32 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Apollo Sites from LRO
Hungry4info
post Apr 16 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #346

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

With LRO being in a polar orbit, I don't see why not.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 16 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #347

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

The timing would still be pretty finicky; not sure how frequently opportunities would occur. The Moon's orbit is inclined around 30 degrees to Earth's equator, but is it close to coplanar with the Ecliptic? The LRR's reflective surface is presumably normal to the Earth's sublunar point.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 16 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #348

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

It may not be a good idea to look for that reflection. LOLA specifically avoids such reflections.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Apr 16 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #349

Member No.: 523

They can (and do IIRC) turn LOLA off every time they pass over a site with retroreflectors.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 16 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #350

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

They'd better! LOLA would be fried if they lasered one of those. That's one incentive for locating the Lunokhods & other Russian hardware -- presumably they can now narrow the LOLA region of avoidance for those areas.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Apr 16 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #351

Member No.: 105

I'm thinking it could be possible-- the LRO-LRR-Sun phase angle could get close enough to be within the "beamwidth" of the retroreflector. At best the Sun would need to be near to the Earth in the Lunar sky and that would be a few hours after the "new Earth" (or full Moon) at the 4deg longitude of A-15.

No idea how bright or long the flash would be. I'm presuming it would subtend 1/2 deg (width of the Sun) so it would be a quick flash, and the brightness would be an inverse-square function of the reflector area.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
FordPrefect
post Apr 22 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #352

Member No.: 738

QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 15 2010, 11:57 AM) *
Making anaglyphs from stereo pairs - it's almost impossible to claim vertical accuracy in terms of exaggeration. We've had this discussion before with HiRISE or maybe CTX images. We're looking at a geometry when your eyeballs would be several km apart, 50 km above the lunar surface, and you can't back out of that to a more 'human' perspective without generating a DEM, and then re-rendering that as an Anaglyph.

Doug and others, is there any free software available which can calculate just a "simple" relative elevation model from the sources used for these anaglyphs? I suspect the answer is no, but you never know. It is just the tought of creating a highly detailed digital terrain model of the landing site areas. If the program was just able to put out a greyscale bumpmap in order to displace a plane in 3dsMax... dreaming away...
I once tried a demo version of LISA which came along on a CD in a book about Photogrametry from the local library. As it was a demo only, it did not allow to export anything, and I had not managed to get something reasonable out of it.

Thank you very much for any feedback about this. Greetings, Rafael

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 22 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #353

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The way HiRISE DEM's are made, generally speak, is via BA's 'SOCET SET' software, which runs to about 5 figures in price.

Ames research centre are working on a free version that bolts into ISIS - http://ti.arc.nasa.gov/tech/asr/intelligent-robotics/ngt/

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Apr 23 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #354

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Here's a 'locator' for the Apollo 15 site in that raw image:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
dshaffer
post Apr 23 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #355

Member No.: 29

Excellent - very helpful!

+Quote Post
dmg
post Apr 23 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #356

Member No.: 2392

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Apr 16 2010, 12:01 PM) *
I see that the location of the Apollo 15 LRR (Lunar Ranging Retroreflector) has been identified

http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc_browse/view/M111578606LE

I'm very confused.

I have found the landing site in the M111578606LE raw image and it matches the one shown on the LROC site for Apollo 15

BUT..... how can these be of the Apollo 15 site next to the Hadley Rille and the Appennine Front (see:

)?

Any angle of the LROC strip would have caught parts of the Appennine mountains or the Rille. I just don't see how the M111578606LE can actually be of Apollo 15's landing site.

Any explanation?

+Quote Post
FordPrefect
post Apr 24 2010, 10:56 AM
Post #357

Member No.: 738

QUOTE (dmg @ Apr 23 2010, 11:55 PM) *
I'm very confused.
Any explanation?

The landing site in M111578606LE is at the very left edge of the image, just enough to cut out the Rille which would appear a tad more to the left. Also, if you look further south, you can see the slopes of the Apennine mountains (the bright material).
Also compare it with M111571816.

@Doug: Thanks for your feedback, I'll keep checking that link/website you posted above!

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Apr 30 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #358

Here's a couple of views of the Apollo 15 landing site, separated by nearly 40 years; top is a mosaic of stills from the film shot during the ascent into lunar orbit; below that is a recent view from LRO that Phil posted in another thread:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Apr 30 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #359

Here's a version of the ascent mosaic that is more extended in the direction of the rille:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Apr 30 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #360

Member No.: 4489

The way HiRISE DEM's are made, generally speak, is via BA's 'SOCET SET' software, which runs to about 5 figures in price.

Ames research centre are working on a free version that bolts into ISIS - http://ti.arc.nasa.gov/tech/asr/intelligent-robotics/ngt/

StereoPipeline works just fine on CentOS 5.4
BUT
will NOT run on ARCH , or any other very new os ( fedora 12/13 ) - an old version of glibc is needed .

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.