post Jul 27 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #61

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Here's the saddle:

Attached Image

Phil

PS one of the most amazing views in the solar system would be had from the righthand hill here, looking across the 10 km wide saddle to the other hill, with Mars in the background surrounding that hill like a halo.

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jul 27 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #62

Guests

I'm getting closer but not quite there yet. Maybe I should change my avatar to Deimos biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 31 2006, 01:24 PM
Post #63

Here's another image of Phobos from the PSA. It's not so hard to use once you get into it. I was misled slightly by the image size in the label, as I had to open this as a raw image in Photoshop, but once you remember to add the line prefix pixels to the width of the image it's OK.

Phil

Attached Image

If you compare this with the last one, it's a mirror image. This is the ND2 image and it's reversed. The previous Phobos post was SR2, and it's right-reading.

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Aug 14 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #64

Guests

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Jul 27 2006, 06:43 AM) *
I'm getting closer but not quite there yet. Maybe I should change my avatar to Deimos biggrin.gif

I was going to use the latest Deimos image but I really prefer Phobos. Luckily, ugordan made a nice PNG image for me based on my favorite MOC image of Phobos. Hopefully, this should alleviate the bandwidth issues some were having loading my previous Phobos avatar, which was an offsite image at MSSS.

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Aug 15 2006, 01:33 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 198

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 27 2006, 03:22 PM) *
Here's the saddle:

Attached Image

Phil

Uh, oh. I hate to point it out but I can see a face in that image! Not so much on the thumbnail version as on the fullsize one. It kind of pops out there. (It's on the righthand side looking toward the right: two eyes--one round, the other sort of orientalish--a flat nose, and the lefthand cheek, a kind of sneer or grimace for a mouth.)

Maybe you shouldn't have shown us that pic! Now we'll be hearing about The Face on Deimos and how NASA tried to hide it from us. smile.gif

======
Stephen

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Aug 15 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #66

Guests

QUOTE (Stephen @ Aug 14 2006, 03:33 PM) *
Uh, oh. I hate to point it out but I can see a face in that image!

I'll bet ESA PAO never used this one on the kooks: "Pardon moi. One of our scientists accidentally included one of his wife's ultrasound images." tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 15 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 542

There are probably faces all over it. The first one I noticed is facing to the left and down. Big white lips at bottom of image, teardrop-shaped eye above, nose in profile flush with upper lip. In fact the whole thing seems to be a giant head sculpture obviously made by the Roswell people (who also influenced the Olmecs) . . .

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 30 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #68

Check out this abstract from the new EGU meeting: Greg Michaels on a new HRSC data viewer. Very promising. Also news of the release of HRSC-derived topography data.

Phil

http://www.cosis.net/abstracts/EGU2007/075...88baf6c8092ff18

(or go to:

http://www.cosis.net/members/meetings/sess...88baf6c8092ff18

and find his abstract in the middle of the page, or failing that go to:

http://www.cosis.net/members/meetings/prog...88baf6c8092ff18

and find the mars session in the middle of that page.

Hey, come on people, give us some simple URLs! All that search stuff is unnecessary or should be hidden.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
MarkL
post Jan 30 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 981

This is great to see Phil. I think NASA and the various PI's (notably MSSS, THEMIS, the MER/Athena teams and the HiRISE team, Cassini to a lesser extent) have really set a high standard for outreach and no doubt the ESA is feeling some heat for keeping its data so close. But that is not to in any way discourage them from this generous initiative.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.