Ian R
post Jul 27 2010, 09:58 AM
Post #76

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Group: Members
Member No.: 437

Here's another Voyager 2 narrow angle view, taken on 28th of June, 1979:

Attached Image

A day later, this officially released composite was captured, and provides a useful comparison of how the different processing techniques affect the final result:

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA01370

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roby72
post Jul 27 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 89

As for realistic planetary movies without flickering - has anyone tried out Fantamorph ?

http://www.fantamorph.com/

Its not scientific software but it produces great flowing animations.
For the Voyager-Jupiter-movie-project an interesting addition I think !
Robert

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Jul 28 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 347

Beautifully results! The only improvement I can think off would be to correct for planet rotation between each color channel image. This would require image reprojection or at least some kind of manual warp applied to parts of the image.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 28 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 523

My hunch is you'd need reprojection software (bonus for illumination changes correction!) for really good results, especially dealing with WAC frames near closest approach. Then you'd probably have weird effects with limb haze, though. Best of both worlds could be merging limb shots with reprojected disk shots.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 29 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #80

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jul 25 2010, 10:12 PM) *
I think the color is significantly more realistic in the new version but beware that there might still be some bugs in my code so this might change slightly.

A quick sanity check on your code would be to check a known neutral case input. If you are working with I/F reflectance data (i.e. solar spectrum divided out), then putting in a completely flat (say unity) spectrum into the calculation and illuminating it with the D65 illuminant (which is the sRGB white point), you should get a completely neutral grey RGB color as output.

If you are working with radiance data instead, you will end up with a yellowish-orange color as that is what sunlight color appears in the D65 white point. The effect would be similar to setting a digital camera white balance to daylight/overcast and taking a picture or something under an incandescent lightbulb.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 8 2011, 02:01 AM
Post #81

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I processed a Voyager 1 crescent image of Callisto. It is amazing how much poorer the definition in Voyager 1 images is compared to Voyager 2. http://planetimages.blogspot.com/2011/12/c...t-callisto.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Dec 8 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 4057

Nice!
Is it from WAC or NAC?

" It is amazing how much poorer the definition in Voyager 1 images is compared to Voyager 2."

Isn't it caused by different exposition time and gain modes, more than differences between cameras?
After all, image technicians could use experiences from Voyager 1 flyby for Voyager 2 flyby.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 8 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #83

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (machi @ Dec 8 2011, 12:19 PM) *
Nice!
Is it from WAC or NAC?

" It is amazing how much poorer the definition in Voyager 1 images is compared to Voyager 2."

Isn't it caused by different exposition time and gain modes, more than differences between cameras?
After all, image technicians could use experiences from Voyager 1 flyby for Voyager 2 flyby.

It is from the NAC. Voyager 2's vidicon was roughly twice as sensitive as the one on Voyager 1, meaning that Voyager 1 images are more likely to be smeared.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.