2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
E-ELT, European Extremely Large Telescope
monitorlizard
post Dec 15 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 381

I read an article on OWL two or three years ago that said it would need a supercomputer larger than anything that had ever been built just to run the atmospheric compensation system for all the mirror segments! Of course, back then we only had puny supercomputers of five or ten teraflops.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
helvick
post Dec 15 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #17

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Optical Interferometry may be hard but there seems to be plenty of activity:
Optical Long Baseline Interferometry News (NASA)

Which throws up some nice links to the Navy Prototype Optical Interferometer and the Chara Array. The NPOI has produced some very cool stuff including this movie of the binary Mizar.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 16 2006, 07:53 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 150

...and, one day, we will make arrays of thousands huge space telescopes interferometrically linked, floating inside the extremely dark and big shadow of Jupiter or Saturn! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
karolp
post Dec 18 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 744

I talked on the phone with a friend of mine today and we were wondering what imaging capabilities this monster might have regarding the Solar System. He told me that being 4 times larger than Keck it would have 16 times better resolution. I was wondering whether it could actually image any objects in the Oort Cloud. What magnitude could it go to? 30? 40?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Dec 18 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (karolp @ Dec 18 2006, 01:39 PM) *
I talked on the phone with a friend of mine today and we were wondering what imaging capabilities this monster might have regarding the Solar System. He told me that being 4 times larger than Keck it would have 16 times better resolution. I was wondering whether it could actually image any objects in the Oort Cloud. What magnitude could it go to? 30? 40?

That would be 16 times the light gathering or about 3 magnitudes. Theoretical angular resolution, though, would only be 4 times better. In practice ground-based telescopes never reach their theoretical resolution anyhow, it's limited by the cleverness of the adaptive optics and I'm not sure how the difficulties of adaptive optics increase with size.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:03 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.