pub/mirror/MARS-EX...TED-V2.0/BROWSE

... and have a play for yourself! smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
PhilipTerryGraha...
post Dec 30 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 8089

I concur. It's work like yours, Justin, that serves as a good reminder of the true capability of the HRSC. It's not as powerful as HiRISE, but one would be lying to say that it doesn't take images just as amazing as HiRISE. I noticed in the past week you also uploaded versions of these two oblique views of Mars by the HSRC, one of the Kasei Valles and one of Olympus Mons; both of which are also amazing! The latter in particular would make for a great lead image on the Olympus Mons Wikipedia article, methinks... wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.