Odyssey mission status
djellison
post Mar 12 2015, 05:07 AM
Post #46

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Mar 11 2015, 10:03 PM) *
Reaction wheels, propellant depletion, electronics, etc?

Yes - any and all of those could cause its demise. The only certainty is that it will run out of prop eventually, and if another reaction wheel goes, that time frame is accelerated rapidly.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 12 2015, 06:00 AM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

MGS was lost to operator error. Hopefully that lesson's been learned, but it's always a possibility.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Doug M.
post Apr 5 2016, 07:19 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 6511

And this week marks the 15th anniversary of the launch of Mars Odyssey (7 April 2001). Odyssey arrived at Mars orbit on 24 October 2001 and began science operations in February 2002.

On one hand, that's pretty amazing. On the other hand, in terms of currently active spacecraft operating beyond Earth's orbit, I think Odyssey just barely makes the top five (after Cassini, SOHO, and of course the Voyagers).

Anyway, congratulations to the Odyssey team.

Doug M.

+Quote Post
propguy
post Apr 7 2016, 12:04 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 6507

biggrin.gif ODY is still my favorite program to have worked. It was a wonderful recovery from the failed MSP98 missions and also the only time (of the 13 missions I have worked on that have gone beyond Earth orbit) that I was able to see something I worked on launch. It was a wonderfully clear day and the launch was spectacular. There will be a gathering tomorrow to remember that day. Hard to believe it has been 15 years, how fast time flies.

+Quote Post
Doug M.
post Jul 19 2016, 01:57 PM
Post #50

Odyssey's longevity is really inspiring. That said, there are now five orbiters and two rovers at Mars -- and of that fleet, three of the orbiters and one of the rovers have now been there for a decade or longer!

Doug M.

+Quote Post
Doug M.
post Aug 2 2016, 01:25 PM
Post #51

Just ran across an interesting recent paper on Martian surface sulfates, which appears to be based largely on GRS data from Odyssey:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/201...u-ddi072516.php

Doug M.

+Quote Post
Doug M.
post Dec 5 2016, 07:05 AM
Post #52

ODY's 15th anniversary of entering Mars orbit passed unnoticed last month. Next milestone: in February 2017, the 15th anniversary of the beginning of its science mission.

Doug M.

+Quote Post
Doug M.
post Nov 25 2018, 02:14 PM
Post #53

QUOTE (Doug M. @ Dec 5 2016, 08:05 AM) *
ODY's 15th anniversary of entering Mars orbit passed unnoticed last month. Next milestone: in February 2017, the 15th anniversary of the beginning of its science mission.

17 years since arrival at Mars.

What space probes are still active that are older than MODY? The two Voyagers, of course. In Earth orbit, or at an Earth Lagrange point, we have Hubble (1990), Geotail (1992), Wind (1994), SOHO (1995), ACE (1997), Chandra (1999), Landsat 7 (1999), Terra (1999), XMM-Newton (1999) and Cluster II (2000). However, I'm pretty sure that MODY is now the third oldest active human spacecraft outside Earth orbit.

Doug M.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Nov 25 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #54

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

There have been so many missions who depended on ODY for their relay! We often give it for granted but the way this mission has been managed even in spite of the ever decreasing budget is quite remarkable.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Nov 25 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #55

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Nov 25 2018, 09:03 PM) *
There have been so many missions who depended on ODY for their relay! We often give it for granted but the way this mission has been managed even in spite of the ever decreasing budget is quite remarkable.

Paolo

Are you talking ODY's budget, cause I thought the over all NASA's budget had increased this year.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/casey-dreie...18-omnibus.html

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Nov 26 2018, 12:03 AM
Post #56

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

Yes, I meant ODY budget.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Doug M.
post Oct 23 2019, 10:10 AM
Post #57

This week marks the 18th anniversary of MODY's insertion into Mars orbit.

MODY is the third longest-lived active spacecraft beyond Earth orbit, after the two Voyagers. It's lost an instrument and a flywheel, but is still functional and still doing science.

Doug M.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Oct 23 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 196

i saw this atrophied thread finally get an update and clicked in expecting the worst... but instead its yet another seemingly unbeatable milestone (unbeatable? just wait!) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Doug M.
post Dec 26 2021, 05:49 PM
Post #59

It's 20 years, two months and two days since MODY arrived in Mars orbit. The 20th anniversary of science operations will come in February of 2022.

MODY had a near death experience last year, when the Trump Administration's proposed budget for NASA eliminated it, leaving only a token sum for decommissioning. But the mission survived, and looks good to continue into its third decade. In addition to the ongoing science mission, MODY is also serving as a relay for both of NASA's Mars rovers.

It's incredibly impressive how robust this mission has been.

Doug M.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Dec 26 2021, 08:47 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 351

The recent NASA Planetary Science Advisory Committee had an update on the rovers (see attached screenshots). All are doing well and the most of the fleet has the resources to remain functional through at least this decade.

ODY has about 10 years fuel remaining. MRO 19 years (likely something else will fail before that?). No firm data for MAVEN, but I believe that the bus is largely a copy of MRO, so I presume it carried substantial fuel reserves to Mars. Slide says fuel usage planned to allow operations through 2030.

Mars Express, though, has extremely low fuel reserves.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.