IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spacecraft that never were..., Anyone heard of these projects..?
Stu
post Apr 14 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #1

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Browsing a second hand store today here in Kendal I came across a dusty, rather battered looking book from 1969: "FRONTIERS OF SPACE In Colour", by Philip Bono and the rightly revered Kenneth Gatland. Obviously, pre-dating Apollo 11, it "looks ahead" to the wonderful new age of the shuttle, and missions to Mars (sniff) but also spends a lot of time dealing with ambitious projects and programs that were on the drawing board at that time but never made it any further. There are some really great looking but obviously doomed-to-never-fly spacecraft in there, most of them on a recoverable theme, and I just wondered if any of our space historians here either a) knew about them already, or cool.gif wanted me to send them scans of the pics for their archives...?

Wonders such as:

Boeing's proposal for recovering the S-1C rocket stage in the sea after a parachute landing...

Lockheed's design for a two man lifting body with "swing wings"...

Lockheed's "Starclipper" lifting body-derived space shuttle with "wrap-around" fuel tanks (VERY Thunderbirds!)

Proposed land-recovery of reusable S-IVB rocket stage, using a combination of parachutes and landing legs!

"Saturn Application Single Stage To Orbit"

Hyperion Rocket Sled (VERY "When Worlds Collide"!)

ROMBUS (Re-usable Orbital Module Booster and Utility Shuttle)

Pegasus Intercontinental Passenger rocket (enough room inside for 43 people plus cargo!) which could be modified to make the Ithacus "Intercontinental Troop Transport", to rapidly deliver 1200 soldiers (with rocket back packs, according to the artwork!) to any trouble spot in the world or even send people to Mars (Project Deimos)

Very interesting from a "what might have been / what were they thinking?" point of view.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 14 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Never heard of any of these, but boy do I want that book!!! Nice find, man! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Apr 14 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 279

Hi Stu,

I have that book - and very probably got it as a space-crazed 6-year-old in 1969!

Easily the best is the Pegasus Intercontinental rocket. It's the only way to get to those business meetings in Sydney, Australia, and back in time for tea...hmmm...shades of Heinlein's Friday in that form of transportation?

Andy

+Quote Post
NGC3314
post Apr 14 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3958

I think I still have that one on a shelf at home!

I guess it came along somewhat later - the historian at NASA MSFC sent me a copy of a description Boeing did of yet another variant of the S-IC. A piloted flyback booster with a whole lot of jet engines, which would have been by far the largest air-breathing supersonic aircraft ever built. The scanned description wasn't all that clean, but I could grab the outlines and compare to another Boeing product of similar vintage (if the attachment works).
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ddeerrff
post Apr 14 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 251

Then there is this one:
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1045/1

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 14 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #6

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Possibly my favourite...

"Troops disembark from the Ithacus rocket transport at their destination halfway across the world".

Attached Image

Note that "disembarkation" involves sliding down a chute... wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 14 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (Stu @ Apr 14 2008, 09:45 AM) *
Note that "disembarkation" involves sliding down a chute... wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! smile.gif

Speaking as a soon-to-be-former-troop, my response would have been "AHHHHHH!!!!<CLINK!!!><CLINK!!!>" (thud)(brief pause) "<CLINKCLINKCLINKCLINK!!!.....>"

(User acceptance is an integral consideration for weapons system design, of course... rolleyes.gif )

Even more aggravating, it looks like the officers came down a less terrifying route...figures! ph34r.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Mark6
post Apr 14 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 435

QUOTE (AndyG @ Apr 14 2008, 12:54 PM) *
Hi Stu,

I have that book - and very probably got it as a space-crazed 6-year-old in 1969!

Easily the best is the Pegasus Intercontinental rocket. It's the only way to get to those business meetings in Sydney, Australia, and back in time for tea...hmmm...shades of Heinlein's Friday in that form of transportation?

Andy

Well, we kind of have it now...

Accomodations look like a bitch though, and I see no windows in the picture! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:16 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.