50 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Distant vistas, Endeavour, Iazu, and beyond
Bill
post May 16 2010, 08:20 AM
Post #391

Group: Members
Member No.: 4798

Thanks nprev but i spoke about the dark spot in front of Endeavour and not about the crater on Iazu.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post May 16 2010, 09:18 AM
Post #392

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

I think it's a cobble of some kind but too small to resolve it in the picture.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 16 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #393

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (ngunn @ May 15 2010, 06:59 PM) *
I look forward to the official version of course, ...

Hmmm. I'm not so sure there will be an "official version". I might be wrong... usually am... used to that... and they must have taken those images for a reason... but I reckon the MER guys are - understandably - too busy steering Oppy and planning the journey to do much work on this. Apart from on rare occasions, like the recent "Moment In Time" image, images are taken for practical reasons. But you never know, maybe someone there will give it a go. I'd love to see what they do with it too... but personally I think the work being done here by people like Astro0, FredK, Ant and others is more than good enough to keep me happy. In fact, I greatly preferred the Forum's versions of the "faraway hills" view to the official one.

I think the "pretty picture" making is up to us, guys... and that's okay by me. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 16 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #394

Member No.: 152

We've seen other super-res sequences released publicly, like those of Victoria's cliffs. I can't imagine they wouldn't compile it themselves, since they sequenced it, and as soon as they see what they've got, they've got to want to release it. I do look forward to their version, since it'll be properly super-res, unlike my quick and dirty attempt.

Bill and Tesheiner, that black spot is close to the horizon, so it's really far away, so it could be quite large. At first I thought this super-res was just to image the rim, but now I'm wondering whether they might be interested in imaging the route ahead, looking for potential meteorites/science stops on the way. Once the view's opened up, as it seems to be doing now, we should get a good view of the route ahead.

+Quote Post
jekbradbury
post May 16 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #395

Member No.: 4172

Here's Fredk's new real horizon view in context in Astro0's amazing artificial one, with the color taken from Astro's:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
antoniseb
post May 16 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #396

Member No.: 451

Wow! The hi-resolution parts of the rim are amazing, especially toward the right edge of the above. I'm curious about the fairly bright sloping lines there. Has the MRO HiRes given us any details of that area yet?

+Quote Post
briv1016
post May 17 2010, 03:59 AM
Post #397

Member No.: 3982

Exploratorium is rebooting the server or something. BIG update tonight.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post May 17 2010, 05:03 AM
Post #398

Member No.: 116

It's not as big as it appears. It contains a lot of older images that were downlinked earlier. I found 37 new images in the batch. We've seen this sort of thing happen before at Exploratorium.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
briv1016
post May 17 2010, 06:50 AM
Post #399

Member No.: 3982

Hence the reboot. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Astro0
post May 17 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #400

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

A false colour interpretation of those distant hills. wink.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 20 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #401

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here's the current view from that pancam sequence, with about 8x vertical stretch - or astoogmatism.

Some details in the distant plains are becoming visible.

Phil

Attached Image

(PS - oops, put it in the wrong thread!) - Fixed that for you - Mod

PPS - hint to camera guys - a full 360 horizon pancam strip would be nice right about now!

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 20 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #402

Member No.: 16

It's taken me a while to get this finished and convince myself that it has a possibility of being right. wink.gif

Anyway, here is may attempt to match the features in Fredk's stacked image with a reprojected CTX image:

Attached Image

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
ngunn
post May 20 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #403

Member No.: 542

Another tour-de-force James! I think you're spot on. I've been comparing Nirgal's 3D renderings with the latest view and your identifications fit with my tentative impressions.

BTW have you had a go at those peaks beyond (to the right of) Iazu yet? That seems to be the only part of the horizon for which you haven't provided a definitive key.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post May 21 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #404

Member No.: 105

And the ground-hugging haze (particulate, actually) layer is becoming more distinct now.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post May 21 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #405

Member No.: 542

This is about the dark feature on the plains in front of Iazu that shows up very clearly on Phil's horizon stretch. That image also shows that the surface the feature is sitting on curves downward to the right into an invisible depression. I have found features on the CTX that may correspond and will try to post an image somehow shortly.

+Quote Post

50 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:24 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.