9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
HiRISE and Mars Polar Lander
tharrison
post Jan 10 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 5163

If you want to expand your search beyond the MPL landing ellipse, you might try looking at CTX images as well, as the Phoenix hardware is all visible in CTX.

--------------------
Twitter: @tanyaofmars
Web: http://www.tanyaofmars.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jan 11 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #122

Guests

Has the entire landing ellipse been covered by HiRISE now? If the hardware were as obvious on the surface as those of phoenix/MER etc, I would have thought something would have been seen by now. Im wondering if we will ever find it now. Or perhaps something else went wrong in the early decent and it was destroyed in the atmosphere.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 11 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #123

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The last comment I saw from Tim Parker was that a small spot in a CTX image outside the HiRISE coverage would be looked at in HiRISE as the season became favorable again.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tharrison
post Jan 12 2010, 02:51 AM
Post #124

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jan 11 2010, 05:32 AM) *
Has the entire landing ellipse been covered by HiRISE now? If the hardware were as obvious on the surface as those of phoenix/MER etc, I would have thought something would have been seen by now. Im wondering if we will ever find it now. Or perhaps something else went wrong in the early decent and it was destroyed in the atmosphere.

Yes, it has, and CTX acquired continuous coverage of a good area outside of the ellipse as well. As one of the CTX science operations team members, I can tell you that we've looked at all of the CTX and MOC images in and around the ellipse and haven't found anything particularly promising. I'll be interested to see what the spot is that Tim Parker is referring to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 12 2010, 03:08 AM
Post #125

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Tanya, let me be the first to welcome you to unmannedspaceflight.com! I'm sure I can speak for all the members when I say I'm looking forward to your perspective on stuff in space! CTX doesn't get nearly enough love -- just by posting here you'll help to get it a little more attention.

[But ewww, a Wesleyan grad. Go Ephs.]

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 12 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #126

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jan 11 2010, 05:32 AM) *
Has the entire landing ellipse been covered by HiRISE now?

I think that may depend on your definition of "entire landing ellipse"; there were several based on various assumptions of atmospheric conditions and entry state, some larger than others. See http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/1_24_0...nder/index.html though I am not sure what current thinking about this is.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
tharrison
post Jan 13 2010, 01:36 AM
Post #127

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 11 2010, 07:08 PM) *
Tanya, let me be the first to welcome you to unmannedspaceflight.com! I'm sure I can speak for all the members when I say I'm looking forward to your perspective on stuff in space! CTX doesn't get nearly enough love -- just by posting here you'll help to get it a little more attention.

[But ewww, a Wesleyan grad. Go Ephs.]

Thanks! smile.gif CTX is definitely under-appreciated by both the public and the scientific community. It is an AMAZING dataset, and the images are simply stunning. Part of my job is to look at every image that comes back from CTX each day, and I never get tired of it.

Here is a CTX image (P22_009725_2484_XI_68N125W) of Phoenix from back in August 2008; admittedly, this doesn't showcase the CTX at its best as the image is a bit murky, but that's hard to avoid at the Phoenix landing site:

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 13 2010, 03:03 AM
Post #128

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

That's cool, it certainly stands out! -- and an advantage of lower resolution is that the image doesn't look as cruddy as the HiRISE images from the same time period smile.gif

To get to the full CTX frame knowing any image number, append "http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst/ctx/" to the front, so this one is

http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst...2484_XI_68N125W

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Nov 10 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 285

I was just reading this article on the difficulties of finding/identifying non-human artifacts around the solar system (http://news.discovery.com/space/our-solar-system-might-be-littered-with-alien-artifacts-111109.html), which included this picture of the 14 ft wide Lunar Surveyor 6 lander, as seen by the LRO:

http://blogs.discovery.com/.a/6a00d8341bf6...15b68970d-800wi

The low sun angle really makes this lander stand-out clearly as a spike of shadow. Certainly it could be confused with a boulder, but at least in this case there're not a lot of boulders around to confuse the issue. This leads me to wonder whether the search for the Mars Polar Lander might be revisited using low sun angle images from MRO. Or was this an aspect of the existing search?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 10 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #130

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Given the latitude of the MPL landing site - the sun is always at a low angle.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Nov 10 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #131

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 10 2011, 01:11 PM) *
...the sun is always at a low angle.

I estimate that it could range from about 0 to 50 degrees depending on season and time of day. I would consider low sun angle to be less than approximately 15 degrees to yield a real benefit in feature recognition. If the terrain is as flat as what Phoenix observed, MPL should leave a very prominent spike of shadow at such a low sun angle. Obviously this would be less-so in rocky or high-relief terrain. Scattering from dust in the atmosphere would weaken the contrast of the shadow at all sun angles, so images during times when there is little dust in the atmosphere would be optimal.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 10 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #132

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Nov 10 2011, 12:01 PM) *
I would consider low sun angle to be less than approximately 15 degrees to yield a real benefit in feature recognition.

When the SNR will be poor because it's so dark.

If the terrain is as flat as what Phoenix observed,

It isn't.

MPL should leave a very prominent spike of shadow at such a low sun angle.

After a decade of seasonal frost crushing?

If you didn't know where PHX was....could you find it in the pictures taken a martian year after landing? Now make that 5x worse. I doubt it'd be visible at all.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Nov 11 2011, 02:33 AM
Post #133

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 10 2011, 04:01 PM) *
When the SNR will be poor because it's so dark.

Clearly there would be some optimal balance between solar angle and optimal shadow SNR, as a function of atmospheric dust load. It seemed to work rather well on the low albedo lunar surface, I'm not sure how that compares with the lower insolation on the higher albedo Mars in combination with scattering from atmospheric dust.

It isn't.

Clearly there is a blend of topography, some regions rather flat, others less so.

After a decade of seasonal frost crushing?

Good question. I don't know. Possibly this completely invalidates the notion. Has it been modeled?

could you find it in the pictures taken a martian year after landing?

Definitely more challenging considering the additional dust cover and crushing. On the other hand, the combination of a suggestive spike of shadow from a recent low solar incidence angle image, with a clearer image from the original search campaign, might be sufficient to firm-up an identification.

I don't have all the answers. It may or may not be worth doing, which I why I put it out there for (ideally, constructive) discussion.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:44 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.