IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

UMSF@10, We've come a long, long way together...
Astro0
post Feb 8 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Our first banner. One of UMSF's early banners.

On the 8th of February 2004, a much younger Doug Ellison set up and made the very first posts on a new forum called Unmanned Spaceflight.com.

Here are those very first posts: Welcome | First Image

Ten years and many, many more images and posts later, hundreds of members and guests regularly visit and contribute to these pages to share their enthusiasm for space exploration.

Thanks Doug for getting us all started on this journey. smile.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Astro0
post Feb 8 2014, 10:59 PM
Post #2

The byline in our Unmanned Spaceflight.com banner is 'exploring the solar system and beyond from the comfort of home'.

To celebrate that idea, here are some images of 'home' from across the solar system along with our UMSF.com 10th anniversary logo.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

1. Mars Exploration Rovers | 2. Voyager | 3. Cassini | 4. Curiosity

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 8 2014, 11:43 PM
Post #3

Two more wallpapers for good measure wink.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

By the way, it would be nice to hear from readers about their best memories or moments on UMSF or how they came to find the Forum originally. smile.gif
For me it was when Steve Squyres introduced me to the Forum on the day that Spirit reached the summit of Husband Hill. The rest is history!
Also, if you happen to tweet about UMSF's anniversary, use the hashtag #UMSF10

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 9 2014, 01:36 AM
Post #4

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Who would have thought that the scrappy forum I threw up on spare webspace back in February 2004 would still be around today. I'm e a little bit proud, but largely astonished that people have stuck around despite my bombastic efforts as an admin smile.gif I know of at least two people who now have careers within the fields of space exploration and planetary science because of this place. That's probably what I'm most proud this place has achieved.

A huge thank you to the admin team - especially Glen, Emily, Dan - who do a far far better job of keeping this place in shape than I could ever have imagined doing myself.

Thanks must also go to Emily and the rest of The Planetary Society staff for giving UMSF a roof over its head since 2010

To the members, this dysfunctional, creative, brilliant, knowledgeable and inquisitive bunch crazy enough to call this place their exploration home - thanks for sharing your creativity with us and helping share the excitement of exploration with the rest of the world.

But the most thanks of all have to go to Steve Squyres and Jim Bell - for being brave enough to let us come along for the ride when Spirit and Opportunity landed ten years ago.

Who knows what adventures we will have, what landscapes we will see and what incredible discoveries will be made in the next ten years.

Cheers

Doug

+Quote Post
climber
post Feb 9 2014, 02:30 AM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

This forum is very special to me. It started on the very day of my 50th birthday...
Thanks for the best birthday present I'll ever have Doug.
Thanks to admins to have kept it this way up to my 60th birthday.
Thanks to the others for sharing your pictures and passion
--gilles

ADMIN: From all of us on this day - happy birthday to you - we're in good company. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MizarKey
post Feb 9 2014, 02:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 45

I came here after doing a search on the rovers. It quickly became the first site I'd check in the morning. I am grateful to Doug for starting the forum and keeping it at a high level from the start. A lot of cool and knowledgeable people have posted. I look forward to Pluto!

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 9 2014, 04:32 AM
Post #7

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Gilles, you're in good company, it's my birthday too wink.gif (number 39, for real). Glad to be a part of this place.
ADMIN: Seriously, this day is turning into a real party. Happy birthday Emily from all of us. smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Feb 9 2014, 07:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 150

Happy birthday to Gilles, Emily and, obviously, UMSF! smile.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 9 2014, 08:09 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 5221

I first got here from a link on Phil Plait's old Bad Astronomy forum right around the beginning, with the old rlproject.com domain (by who, I don't know). Lurked for six years, but I never looked back! I first figured out how special this place was when Doug interviewed Steve Squyres the first time:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=1367
(check post #5 for a not-so-accurate prediction on rover longevity wink.gif )

Thanks to the mods for the stability from the forces of chaos (to which I have unintentionally contributed on occasion!)
Here's to the next 10!

+Quote Post
remcook
post Feb 9 2014, 09:25 AM
Post #10

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

I was a bored space enthusiast/student with too much time on my hands and looking at many different space-related internet fora. There was a link in one of them to this place. I really enjoyed (and still do) all the magic images people make here and knowledge about things (mainly geology) about which I know nothing about. smile.gif Everyone has done a great jonb and hope to enjoy it for many more years!

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Feb 9 2014, 10:11 AM
Post #11

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Heck, it's being at home!
Thank you, Doug, it definitely wouldn't be the same without UMSF.
Looking forward for the Ithacas to come on the horizon in the next decade!

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Feb 9 2014, 12:55 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4350

I joined when I saw on the news Oppy had been roving for two years, and I couldn't believe she was still working (yeah, about that...)

And one of my first forum memories: the high speed turtle!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 9 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #13

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

I was searching for information about unmanned spacecraft fault protection systems for my MS thesis, and the rest is history. UMSF's been far more valuable to me than that stupid degree ever has been! smile.gif

The most amazing thing is that I've met a number of REALLY neat people and made some true friends thereby, some of whom I've actually met in person. That's just astonishing, really. This special place has had an extremely positive impact on many lives including mine.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Feb 9 2014, 05:46 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3511

Many Happy Returns & Thanks to everyone at UMSF, you epitomize the sharing of the joy of exploration...
...memorable highlight : Iapetus close ups coming down, what a night!
And, the best is yet to come... smile.gif

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 9 2014, 06:36 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 530

I was an occasional visitor to the yellow forum-- top result on google-- and got fed up with magenta scribbles on B&W rock pareidoila for the nth time and finally this place was ranking on google.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:20 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.