Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hayabusa Post-Landing & Science Results
nprev
post Jun 17 2010, 02:41 AM
Post #1

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

The capsule began its return to Japan a few moments ago as I write this. Seems like a good time to start a new topic for the much-anticipated final results of this epic mission.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 17 2010, 04:23 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

Here's for hoping the capsule does indeed contain a piece of Itokawa! smile.gif

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 17 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #3

Merciless Robot

Perhaps this is unduly optimistic, but I think that it's relatively hard for it not to have at least a trace of dust inside at some point in the ingestion path.

Haven't seen any discussion about or references to the possible electrostatic condition of the spacecraft with respect to Itokawa but there must have been some potential, of course, and probably a bit of dust was raised during the landings.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Jun 17 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3511

The team are confident. Is that the end of the sampling horn(and the craft) had a slight motion while parked or just the disturbance from the landing impact?

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jun 19 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5323

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Jun 17 2010, 01:23 PM) *
Here's for hoping the capsule does indeed contain a piece of Itokawa! smile.gif

The capsule was X-rayed today with a resolution of 1 mm. This is from the local press here. Unfortunately, there was no grain of that size. However, the lid had been found to be frmly closed.

Oh well, we have got NASA's going out in November this year. I dearly hope that will succeed this time.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 19 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 197

Do you have a link for that information Pandaneko?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 19 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #7

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Plus, What's the November reference? The EPOXI Hartley 2 flyby?

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jun 20 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 20 2010, 04:00 AM) *
Do you have a link for that information Pandaneko?

No, I do not. It was reported in the Asahi Simbun (newspaper) yesterday. There was an additional comment there (which I did not translate), I think, from somebody within JAXA, that they had not expected to find such large grains to be there in the first place.

They were apparently looking for something like 0.5 mm grains to be found in the capsule. Are not they too small for analysis? The X-ray resolution did not reach that scale and so we will have to see what they may do next.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jun 20 2010, 08:54 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 20 2010, 04:14 AM) *
Plus, What's the November reference? The EPOXI Hartley 2 flyby?

Here, I do not, either. It is information I found during the last one month in search for more info about Hayabusa, somewhere out on the net that NASA was going to launch a SRM in November this year. I was excited when I saw it. I hope that they will!

By the way, what do you guys think? I have since found some more stories about the last stage of Hayabusa, from people who was assinged to take the last Earth photo, for instance and other people, too, and I found them interesting and am willing to translate.

However, I am not exactly sure if I should do it over here at this forum or inside the previous long viewing forum.

I mus hasten to add that I am not 100% sure if I will be able to find them again. I think they were somewhere inside JAXA site.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 20 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #10

Merciless Robot

Pandaneko, I'm not aware of any approved NASA sample return missions. Your source may have been referring to the OSIRIS-REX proposal, which is one of three finalists for the next New Frontiers mission.

I'm not sure when the final selection will be made, but even if it makes the cut I doubt it will fly much before 2014 or so.

EDIT: Whups. I should read the whole article before posting. The final selection will be made in mid-2011, and the chosen project has to launch by 30 Dec 2018.

EDIT2: This English article (dated 19 Jun) from Asahi Shimbun does mention that JAXA was going to X-ray the capsule to 'look for internal damage'. Might be a translation difficulty, or the <1 mm constraint on upper particle size might have been an ancilliary finding.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jun 20 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 20 2010, 07:22 PM) *
Pandaneko, I'm not aware of any approved NASA sample return missions. Your source may have been referring to the OSIRIS-REX proposal, which is one of three finalists for the next New Frontiers mission.

I'm not sure when the final selection will be made, but even if it makes the cut I doubt it will fly much before 2014 or so.

EDIT: Whups. I should read the whole article before posting. The final selection will be made in mid-2011, and the chosen project has to launch by 30 Dec 2018.

EDIT2: This English article (dated 19 Jun) from Asahi Shimbun does mention that JAXA was going to X-ray the capsule to 'look for internal damage'. Might be a translation difficulty, or the <1 mm constraint on upper particle size might have been an ancilliary finding.

I feel very sad to know that NASA may not make it while I am alive..., if this were right.

Anyway, let your wife see what follows.

http://www.asahi.com/special/space/TKY201006180486.html

I did try to find the physical newspaper with that article, but I could not find it. My wife might have disposed of it with other papers by now. So, I tried the Asahi website.

It does say what I posted, but I cannnot find JAXA comments with it. Perhaps, web versions may be shortened?

What I think happened may be something like this. They wanted to check out on the damage, as soon as possible, that might have been done to the capsule and that probably did not need high resolution.

And yet, they at the same time wanted to have a quick look in with that low resolution X-ray (I would do that!) before full investigation.

Liquid washing might be the most conclusive option..., not sure...

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 20 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #12

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 20 2010, 02:22 AM) *
Pandaneko, I'm not aware of any approved NASA sample return missions.

That's because right now, there isn't one. I think the November reference may well have been a lost-in-translation cross-over between proposed missions, and the EPOXI flyby.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 20 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #13

Merciless Robot

Here's a Bing translation of the Ashai article you linked to, Pandaneko:

"Capsule from asteroid "Itokawa" spacecraft "Peregrine" brought to Earth, including big sand 1 mm or more is that they are not 18, was confirmed. Aerospace development agency but x-ray study internal situation. Be included in such as 1 mm following dust have been left yet.
 Japan Agency facilities located in Tokyo, Chofu City carried capsules taken inside the x-ray. Confirmed that vessel to reclaim Itokawa sand lid is firmly closed. It is said that there was no such sand particles on the other hand, resolution photos of 1 mm to change such as.
 Was the plan to collect debris scattered and fired small bullet when you land on Itokawa Hayabusa,. That might include dust soared in the shock of landing at the bullet firing failed, but entered the capsule and expectations."

My wife's interpretation was that the X-rays should have been able to resolve any particles larger than 1 mm. Also, it's confirmed that the sampling pellet did not fire. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Jun 20 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 351

Here is a link to the late Bruce Moomaw's description of the proposed OSIRIS-ReX mission OSIRIS-REx summary

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 22 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #15

Merciless Robot

Short Aviation Week article today. Highlight: It may take up to six months to determine if the capsule contains any material from Itokawa.

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:27 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.