5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Himawari
scalbers
post Jul 21 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

Here is a real-time full color view of the Earth from the Himawari satellite, updated every half hour or so. This geostationary weather satellite is stationed over the longitude of Japan. The view is complete with orange sunglint off the ocean. You can click on the link to see the latest update.

Attached Image

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/gms/largec.html?ar...=1&mode=UTC

I previously posted this high resolution sample image in the Whole Earth Images thread. We can look around for the full resolution real-time data archive that would be about 11000 pixels wide.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 22 2015, 08:03 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 124

Wonderful! Thank you.

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jul 29 2015, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Another view with a gibbous Earth:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 29 2015, 12:09 AM
Post #4

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I've tried ( but failed ) to find a source for the full res data - it's just so stunning.

+Quote Post
johnmerritt
post Jul 29 2015, 05:56 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 292

Not the full res data, but I was able to locate four higher resolution partial disk images, which if pieced together make a nearly full disk image. These can be found by looking at the raw full disk URL, e.g. http://www.jma.go.jp/en/gms/imgs_c/6/visib...07290500-00.png, then change the number after "/imgs_c/" to 1, 2, 3, or 4. A number 0 gets you what appears to be a zoomed in region near the east coast of China.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jul 29 2015, 01:57 PM
Post #6

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

You can see the clearly on the images the North Pole in constant daylight, pretty neat.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jul 29 2015, 06:42 PM
Post #7

Good detective work and mosaic johnmerrit! Here is a (low-res) full-disk current day movie with a 10-minute cadence. Interesting to see how the sun glint changes as it moves across the ocean.

http://himawari8.nict.go.jp/himawari8-movie.htm#

And a saved animation is shown here on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSqgMF596MI

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 30 2015, 12:10 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (scalbers @ Jul 29 2015, 02:42 PM) *
Interesting to see how the sun glint changes as it moves across the ocean.

Yeah, watch that area, and it's a stark illustration of phase affect in some places, as areas go from brighter to darker than surroundings rapidly.

+Quote Post
xflare
post Aug 7 2015, 04:29 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 84

The full disk images are now at full resolution. Incredible view of Super Typhoon SOUDELOR

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 7 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #10

Sounds intriguing. Is there a link where the full-disk full-resolution images are now regularly available, or at least for this typhoon?

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 7 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 530

Visible (Color) imagery, including animations, here:
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/gms/

Midday is about 0300 UTC.

Make sure "region" is Full Disk if you want that.

err, wait, though... Is that full resolution?

+Quote Post
xflare
post Aug 7 2015, 06:03 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 84

I got them here http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/on.../himawari-8.asp

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 7 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #13

Nice - however the full color ones look to be processed to remove the original brightness variations relating to lighting geometry and atmospheric scattering. The full disk images are also "only" half resolution, compared with the sample I posted at the top of the thread. The floaters do show the typhoon better, and go to 500m resolution in monochromatic imagery. This compares to 1km resolution for the global views, that have 11000x11000 pixels.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 14 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #14

Here is a bit of info on a planned mechanism to make the Himawari-8 data available:

https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/news/himawari_plans.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dan Delany
post Aug 24 2015, 06:17 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 7141

Hi all! Recently I have been experimenting with applying optical-flow-based motion interpolation to earth-observing satellite images - ie. guessing intermediate frames to make smoother videos with artificially higher framerates. I found two open source software libraries which estimate optical flow using different algorithms, and both seem to perform fairly well - slowmoVideo which implements the Kanade-Lucas algorithm, and Butterflow which implements the Farneback algorithm.

I downloaded all of the high-resolution full-disk images from the RAMMB link posted upthread and have been testing the two libraries on cropped regions and short timespans from this dataset. For each method, I started with a 6 FPS video generated from the underlying images. Then I applied a 0.5x speed stretch and motion-interpolated the results to 60 FPS, resulting in a "20x interpolation" - ie. 1 out of every 20 frames is a real image, the other 19 are interpolated.

Here is a comparison of the two methods, using one day of data which show the twin typhoons Goni and Atsani in the Pacific. The images used are 1920x1080 pixels, so make sure you force the quality to "1080p60" for best viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skk58D3waQg

As you can see, the results seem to be pretty comparable during the daytime, when lighting conditions are fairly consistent from frame to frame. However, the Butterflow (Farneback) method appears to handle the dynamic lighting conditions near the terminator around the time of local twilight much better than the slowmoVideo (Kanade-Lucas) method.

Note that the speed of rotation appears to "jump" a few times - this is because most original frames are taken once-per-ten-minutes but there are a few frames missing, and I'm not correcting for this. Next on my to-do list is to handle this more gracefully by generating interpolated frames for the missing frames before performing the full 60 fps interpolation.

Overall I'm quite happy with the results - they may not serve any scientific purposes but they sure are pretty. I think I will produce some more videos using the Butterflow library once I handle the missing-frames problem. I may also integrate it with typhoon track data to produce "typhoon tracker" videos centered on the typhoons as they move around, but this would require a method for getting pixel location from lat/long, which would require reprojection, which I'm not sure if I have enough data for. This is my first attempt at motion interpolation, so any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:14 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.