Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager Question....
tedstryk
post Mar 24 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #1

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I am trying to figure out Voyager's NAC resolution at 251,000 km, 435,000 km, and 708,000 km. I have always calculated this in the past, but my numbers seem wrong and I am nervous...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 24 2009, 03:11 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Member No.: 454

I understand this kind of paranoia! smile.gif

The Voyager NAC pixel FOV is 0.000530 degrees (source: Voyager 1 NAC instrument description)

0.000530 degrees = 0.00925 millradians

251,000 km x 0.00925 millradians = 2.32 km/pixel
435,000 km x 0.00925 millradians = 4.02 km/pixel
708,000 km x 0.00925 millradians = 6.55 km/pixel

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 24 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #3

Thanks - That's what I thought, but 2.32 seemed too high and was making me nervous - I have a tendency to make silly mistakes with things like this and was having a pre-LPSC panic moment - thanks!

Calculations with lots of zeros scare me. My calculus professor used to have great laughs showing my work on the overhead projector (I felt cool!). He claimed I was the only student he ever had who could do the calculus with ease but routinely screwed up the arithmetic! I always leave out, add or transpose a number somewhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Mar 24 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #4

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

To complicate matters a bit, there is significant geometric distortion in the Voyager images so the pixel scale really isn't completely uniform across the image. Once the images have been geometrically corrected they look like this:

Attached Image

This is a Voyager 1 image of Rhea from the calibrated and geometrically corrected Voyager volumes at the PDS Rings Node.

I don't think this is usually taken into account when the resolution is specified and the effect is small. Where the image above is widest (top/bottom), the FOV ~0.438 degrees if you omit the black 'frame' around the image and 0.424 degrees near the center because the image edge is 'curved'.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 25 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Mar 25 2009, 12:54 AM) *

Well, for this purpose, I simply needed a ballpark number. But yes, for mapping, that is important.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.