Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Webcam Imaging of Mercury's Rotation, Amateur images of Mercury
jsheff
post Nov 26 2007, 01:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 411

Hi, all,

A fellow amateur astronomer in the Boston area, John Boudreau, has been getting some neat images of Mercury, including some that show longitudes not mapped by Mariner 10. He's put together a few of them into a movie that shows Mercury's rotation and changing phase.

Before you go to check out the link, I'd like to remind you that this was all done using a backyard telescope and an inexpensive webcam - equipment readily affordable to hobbyists, using image stacking techniques that were pioneered by amateur astronomers, and that are now being refined by people like John. And perhaps most remarkably, his imaging was done from sites in the densely-populated suburb of Saugus, Mass. - not exactly an area known for dark skies and good seeing!

http://home.comcast.net/~jeboud/mercury.htm

- John Sheff
Cambridge, MA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
tasp
post Nov 26 2007, 03:56 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 162

Like riding along with MESSENGER and looking back at Mercury after the first flyby coming up soon.

Thanks, really whets the appetite for the upcoming show in January.

I think upcoming missions frequently inspire excellent work from the (not so) amatuer community.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 26 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #3

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I would suggest looking at some of the other planetary images on his site. The Mercury ones are good, but so are his shots of the other planets.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 26 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Nov 25 2007, 11:48 PM) *
I would suggest looking at some of the other planetary images on his site. The Mercury ones are good, but so are his shots of the other planets.

I agree. This guy has some amazing work up there. The detail in his these images is astounding. The Jupiter image is really something. Thanks John for posting this.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:48 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.