IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Amount of fuel onboard, Potential life expectancy?
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 31 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #16

Guests

Great that made my sol mars.gif

Remember Mars Global Surveyor worked for 10 years ( 7th Nov 1996 - 2nd Nov 2006 ) so fingers crossed that Mars Odyssey will go to 2010 cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 25 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #17

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Oct 31 2008, 04:02 PM) *
Great that made my sol mars.gif

Remember Mars Global Surveyor worked for 10 years ( 7th Nov 1996 - 2nd Nov 2006 ) so fingers crossed that Mars Odyssey will go to 2010 cool.gif

Not to mention that MGS was killed by a software error - it could still be chugging along.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 25 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #18

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Yeah...but then again, similar sorts of things could happen to any spacecraft, anytime. Gonna repeat the mantra again: 'redundancy, redundancy, redundancy...'

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 26 2008, 05:01 AM
Post #19

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

My point is that it didn't have anything to do with age.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Dec 26 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #20

Group: Members
Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Dec 26 2008, 12:01 AM) *
My point is that it didn't have anything to do with age.

Of the hardware, no. But a project is more than that. There is continuing pressure
to cut costs of an ongoing mission to open up a funding wedge to buy the next big
mission. So you pay for fewer man-hours, have fewer pairs of eyes double-checking things,
maybe hire cheaper/less experienced people (indeed, even if you can pay for old hands
to stay on, some talented/ambitious engineers may see starting on a new project as better
for their careers than staying on an 8-year old project that could croak at any time.) So I'd
venture there is a 'project aging' effect independent of the space hardware segment.

It would be interesting to see statistics on commanding errors as a function of mission age.
I am sure the absolute rate may fall, since things become routine, but I wonder what the
errors-per-new-thing-tried is...

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 26 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #21

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Dec 26 2008, 04:33 PM) *
So I'd
venture there is a 'project aging' effect independent of the space hardware segment.

MGS was a particularly bad case of this, iirc. VERY old avionics compared to Mars Odyssey - (the very very inaccurate and brief version is....) and the guy who'd happily uplinked to MGS for years, retired, and his replacement didn't know the avionics inside out - hence the wrongly uplinked parameter that only got picked up during the solar array motor induced safing event.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 26 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #22

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Hmm. There are a lot of ways to think about this. Systems engineering models can't catch every critical dependency, of course, but it sure seems like you could define a point in a system's life-cycle where the total entropy (using the term very loosely) makes a fatal event almost inevitable. Heck, if you plotted entropy vs. time I bet it's some sort of exponential function that takes off right near the end of the curve.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
tty
post Dec 27 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 273

In my experience the critical resource in keeping old systems running is almost always people. It takes a long time to understand a complex system really well. You just try to go in to your boss and say "I'm retiring in 5 years, it's time to hire someone to take over after me". This is especially true if the system you're running is scheduled to be phased out in, say, 4 years. I know a system that has been a year or two away from phase-out for 15 years now, while the planned replacements have repeatedly failed spectacularily and expensively.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Dec 16 2010, 06:53 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 1700

"The Odyssey mission is in excellent health, with none of its avionics redundancy yet exercised. With 37 kg of fuel remaining and fuel use at a level of less than 1 kg/year, it is possible that Odyssey could continue to provide relay services well into the next decade."

QUOTE (TheChemist @ Jul 1 2008, 01:36 AM) *
Since the article was published in 2006, two years of fuel should be substracted for current estimations.

Looking forward to many more years of Odyssey! smile.gif

+Quote Post
kenny
post Sep 17 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 759

Hard to know quite where to put this post, but "fuel" seems appropriate somehow.

The Houston Brewing Company in Houston, Renfrewshire, Scotland (the original place of that name), is producing monthly space-themed beers, and the September one is a reddish ale called Mars Odyssey. I had some last night - rather pleasant.

Mars Odyssey beer

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:29 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.