Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Solar-Powered Mars Rover Issues, Lessons From MER And Future Ideas
algorithm
post Aug 21 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6783

QUOTE (serpens @ Aug 21 2014, 01:06 AM) *
All in all the MSL wheels have done pretty well.

IMHO, that's a pretty low expectation. Personally I wouldn't bolt on a nuclear generator just to enable a rover to last the lifetime of a wheel, especially if that wheel did 'pretty well' to last two years. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mcaplinger
post Aug 22 2014, 01:28 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (algorithm @ Aug 21 2014, 12:17 PM) *
Personally I wouldn't bolt on a nuclear generator just to enable a rover to last the lifetime of a wheel...

Without some kind of active solar panel cleaning, which we don't know how to do in a practical and flight-qualified way, there is simply no way to guarantee even two years of mission life on Mars without an RTG. The MERs got lucky with cleaning events.

MSL was designed to last two years, which means in general that it was life-tested for four years. Anything past that is gravy.

That said, it's been stated that the degree of wheel damage was unexpected. Hindsight is 20/20.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Feb 1 2020, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 21 2014, 08:28 PM) *
MSL was designed to last two years, which means in general that it was life-tested for four years. Anything past that is gravy.
That said, it's been stated that the degree of wheel damage was unexpected. Hindsight is 20/20.

Somewhat related to this topic is a paper I just published on the derivation of distance requirements for planetary rovers.
(free pdf link until 22 March)

https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1aVIs%7E6Oif2fu

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Feb 2 2020, 05:23 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Feb 1 2020, 02:10 PM) *
Somewhat related to this topic is a paper I just published on the derivation of distance requirements for planetary rovers.
(free pdf link until 22 March)

https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1aVIs%7E6Oif2fu

Ralph, that link brings up a blank Elsevier page.

Here's a direct link to the journal page; don't know if there's a free download through this link (I can't test because my university affiliation allows me to access this journal).

How far is far enough? Requirements derivation for planetary mobility systems

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:18 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.