IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Cassini Images Of The Galileans
ugordan
post Dec 9 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Has anyone out there experimented with processing the very limited image dataset of Jupiter's icy moons? Most images I found that targeted them specifically are horribly underexposed to the point they look like 4 bit images.
I tried fiddling around with what can be done, below's my poor attempt at color compositing Europa, Ganymede and Callisto images. I took 3 polarized UV and GRN filtered images and stacked them together to reduce noise. I also stacked various IR images except for Europa where only a single red frame existed and, consequently, the red channel is very noisy.
Oh, and then there's the *awful* 2Hz banding problem. It's quite noticeable, even in stacked images. I don't know how to remove it as it's at the point of being random brighter pixels (severe underexposure) rather than a brightness gradient...

Here's what I came up, the images are magnified 3x:
Attached Image

BTW, I was wondering whether we could open a dedicated thread to posting Cassini processed images from the PDS (be them Jupiter or Saturn ones), there's really a *lot* of material that could provide.. well, very pretty images if nothing else biggrin.gif
Sort of like that "processing of the historical imagery" thread...

Does that sound like a bad idea, is anyone interested?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.