Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mystery of Saturn's Two-Faced Moon Solved
nprev
post Oct 11 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #16

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Considering Titan as a potential source, I almost reluctantly ressurect this post and thread...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Oct 11 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 590

Alan, ugordon: Thanks. I suppose I should have said "Keplerian orbit." Hadn't realized the light drag could have that effect, but it makes sense. I'm more skeptical about ion engines attached to the dust grains. :-)

Still raises/leaves a lot of questions, though:

Where is the dust coming from? An invisible satellite? Or was this a one-time event? In which case, when was it?

Why do we see no effect on Phoebe? (That same question would apply if one thought it was something coming from Titan and going out.) [Never mind: just realized Phoebe's rotation is just over 9 hours.]

If the dust fell in a gentle spiral, why the differentiation between leading and trailing hemispheres? Why isn't it between sub-Saturn and anti-Saturn hemispheres?

--Greg

+Quote Post
alan
post Oct 12 2007, 02:51 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 110

Its the leading hemisphere because the dust is moving in a nearly circular orbit in the opposite direction as Iapetus.

Here's some fodder for the light on dark/dark on light debate. This is a piece of CICLOPS version of the Iapetus that I contrast stretched to bring out some subtle details at high latitudes.

Attached Image

Iapetus doesn't just have light and dark, the bright terrain near the equator are dirty in contrast to the blue-white terrain near the poles. At high latitudes you can see areas of beige on the equator facing slopes. So near the poles is it beige on white or white on beige? What was the original color of Iapetus?

I remember a paper I read before the New Year's Iapetus encounter that speculated that the dark material started hitting on Iapetus before its rotation was synchronized with its orbit. This could have made the trailing side dirty without starting the runaway process because the rotation was still to fast for the daylight temperatures to reach a critical temperature. This may have provided the seed needed to start the darking process inside the craters on the trailing side.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Oct 12 2007, 03:04 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Oct 11 2007, 12:51 PM) *
"Dusty material spiraling in from outer moons hits Iapetus head-on and causes the forward-facing side of Iapetus to look different than the rest of the moon," said Tilmann Denk, Cassini imaging scientist at the Free University in Germany.

From the original article
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0710...ni-iapetus.html

Actually just nabbed from here:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/press-rele....cfm?newsID=779

But yet to be fully understood is where the dark material is coming from. Is it native or from outside the moon? It has long been hypothesized that this material did not originate from within Iapetus, but instead was derived from other moons orbiting at a much greater distance from Saturn in a direction opposite to Iapetus.
"It's interesting to ponder that a more than 30-year-old idea might still help explain the brightness difference on Iapetus," said Tilmann Denk, Cassini imaging scientist at the Free University in Berlin, Germany. "Dusty material spiraling in from outer moons hits Iapetus head-on, and causes the forward-facing side of Iapetus to look different than the rest of the moon."

It was easy to miss, especially since without using the word "retrograde" it's easy to read it as "blah blah blah outer moons blah blah blah." wink.gif

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Oct 12 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 590

steve: Good catch. Thanks!

Given, then, that Phoebe is in a retrograde orbit AND is one of the blackest objects in the solar system, I wonder why it isn't suggested as a possible source of the dark material. Could material spalled off from Phoebe account for it? Or is it more likely that Phoebe's darkness (which appears to be a relatively thin layer on ice) actually comes from the same unknown source?

--Greg

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 13 2007, 02:46 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 105

Could material spalled off from Phoebe account for it? Or is it more likely that Phoebe's darkness (which appears to be a relatively thin layer on ice) actually comes from the same unknown source?

Quite possible. Doesn't spectroscopy suggest similarities in their surface materials?

Phoebe has an orbit of 160+- degrees inclination, retrograde, four times farther out than Iapetus and has several large craters. Who knows, the orbital dynamics doesn't seem to favor a transfer of spalled material, but with all the oddball things we've seen in this neighborhood, anything might be possible. The dark material on Iapetus has every appearance of being sprayed or sputtered on...

