Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stardust-NExT, Revisiting Tempel 1
djellison
post Feb 14 2011, 06:13 AM
Post #46

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I've heard that someone might be demoing it live, twice, on the first NASA TV broadcast tomorrow evening, and that there might be a frickin great big camera on top of his console staring him in the face. ph34r.gif

(and if I do say so myself, the C/A looks really awesome in EotSS - took some work by a very very clever programmer called Jon to get the camera to flip from periscope to off periscope. He's actually programmed the spacecraft to do faux-auto-nav based on the provided trajecgories for Stardust and Tempel 1. Plus - our 3D guy, haivng produced a BEAUTIFUL Stardust spacecraft, went and created a brailliant Tempel 1 complete with stuff seen by Deep Impact ( grey ) stuff not seen ( blue ) and the hoped-for crater ( red target )

If I do say so myself, it's fairly cool.

Oh and don't - whatever you do - look at the tutorials page.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 14 2011, 06:43 AM
Post #47

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Don't have any chocolate the night before. Never fails the day you are going to be on television ...

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 14 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #48

Forum Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

What time does the NASA tv coverage start ?

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 14 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 615

Of course "what time?" depends on where you live on our worldwide forum.

The schedule is always available on the NASA website...or just a Google query away.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 14 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #50

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

I know, just being lazy, also I don't actually frequent the nasa site much, and would have had to guess where the tv schedule was......

Bottom line is it's on too late for me....I need to be zzzzzzzzz at 11:30 EST. Oh well.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 14 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 530

I don't know if these updates all came in at once, or if changes in the page format fooled feedity:
http://stardustnext.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/m...tatus11_q1.html

Some excerpts.

Frday, Feb 11. E- 3days
The opnavs received today are all at 0.25 pixel quality, and have moved the solution since yesterday’s opnav solution. The science team believes that we are seeing the nucleus signal starting to come through, and these latest opnavs are the best indication of the nucleus location. The maneuver design is being finalized, and will be around a 170 km maneuver.

Sunday Feb 13, E-1 day
The overnight activities taken by the flight team went very well, and the final OpNavs taken at E-42 hours were successfully acquired and downlinked.
The navigation solutions were finished this morning, and they show that the predicted delivery is within the ‘green zone’ of the delivery chart. The nominal flyby point is at 191 km from the surface of the comet with a 11km uncertainty radius. The current Time of Closest Approach estimate is still around 04:40 UTC on February 15 (20:40 February 14 in Pasadena). Based on these discussions and updates, the following decisions were made, with full concurrence between the PM and PI:
- No TCM 34 will be executed

Monday Feb 14, E-21 Hours
The spacecraft team has just completed the final commanding prior to encounter.
This included the encounter sequence and the supporting files that were built this afternoon with the final trajectory and time of arrival estimates.
Most fault protection has now been disabled, and the Mission Phase Bit has been set to ‘Encounter’. From now on, a safe mode entry will trigger the autorecovery sequence that will attempt to recover the spacecraft autonomously and restart the encounter sequence

Crazy! But after the worry, optical navigation got them where they wanted, with a TCM to spare.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Feb 14 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Feb 14 2011, 12:03 AM) *
Don't forget to login to the Eyes on the Solar System for Stardust-NExT LIVE! http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eyes/

It's awesome. I'm going along for the ride!

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 14 2011, 09:02 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 530

So there was just a large solar flare. Did that send high-energy particles towards Stardust, and if it did, when do they get there?

+Quote Post
brellis
post Feb 14 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 1700

I have EoSS on and Norton telemetry says it's safe! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 14 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #55

Founder

You'll want to re-start EotSS later ( about 8.30pm Pacific - just when the broadcast starts ) - as we'll have adjusted for the updated C/A time.

And that flare was on the Earth side of the sun ...and using EotSS (sorry to plug it so much biggrin.gif ) you can see Stardust is on the other side of the Solar System.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 14 2011, 11:56 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 197

I used EotSS this weekend to wash my car and it did a marvelous job. It also repaired my grandfather's broken watch. I only wish I had discovered this incredible tool sooner. It really has changed my life.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Feb 15 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 4489

my only gripe it
the site is MS only

i could boot up an illegal copy of MS win7
For i have NO intention to buy it

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Feb 15 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 745

When I try to go to the site, all I get is hash (bars of colors). ???

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 15 2011, 01:31 AM
Post #59

Founder

That sometimes happens before your GFX card has finished initializing - give it time. If it doesn't clear after a few seconds, then...er.....it's still a beta.

NTV will be cutting to Eyes... live during the flyby

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 15 2011, 01:55 AM
Post #60

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

EoTSS running sweet here on Win7...nice view!

Steady as she goes, Mr. Ellison! tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:05 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.