Reply to this topicStart new topic
MECA (microscope) Images
elakdawalla
post Jul 9 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #61

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

See my update from today -- they hope to finish characterization of the Atomic Force Microscope tosol, so we should shortly begin to see it being used on samples already tagged in the OM.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 9 2008, 04:14 PM
Post #62

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Can we identify the Vestry location in an image?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
TheChemist
post Jul 12 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 112

The first AFM image of a test material was obtained.
So at least we know the AFM works as planned.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/phoenix/images.php?fileID=14644

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jul 22 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #64

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

For those who haven't seen it yet, there's a new installment in Tom Pike's BBC blog:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7408033.stm

Interesting bit about the AFM:
"The particles, though, are much more difficult to image. They tend to be pushed about by the sharp tip of the AFM, frustrating our attempts. On Earth, we'd be able to turn a few knobs to minimise the forces between the tip and the particle.

For Phoenix, each "tweak" of the computer code takes hours to prepare and the results from Mars aren't known until the next sol. We also have to book ahead to be able to run our microscopes on Phoenix.

What takes just a few minutes to run on the testbed in our laboratory in Tucson takes several sols to complete on Mars. A good deal of patience is a requirement for any member of the science team. "

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 22 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (remcook @ Jul 22 2008, 09:09 AM) *
"The particles, though, are much more difficult to image. They tend to be pushed about by the sharp tip of the AFM, frustrating our attempts. On Earth, we'd be able to turn a few knobs to minimise the forces between the tip and the particle.

Roadblocks on all fronts, it seems.

In the BBC blog, I wonder what the point is of making soil/ice mixtures in one's kitchen--not exactly Mars conditions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jul 22 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #66

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

I wonder if they anticipted this problem. In laymans terms, its not working.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jul 22 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #67

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jul 22 2008, 10:24 AM) *
In the BBC blog, I wonder what the point is of making soil/ice mixtures in one's kitchen--not exactly Mars conditions.

I'd guess that they are taking the soil/ice mixtures and then putting them under partial vacuum (or what passes for atmospheric pressure on Mars) and watching stuff sublime.

[BTW, we do this all the time with water-soluble compounds. Dissolve in water, freeze, then put under a high vacuum to sublime out the water. The dissolved stuff slowly precipitates out in the frozen matrix and becomes hyperfluffy. The lyophilization process makes it real easy to manipulate miniscule amounts of material (sub-milligram quanities) with a laboratory spatula.]

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Aussie
post Jul 23 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 2865

QUOTE (MahFL @ Jul 22 2008, 05:01 PM) *
I wonder if they anticipted this problem. In laymans terms, its not working.

They did. The substrate etching/holes were specifically designed to bound trapped particle size and minimise the movement of those particles. Given time they will probably be able to adjust the focus to reflect the sample, but the tip is delicate and vulnerable to the effects of rough particles. Overall the inclusion of the AFM seems somewhat of a gamble and possibly this is why there is an AFM shaped hole in the Mission Success Criteria.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 23 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #69

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Have to ask why it's even considered part of the mission success criteria, then. Nobody's ever flown an AFM before, AFAIK; if so, this is a pathfinder effort. Deploying the thing and getting a read on the control target is a success, as far as I'm concerned. Learning about the effects of environmental variables is one reason it's there in the first place.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jul 23 2008, 07:17 AM
Post #70

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 23 2008, 03:04 AM) *
Have to ask why it's even considered part of the mission success criteria, then.

According to Mark in the mission success thread use of the AFM is not a mission success criteria. The OM alone is enough to satisfy "It shall also analyze 3 additional samples in its microscopy station."

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Aussie
post Jul 23 2008, 07:38 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 2865

Poor use of language. By 'an AFM shaped hole in the Mission Success Criteria' I meant that the AFM was not included in the criteria. I agree with Mark.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jul 24 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (remcook @ Jul 22 2008, 07:09 AM) *
For those who haven't seen it yet, there's a new installment in Tom Pike's BBC blog:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7408033.stm

Interesting bit about the AFM:

For Phoenix, each "tweak" of the computer code takes hours to prepare and the results from Mars aren't known until the next sol. We also have to book ahead to be able to run our microscopes on Phoenix.

What takes just a few minutes to run on the testbed in our laboratory in Tucson takes several sols to complete on Mars. A good deal of patience is a requirement for any member of the science team. "
I could hardly believe it when I first learned that Phoenix carried an AFM experiment. I don't know a lot about these devices, but sending one to Mars certainly seems like a bold move to me. huh.gif

I couldn't help but wonder though, about the "computer code tweaking/uplinking/downlinking" strategy. Might it not be easier to simply move the tip to another potentially trapped particle, and try to probe it with the default parameters? I suspect my ignorance of interplanetary AFM operations prevents me from seeing the errors in my suggestion, but I couldn't help but speak my mind. ph34r.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
teck
post Jul 24 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 170

Anyone wants to identify these tiny grains from the OM?
This looks like a nice catch.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 24 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (teck @ Jul 24 2008, 03:50 PM) *
Anyone wants to identify these tiny grains from the OM?

J-j-jumping Juniper! A golden egg! T-twenty-four karat dilithium crystals! We're rich!

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 24 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #75

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The colours are really hard to pull out - looks cool though. This is a mosaic of three obs that cover the whole substrate.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2024 - 06:05 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.