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 13 2007, 03:54 AM
Post #22

Administrator

Member No.: 454

If I recall correctly, Phoebe has long been considered a candidate for the source of the dark material, but I think that spectrally, Phoebe is, strangely enough, a better match to Iapetus' <i>bright</i> material than the dark stuff. I also seem to recall that Phoebe, though dark, is not as dark as Iapetus' dark material. I think. Somebody search around and check on these, I am not confident that I am remembering these things right.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 13 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 523

That's correct. Of all the significant moons of Saturn, Cassini Regio on Iapetus is the darkest (around 0.04 albedo, compared to about 0.06 of Phoebe).

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 13 2007, 07:05 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 542

Why is everyone so sure about this global dusting from another moon? If the vast majority of the Cassini Regio dark material was already in the dirty ice of Iapetus and you only need a small amount of seeding material then the problem largely goes away. The albedo and spectrum of Cassini Regio should not be expected to match the seeding material, which may be pretty hard to track down at all if most of the seeding happened a long time ago. The source could have been a population of small, exhuasted (de-iced) periodic comet nuclei with aphelia close to the orbit of Saturn. These would have long since disappeared, so the search for a source may well be futile. I think it might be more fruitful to search for a 'colour' match amongst materials that might plausibly be trapped within the ice of Iapetus, or the radiation-altered products of such.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 13 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 523

The fact remains the leading and trailing hemisphere dark material has visually different look suggests whatever was deposited on the leading side wasn't only trace amounts. The leading hemisphere has a much more pronounced reddishness to it, different to the trailing side which, in stretched colors appears really greenish (those who didn't believe my calibrated stuff very much now have official proof of this). In fact, it could be postulated it's this greenish stuff that's native to Iapetus and the redder stuff was deposited (with potentially slightly impact-altered chemistry). The trailing side has a uniform subtle greenish hue to ice at equatorial latitudes as well. Interestingly enough, I recall the dark region on Dione (cliffy terrain) appears green in the same filter combination. "Green" is a relative term here, implying weak infrared and ultraviolet reflectance, not necessarily visually greenish stuff.

Invoking long-gone comets close to Saturn's orbit is IMHO stretching Occam's razor a bit too much. Why doesn't Phoebe have the same uniform coating then? Why would this only happen to occur at Saturn? If the comets were "spent", that'd mean their perihelia were much closer in so it would be seen at least in the Jovian system too. Furthermore, if the dust was coming from outside the Saturnian system perturbations by Saturn would most likely make the dusting affect a good portion of Iapetus, not just the leading hemisphere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tasp
post Oct 13 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 162

Salient inferrence there, ugordan.

Curious a spalling process on Phoebe could liberate all particles at above Phoebe escape velocity, and that none would ever return to Phoebe's surface.

In one fell swoop you may have altered how we look at Phoebe in this regard.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 15 2007, 02:25 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (alan @ Oct 11 2007, 06:51 PM) *
Here's some fodder for the light on dark/dark on light debate. This is a piece of CICLOPS version of the Iapetus that I contrast stretched to bring out some subtle details at high latitudes.

Alan that is just fantastic -- bordering on my favorite Iapetus image this year.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 15 2007, 02:52 AM
Post #28

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Fascinating ideas and discussion.

Crap; I knew there wouldn't be a simple answer, knew it knew it knew it--there never is, really.... tongue.gif. (Consider this paradigm in the context of future discoveries; thinking NH here).

All I have to offer is a silly idea. What about a Discovery mission equipped with a high-res imaging system designed to splat a quantity of carbon black on a bright area, then returning a few years later (assuming a highly elliptical orbit achieved around Saturn) to assess the effects? If the terrain is reactive as postulated, then either the presence or absence of observable effects would be instructive.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 15 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 542

Since disconnected dark patches have formed on the 'green' trailing side too you clearly don't require the 'red' stuff to start one off. Something else must have started them. So if you invoke the 'red' stuff as the trigger on the leading side you have to postulate a completely separate triggering process for the other hemisphere. Occam doesn't like that either. There may well be a reddish dusting on one hemisphere (or a 'green' one on the other, or the red/green difference may be due to a selective removal process rather than deposition - I haven't a clue) but I don't think this is what triggered the runaway blackhouse. Since the red/green dichotomy appears to overlie frosted areas too it must be much more recent than most of the sublimation.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.