First public release of Kaguya data
elakdawalla
post Nov 2 2009, 05:07 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I just received the following from Shin-ichi Sobue at JAXA:
The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) released data from the lunar explorer "KAGUYA" (SELENE) (L2 products) during the nominal operation phase (from December 21, 2007 to October 31, 2008) to the public through the Internet.
L2 products are calibrated/validated processed data from KAGUYA science mission instruments. By using the L2 products, researchers all over the world are expected to advance the scientific analysis and applicability investigation of the Moon.

"KAGUYA 3D Moon NAVI" services, which can show KAGUYA data using a three-dimension geographic information system (WebGIS) through the Internet, have also commenced. The developed software is based on NASA "World Wind" and the KAGUYA's images and data can be displayed using the 3D map projection function. It is necessary to download and install the free software. Please refer to the following homepage for details.

L2 products during the extended operational phase (until June 2009) are scheduled to be released after processing and calibration/validation are finished.

【KAGUYA(SELENE) Data Archive】
http://www.soac.selene.isas.jaxa.jp/

【KAGUYA 3D Moon NAVI】
http://wms.selene.jaxa.jp/3dmoon/index.html
I wish I could post some images but I'm having a bit of trouble with the Data Archive website -- got registered OK, but my searches seem to return database errors. And I couldn't seem to find my way to Terrain Camera data. Perhaps it's because my brain is somewhat mushy from a day of football and beer smile.gif But I give up for the night and give you guys the link in the hopes you can figure out how to get pretty pictures out of this website!

I've attached the whole doc that Shin-ichi sent me, which contains a little more info about the data sets in the release.

--Emily
Attached File(s)
Attached File  SELENE_data__archives_k_1.doc ( 578K ) Number of downloads: 105784

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 2 2009, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

First thing I wanted was TOPO data - and managed to get through registration, data search - all worked. Got my email with an FTP link for the 400 meg data file.

Download 4kb/sec.

I'll try again later - I wonder if it'll be mirrored by the PDS themselves.

(100 - 150kb/sec now)

+Quote Post
akuo
post Nov 2 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

Are they going to release the actual HD camera data?

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 2 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #4

Founder

That's copyrighted by the broadcast company that built the camera I believe - so no. The release specifically states

The position and time of movie images (only catalog information. HDTV movies can be seen on the JAXA digital archives and YouTube site

I managed to buy an import of the blu-ray disk they did and it's worth it for the 15 or so minutes that's included, but they've taken hours and hours of footage since then.

The question for me is - what to do with a .sl2 file.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 2 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #5

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I'm registered but I haven't figured it out yet - trying to get TC images or orthomaps in a given area, I search successfully but get 'no data'.

Terrain Camera data as far as I understand it comes in the LISM dataset.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 2 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #6

OK, getting somewhere... if you run the 3D Moon Java app you can view datasets on a globe, and rotate it to view any region. Works great for the altimetry, GRS, magnetometer etc. Then I display TC on that - just a few spots. Tycho is one, Mare Moscoviense another. So back to the database search. Select LISM datasets, search on Tycho coordinates, then choose TC orthomap, and bingo, lots of datasets.

Presumably the database will be populated with other TC scenes later.

Phil

EDIT: I've ordered a TC map scene (2 degrees by 2 degrees, on N rim of TYcho, Surveyor 7 area... I'll be able to FTP it soon. We'll see what we get.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 2 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #7

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

I'm downloading the elevation data (at least I hope it's the right file - LALT_GGT_NUM.sl2). Should be interesting...

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 2 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #8

--- still struggling with the format. My image appears to be a 8192 x 8192 pixel 32 bit image. So far nothing is opening it. Any suggestions (I mean from somebody who has successfully opened one!)

Edit: Oh poop! I didn't see this before. Should have done my homework first:

About ".sl2"file format
The form of the file compresses tar. Please uncompresses and use.
(example) tar xvf dddd.sl2
dddd.sl2 : Acquisition file name

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 2 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #9

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I'm glad you're slogging through this and not me! tongue.gif

Via Twitter it seems Mike Howard's been having some success with the topographic data.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 2 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #10

Founder

Well - I managed to look at the resulting file - after a header it's lat, long, alt

I don't have anything I know of that can turn that into something usefull for me, such as a high bit png/tiff/tga etc etc.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 2 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 2 2009, 04:24 PM) *
I don't have anything I know of that can turn that into something usefull for me, such as a high bit png/tiff/tga etc etc.

I'm on it. If my cats will leave me alone for awhile.

It's 5760x2880 floating point values. What format would you ideally like?

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 2 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #12

P.S. For the images - I haven't looked at those, but the elevation data has PDS headers, I wonder if the images do too. Maybe IMG2PNG could be adapted? I'd volunteer, but I don't do Windows, or scripting languages. (Actually I think IMG2PNG is an .exe, IIRC.)

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Nov 3 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 4489

finally i can get ride of my "artists concept " topo map . that will be wroth while .

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 3 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #14

I'm going to have to go out to dinner pretty soon, but I should be able to produce a 5760x2880 bump map PNG, normal map PNG, and binary stream of floats within the next 24 hours, assuming the data is good. Unless somebody else can do it faster.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 3 2009, 01:22 AM
Post #15

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (mhoward @ Nov 2 2009, 11:57 PM) *
P.S. For the images - I haven't looked at those, but the elevation data has PDS headers, I wonder if the images do too. Maybe IMG2PNG could be adapted? I'd volunteer, but I don't do Windows, or scripting languages. (Actually I think IMG2PNG is an .exe, IIRC.)

If these files have PDS headers followed by floating point data IMG2PNG might already be able to read them. If not, modifying it to do so is trivial for me - the most complex step is probably getting the data so I can test it ;-). Can't do it until about 20 hours from now though.

I have been waiting more than 10 years (!) for a nice, global DEM of the Moon so this is something that really interests me.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:48 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.