Reply to this topicStart new topic
Google Lunar X Prize
nprev
post May 11 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #76

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

If you're referring to this post, then, yeah, I'm pretty much with you.

I would actually love to see the Apollo sites again to see what's become of them after 30+ years of exposure to lunar conditions, but seems like there's so much new ground to be covered that it would be a waste for this initiative.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 12 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #77

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Yeah, but... I have this image of Buzz Aldrin, in his pajamas, a la Bedford at the end of the film "The First Men in the Moon," exclaiming, "That.. that's where we were!"

rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 12 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #78

Merciless Robot

Okay, NOW I have to go get my brain flashburned to purge the mental image...thanks, oDoug!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 12 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 15

You can always add to that "Poor Neil -- he did have such an awful cold..."

smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 12 2008, 01:59 AM
Post #80

Merciless Robot

<removes creaking 386 space-certified processor from cranium, reluctantly dips it in a concentrated HCL bath....>

Okay. Better now. What just happened?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mongo
post May 13 2008, 01:35 AM
Post #81

Member No.: 82

Here is photographic evidence that the Apollo 11 landing site is still intact in the year 3000:

(the ascent module was returned by the Historical Sticklers Society):

Unfortunately, Neil Armstrong's historic footprints were obliterated by some idiot delivery boy:

Fortunately, a disreputable robot, that might have stolen the entire site, was otherwise occupied:

Bill

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 13 2008, 01:52 AM
Post #82

Merciless Robot

Hey...nobody saw me, you can't prove anything, that ain't my kid, I was drunk, and I want a lawyer!!! tongue.gif

I am, however, gratified to know that apparently via an extraordinarily fortunate quantum fluctuation (undoubtedly induced by the Historical Stickler's Society, whose powers are shrouded in the deepest secrecy) the ascent stage of Eagle did not crash into the lunar surface after Armstrong and Aldrin transferred back to Columbia and departed for Earth, but instead was placed safely back upon the descent stage. That's some good quantum fluxin' there, yes, sir...

(Really no kidding like the phrase "disreputable robot", BTW, Mongo... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif...hilarious!!! )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 15 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #83

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Cease this friviolity at once!

And now for something completely different. The new issue of Smithsonian magazine has an article on this topic. One point to reassure some people - Astrobotic talks about viewing from a distance with a telephoto lens, not driving right up to the LM.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 18 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #84

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

A terrifying glimpse into the future...?

Salvage 1

Stop that nostalgic, wistful sighing at once...! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 18 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #85

Merciless Robot

laugh.gif ...now there's a blast from the past! Thanks, Stu!!!

Yeah, there was an ABC Movie of the Week called Salvage where Andy Griffith built a rocket & pillaged the Apollo sites; later it became a short-lived series. Kind of wonder if it may have influenced some of the GLXP participants, actually.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 23 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #86

Four new GLXP teams announced, and one new landing site at Apollo 12. I've updated my landing map.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post May 23 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 23 2008, 12:41 PM) *
Four new GLXP teams announced, and one new landing site at Apollo 12.

Maybe we'll finally get colour film from the Ocean of Storms...

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post May 23 2008, 05:33 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (SFJCody @ May 23 2008, 04:54 PM) *
Maybe we'll finally get colour film from the Ocean of Storms...

My recollection is that all the color photography from the surface on Apollo 12 was brought back, and that the color film magazine left behind contained 'only' earthrise and orbital shots.

Don

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 25 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #89

... and then there were 13. One GLXP team has dropped out citing philosophical differences and some concerns about how XPF treated them at the recent team summit, as well as funding issues. I would expect a bit of a shakedown in the next little while, as teams find out how hard it is to obtain funding.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astroblogger
post Jun 18 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 4214

QUOTE (Stu @ May 4 2008, 09:38 AM) *
On the Google Lunar X-Prize website, a YouTube video from one of the teams ("Astrobotic") refers to their rover "seeing, at some point, the US flag, or the remains of it... the footprints of the astronauts and, up close, the plaque..." Now, how they're going to see those things - especially "up close" - without disturbing the site is beyond me. blink.gif

Glad to see someone watches our videos - I'm tasked with making most of those.

As Phil mentioned, we plan to use a Telephoto Lens. Our closest approach would be at 15m. From that distance, using a 350-400mm Focal Length Lens on one of our 720p cameras atop our mast, we've shown that we can image something in focus on the LM's legs at about 10-20cm across. If you look at the image of Apollo 11 below, that means that our ideal mission situation would be approaching from the North East above Armstrong's Path. If we think we can navigate the crater to the South-West of the LM, we may approach from there as well.

As our launch approaches, we'll have an open ear to the forums of discussion about what safety precautions should be taken. One of Astrobotic's founders, David Gump made comments about these issues back in 2000. Keep in mind that we are all big space enthusiasts as well, and the strict precautions we will have with the perception capabilities, dead-reckoning, and control of our robots will probably be more advanced than most would expect.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 01:02 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.