8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno perijove 7: GRS images, July 11, 2017
Gerald
post Jul 19 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

This article of John Rogers (BAA) contains an animated GIF derived from the four close-up PJ07 GRS images. The images of the GIF are reprojected from the raws to the same position on the spacecraft trajectory, and manually corrected for most of the residual geometrical inaccuracies.
It shows a global acyclonic rotation of the GRS. Extracting residual parallax for 3D images in an unambiguous way is pretty hard, and I'm unaware of any successful attempt. Using these images as L/R images of an anaglyph would visualize true motion of features between images as a 3D impression. Being aware of this effect could help to identify subtle differential motion within the GRS.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jul 30 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 7837

Here is my take on the GRS sequence using Gerald's work...

Upscaled, processed & cropped.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Jul 30 2017, 05:09 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 4824

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jul 19 2017, 02:02 PM) *
This article of John Rogers (BAA) contains an animated GIF

Am I seing two moons (images 2 and 3) crossing from left to right?

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 30 2017, 10:51 PM
Post #94

That's most likely energetic particle hits. Most repetitive camera artifacts are filtered out. Lighnings are possible, but unlikely. Moons would probably look differently, less sharp, and probably moving diagonally due to the rapidly changing perspective. They would probably be displaced between camera color filters, showing up as three dots in a row in different colors within one image. Note, that we are rather close to Jupiter during the flyby, just a fraction of the Roche limit. Moons that close to Jupiter would be very unusual, however not entirely impossible.

+Quote Post
nogal
post Jul 31 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #95

Many thanks for your information-packed reply, Gerald.
I went searching for the Roche limit and the Wikipedia article added a lot to what I remembered. If I understood correctly, the limit for a rigid body is about 900km (PJ7 was at 3500km). Anyway WIBN if those were moons ar a broken comet/asteroid taking a final plunge...
Cheers
Fernando

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 31 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #96

The Roche limit for a rigid spherical body is about 1.26 times the radius of the primary body, multiplied by a factor derived from the density quotient. With Jupiter's radius of about 70,000 km, we get a Roche limit of 70,000 km x 0.26 = 18,000 km altitude. This applies to rigid bodies of a density of about 1.3 g/cm³ like Jupiter's mean density. An iron asteroid could probably plunge into Jupiter's atmosphere without prior break-up due to its high density compared to Jupiter.
The images of the GRS have been taken from altitudes between 6200 km (#59), and 16,500 km (#62).
Small bodies of sufficient shear and tensile strength may survive well within their formal Roche limit, too.
Impacts of small bodies into Jupiter's atmosphere have been observed. Hence unlikely, but not ruled out to observe such an event.
The latest such observed impacts have been observed in March 2016, and in May 2017.

+Quote Post
nogal
post Jul 31 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #97

Thanks again Gerald.
The article was the one you point out but I misunderstood the tables... Oh well, back to the homework ohmy.gif sad.gif

+Quote Post
Sean
post Aug 1 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 7837

I had another stab at Gerald's PJ07_062...

Here are some 4k images cropped from the portrait...

Upscaled, processed & extended

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 2 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #99

Here the result of some recreation with PJ07, #053:

Attached Image

It shows Jupiters NN-LRS-1, NN for north-north, LRS for "Little Red Spot". This version is reprojected to about one and a half minutes after the original image time, in order to bring the storm closer to nadir. Then, I've enhanced the image with a sequence of several methods, first an automated heuristics which adjusts for some of the illumination and light scattering effects followed by gamma stretch to the 4th power of radiometric values, then some arbitrary white-balancing, non-linear brightness-stretch, some saturation enhancement, sharpening, point-noise filtering, masking to a disc.

+Quote Post
Johann Guillon
post Aug 26 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 8200

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 2 2017, 11:52 PM) *
Here the result of some recreation with PJ07, #053:

Attached Image

It shows Jupiters NN-LRS-1, NN for north-north, LRS for "Little Red Spot". This version is reprojected to about one and a half minutes after the original image time, in order to bring the storm closer to nadir. Then, I've enhanced the image with a sequence of several methods, first an automated heuristics which adjusts for some of the illumination and light scattering effects followed by gamma stretch to the 4th power of radiometric values, then some arbitrary white-balancing, non-linear brightness-stretch, some saturation enhancement, sharpening, point-noise filtering, masking to a disc.

Hi Sir, your work on raw images is trully awesome, without you we have nothing.

You did this for perijove 6 : http://junocam.pictures/gerald/uploads/20170607/
Did you make the same for perijove 7 ?

I need this to watch something at the terminator and your images has more range than ones processed by others, so it's easier.

On my twitter profile you can see some other examples : https://twitter.com/JohannGuillon

Thank you for your work, really.

Johann
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 26 2017, 07:00 PM
Post #101

Thus far, I've rendered draft thumbnails only for the approach sequence. They aren't quite perfect regarding RGB alignment, since I didn't run a specific calibration.
Most interesting regarding the haze structures is probably #51. Here an enhanced crop:

Attached Image

I'll see, whether I'll be able to render the departure sequence in a similar draft mode. In that case, I'll add another post in a few hours,

+Quote Post
Johann Guillon
post Aug 26 2017, 10:51 PM
Post #102

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 26 2017, 08:00 PM) *
Thus far, I've rendered draft thumbnails only for the approach sequence. They aren't quite perfect regarding RGB alignment, since I didn't run a specific calibration.
Most interesting regarding the haze structures is probably #51. Here an enhanced crop:

Attached Image

I'll see, whether I'll be able to render the departure sequence in a similar draft mode. In that case, I'll add another post in a few hours,

So it's haze ! What a planet !

Thank you Gerald !

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 27 2017, 03:38 AM
Post #103

Yes, I think it's usually called haze, e.g. in this paper.
Here the PJ07 outbound drafts.

+Quote Post
Johann Guillon
post Aug 29 2017, 11:52 PM
Post #104

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 27 2017, 04:38 AM) *
Yes, I think it's usually called haze, e.g. in this paper.
Here the PJ07 outbound drafts.

Again thank you for your work Gerald.

Have a great day

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 2 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #105

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Below are five images processed from PJ07_53. There are three approximately true color/contrast images followed by two images where the contrast, colors and sharpness have been enhanced. There is one 'exception' though. In the first image (a true color/contrast image), the brightness near the terminator has been increased a bit to show various dimly lit features more clearly.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

A subset of the metadata:

IMAGE_TIME = 2017-07-11T01:42:08.663
MISSION_PHASE_NAME = PERIJOVE 7
PRODUCT_ID = JNCE_2017192_07C00053_V01
SPACECRAFT_ALTITUDE = 11444.6 km
SPACECRAFT_NAME = JUNO
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LATITUDE = 44.5048
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LONGITUDE = 40.2871
TITLE = POI: Juno eye
Resolution at nadir: ~7.7 km/pixel

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:47 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.