IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
HiRISE Images on 'Mars on Google Earth', Incorrect location of PSP_002347_1915 on the surface
Stuart H
post Nov 16 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4752

Am I the only person who has noted the incorrect location of the HiRISE image PSP_002347_1915 on the surface of Mars in Google Earth ?

It has been placed at 11.69° North, instead of 11.59°.
This can be easily confirmed by adding the CTX image P03_002136_1918_XI_11N269W at 11.75°N; 90.88°E and adjusting its transparency.
2 main craters in PSP_002347_1915 are seen to move wrt CTX.
But the CTX image lines up well with the background Mars surface.

Does anyone know how to inform the guys at 'Mars on Google Earth' of the error and get it fixed ?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 16 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Stuart, there's been lots of discussion about the maps and postions over on this thread and this one where Ross Beyer from the Planetary Content Team at NASA Ames, works with Google, Inc. to get content into Google Mars.

These are the guys to ask, but believe me they already know the problems and are working to fix them. wink.gif

+Quote Post
schaffman
post Nov 17 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5246

Google has another problem with their Mars coordinates. They show the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn at +/-23.45 degrees latitude. This is for Earth, not Mars. On Mars, the tropical latitudes are from +25.19 to -25.19 degrees. This may not be a problem in relation to locating spacecraft image coordinates, but it's a blaring enough error to make me suspect the coordinates of anything shown on Google Mars. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed yet.

--Addendum to above--

Is Google accounting for the difference between areographic and areocentric coordinates? The discrepancy cited in the starting post is a tenth of a degree. This sounds about right for the expected difference of the two coordinate systems at latitude 11 degrees. Just a thought.

Tom

+Quote Post
Stuart H
post Nov 17 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4752

ADMIN: Unnecessary quoting removed. Refer to Posting Etiquette under the Forum Guidelines.

I think it is just 'finger trouble'. Someone hit the 6 button instead of 5 when entering the co-ordinates.
But I like your suggestion, Tom.

Stuart

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.