17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stardust-NExT, Revisiting Tempel 1
ngunn
post Jan 27 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

Hey Doug - good to see factual contributions on many threads all in a bit of a rush. Did they give you a day off?

Seriously, glad you're still on the case.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 28 2011, 02:12 AM
Post #32

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Probably my busiest day on lab yet smile.gif I find myself tweeting, facebooking and foruming the most, when I'm busiest - it's counterintuitive, but that's how it goes smile.gif

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 3 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 530

http://stardustnext.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/m...tatus11_q1.html

Updated with TCM information.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 3 2011, 01:46 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 5221

They said they were running low even before the maneuver, and another 300 grams spent, any estimates on how much is left?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 3 2011, 02:31 AM
Post #35

Founder

The estimates of how much they had / needed included TCM's such as this.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 3 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 5221

I realize that. I should've made that more clear in my post but I was just curious about how much will be left after the flyby; purely academic of course.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 4 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 530

February 3, 2011
The spacecraft is healthy and continues to operate as expected. A trajectory correction maneuver, TCM 31, was executed at 21:00 UTC on Monday, January 31. This 2.6 m/s maneuver adjusted the spacecraft trajectory for the desired flyby point of comet Tempel 1 on February 14. This was the first maneuver based on ground and optical navigation data. The spacecraft continues to acquire daily optical navigation image sets. The next planned maneuver will be executed on Monday, February 7, at 23:00 UTC. This maneuver will be based on a data cut-off on February 2. The spacecraft will turn to the final comet approach orientation, with the +x side of the spacecraft facing the comet direction. Right after the TCM on February 7, the spacecraft will begin imaging the comet every 2 hours as it continues its approach for the flyby. These images will provide optical navigation data as well as frequent comet monitoring, and will be used to design the final approach maneuver that will be executed on February 12, two days before the flyby.

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Feb 10 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 156

NASA Hosting Events for Valentine's Night Comet Encounter - details of media stuff for everyone's favorite Valentine's Day activity (or post-, depending on your time zone). Interestingly, there's no mention of spotting the Deep Impact crater; I'd guess it's considered unlikely enough that they don't want to get everyone's hopes up. Probably of most interest is that the first 5 images are expected to show up between midnight and 1:30 A.M. Pacific Time.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Feb 10 2011, 12:11 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 4270

The comet's rotation isn't known well enough to know if said crater will be visible to the spacecraft during flyby.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 10 2011, 04:07 AM
Post #40

Founder

They have made a simulated light curve based on DI data, and have an actual light curve based on Hubble imagery. From that - there is a correlation, but also there's another correlation at 180 deg from that, just not quite as strong.

Thus - they targetted to get the nucleus on approach ( http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/May07/stardust-NExT.jpg ) but it's not certain that they'll see it. It's not quite 50/50 - probably slightly better odds than that.

Of course, the comet may have changed so much over the past 5 years that we can't even tell if we're looking at the same side or not smile.gif

A Stardust NExT 'Live' module will be on Eyes on the Solar System before Monday night ( http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eyes ) including a nucleus shape file with a map showing the expected crater, and the un-seen terrain. Yours truly will be demoing it during the first of the NASA TV broadcasts from JPL on the night of the flyby ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 10 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #41

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Something to think about - this is a panel from my LPSC poster. Maps of Tempel 1 and Wild 2.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 11 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #42

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Stardust NExT 'Live' module is up and running on Eyes on the Solar System.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Feb 11 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 150

Great maps, Phil... for sure you will soon update left one!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 14 2011, 05:17 AM
Post #44

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

closer.......

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 14 2011, 06:03 AM
Post #45

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Don't forget to login to the Eyes on the Solar System for Stardust-NExT LIVE!
It's a great browser based simulation using realtime, real data for the encounter.
Watch Stardust as it glides past Tempel-1. COOL! cool.gif

Attached Image

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eyes/

Psst! I think someone very close to the Forum had something to do with it. Shhhh. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.