Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Depth Perception--3D imaging, via xkcd
Floyd
post Aug 22 2011, 06:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1102

Ever look at clouds and can't quit grasp their size--well check out xkcd's "Depth Perception" for a solution

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Aug 22 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 285

I've long thought that would be a nifty thing to do, just more trouble than it's worth (I'd get bored with the video pretty quickly, I think). About 20-25 years ago I borrowed a friend's Canon AE1 to pair with my own, and did something very similar to this using the timer function (still-only, no video). Sadly, this was at a time when there were no puffy clouds to be found, just a couple of high layers of thin sheets of cloud, so it was less than satisfying. I still have the pics somewhere.

+Quote Post
machi
post Aug 22 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4057

I tried this, but very long baseline (between both cameras) is needed (> 100 meters).
These images were taken with different cameras with baseline ~100 meters.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Aug 22 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1102

I'm not the least surprised that multiple UMSFers have tried this. Looks like the author of xkcd would fit right in here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RJG
post Aug 22 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 492

I've taken some pretty striking 3D pairs of clouds and mountains from the air by letting the plane transport me from the left eye to the right eye position. I guess the baseline tends to be several hundreds of metres given the time my point and shoot camera takes to ready itself for the next image. I suppose I could grab frames from a movie but I like the enhance 3D effect you get from a long baseline.

It needs a window seat -obviously!- and the order of the image depends on whether you have a port or starboard window. It helps to pass the time and somehow justifies gazing out of the window...

Rob

+Quote Post
charborob
post Aug 23 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3908

I tried that same technique many years ago, and I got some interesting 3D aerial views of the Canadian Rockies.

+Quote Post
bill davis
post Aug 25 2011, 08:38 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4845

Long time lurker - first time poster.
Here are some examples of extremely long baseline stereo pairs and as you can see it is very effective.

Attached Image

Attached Image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billdavis6959

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 25 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 542

Just wanted to say I'm delighted to see this thread and hugely appreciate all the images posted. For a long time I too have been dreaming of doing this on Earth, Titan, Venus, Jupiter . . . As a child I discovered that it's easier to 'see' cloudscapes in 3D if you turn your head upside down. The brain seems better at interpreting a cloud 'floor' than a cloud 'ceiling'. When I'm painting skies I usually work with the painting upside down at least part of the time. Somebody should publish a book of 3D cloudscapes. It would help artists - and everyone - understand skies better.

Maybe someone at the Cloud Appreciation Society is already onto this. They have a lot more members around the world than we have. Is anybody here also a member there? http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/

+Quote Post
machi
post Aug 26 2011, 09:27 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (bill davis @ Aug 25 2011, 10:38 AM) *
Long time lurker - first time poster.
Here are some examples of extremely long baseline stereo pairs and as you can see it is very effective.

Very nice 3D pairs! Is it photographed from airplane?

"Maybe someone at the Cloud Appreciation Society is already onto this. They have a lot more members around the world than we have. Is anybody here also a member there? http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/"

Another nerdish Society, thanks for link! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RJG
post Aug 26 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 492

Thanks for the link to the Cloud Appreciation Society!

A glorious galley of cloud photographs - and only a fiver for a membership certificate and a badge! How could I resist?

Rob

+Quote Post
bill davis
post Aug 29 2011, 07:27 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4845

Those pairs are from the ISS. Sorry to bring up banned subject "The Gateway to Astronaut Photography of the Earth".

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Aug 29 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #12

Thanks for answer.
Manned spaceflight is banned, not photographs.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:36 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.