Reply to this topicStart new topic
High altitude balloon payload, from Sable-3 discussion
nprev
post Oct 20 2007, 03:16 AM
Post #136

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

It should. Most standard GPS devices output data in the NMEA 0183 format, and the $GPGAA string includes altitude data, IIRC. However, this isn't referenced to terrain or local elevation but rather to the WGS84 spheroid model of the Earth, so uncertainty of a few meters is a given (although I've also seen GPSs freak out & give whacko elevation data pretty often during flight...)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 20 2007, 06:30 AM
Post #137

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 19 2007, 07:16 PM) *
However, this isn't referenced to terrain or local elevation but rather to the WGS84 spheroid model of the Earth, so uncertainty of a few meters is a given

Well the way to calibrate for that is to take a "zero" reading at ground level prior to launch.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 20 2007, 07:49 AM
Post #138

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 20 2007, 02:56 AM) *
Does the data from the GPS device include ALTITUDE?

Pay attention Dan smile.gif

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=101948

Doug

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 20 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #139

Merciless Robot

It's too bad that there's not a compact differential GPS (DGPS) receiver available for greater precision...those things can give you 10cm X-Y positional accuracy wrt the surface, plus largely obviate the altitude freak-outs I mentioned earlier. In the UK, correction signals are transmitted in the 300 KHz band, though, so would have to add a fairly hefty antenna to get any degree of reliable performance. DGPS is mostly intended for maritime use, so most of the available (and less expensive) equipment is too heavy for this particular application.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
RJG
post Oct 20 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #140

Group: Members
Member No.: 492

I have no specific knowledge of lightweight DGPS kit but the antenna for 300kHz shouldn't be a problem. For transmission at that frequency I'd agree than you'd need something pretty substantial but for reception an active antenna (such as http://www.radiopassioni.it/pdf/pa0rdt-Mini-Whip.PDF ) would work well with a length of <100mm and pretty low weight.

Watching this thread with great interest. Brilliant stuff!
Rob

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 20 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #141

Merciless Robot

Ah! Did not consider active antennas, just passive. Haven't messed with DGPS since 1998, when I connected a Magnavox MX50 DGPS receiver to one of the automatic direction finder antennas of a C-141 (passive all the way, of course.) Seems the state of the art has improved a bit over nearly ten years (duh...)

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 20 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #142

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 19 2007, 11:49 PM) *
Pay attention Dan smile.gif

I was distracted in my zeal to include some kind of barometer. But I will raise the issue anyway. If the UMSF balloon goes anywhere near as high as the Sable-3 project we are emulating, then we will approach Martian atmospheric conditions, and that alone would be a cool fact to report on.

And that raises another issue. Have we considered the effect of 10 millibars of pressure on each of the components? My first thought is the C-cells and the potential to burst if they are tightly sealed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 20 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #143

Founder

If I can log temp, pres and GPS with a second Picaxe unit....I will. I want to do those temp/pres profiles smile.gif A small cheap pressure transducer is not something I've found yet though.

Doug

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 20 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #144

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 20 2007, 07:39 AM) *
A small cheap pressure transducer is not something I've found yet though.

Look for the Motorola MPX100AP.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 21 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #145

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 20 2007, 03:45 PM) *
Look for the Motorola MPX100AP.

I would be willing to provide this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Oct 23 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #146

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Doug,
For a test flight, have you considered a kite? Given a large enough kite, a couple of KG of lift should be a cinch. Also, do you have a list of which components you are using? I would like to get a couple of those cameras for my own experimentation... smile.gif

In the spirit, we just purchased an Estes Astro-Cam digital camera rocket. Only have had two flights, one a near-tradgedy (flight tube damaged but serviceable) and the other a perfect, if slightly delayed, launch. Videos are at:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=45...44458&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=41...66003&hl=en

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 23 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #147

Founder

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=28103 is the camera - although to be honest, I may go with something a bit better or the actual flights - and use one of those for the monitoring camera smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
hendric
post Oct 25 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #148

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Closest thing I could find is the 3.1 MP version of the catcam camera, a VistaQuest:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5614773

I might give it shot as a kite-cam for fun. During my copious free time, of course!

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 25 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #149

Founder

The 1.3 MP VistaQuest is what the GMC is.

Doug

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Oct 27 2007, 08:33 AM
Post #150

Member No.: 221

High ALtitude Object - HALO

30k balloon. This guy has a detiailed write up of how he did it with some awsome videos and photos of the results.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.