4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rosetta PDS, Images and other products made from archived data
machi
post Dec 14 2015, 10:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4057

As we have now access to archived OSIRIS images and data from other instruments, I think that it's good idea to start up special topic for that.
Here are few results from the newly published data:
Hi-Res crosseye stereo color image of Imhotep regio at resolution 0.5 m/pix.

Anaglyph version:

Global color image at 2.2 m/pix:

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 15 2015, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 152

Very nice anaglyph.

I guess we can't say too much about the colour given that the hue is pretty much uncorrelated with the topography and looks mostly like noise:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
machi
post Dec 15 2015, 01:01 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4057

Thanks!

There is real color difference between neck area (Hapi and Seth regio) and head and body.
Neck is more bluish.
But global image is from uncalibrated data and global color differences are very subtle.
Beyond that are source images clearly affected by lossy compression and this had major impact on quality of images (in this case).
Losslessly compressed images had better quality and noise looks in them differently (as periodic stripes).
This isn't problem for unenhanced images but only objects which have distinctly different color without enhancing are water ice boulders.
Those are visible mostly on higher resolution images (there is whole icy boulder field in the crosseye/anaglyph stereo image).

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 15 2015, 06:01 AM
Post #4

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I made a set of data browsing pages, with WAC and NAC images grouped together and color-coded by filter.
http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/ros...osiris_fat.html
http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/ros...osiris_cat.html
http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/ros.../osiris_gm.html

Enjoy!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Dec 15 2015, 08:17 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7273

I assembled a 4 frame green filter mosaic of the Imhotep region taken on September 5, 2014 from an altitude of 40km. It's got a great view of the sublimation features, and the velvety texture of the smooth area near the terminator is great.

I also tried my hand at making a color image. Might be a little on the pink/magenta side, but trying to adjust those made the shadowed areas too green/cyan, so the final result's a compromise between the two extremes.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Dec 15 2015, 01:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 655

QUOTE (machi @ Dec 14 2015, 10:48 PM) *
As we have now access to archived OSIRIS images.....

Does this mean Holger Sierks is back on our Stu's Christmas card list??

wink.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Herobrine
post Dec 16 2015, 12:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 7408

I took the 30 frames from W20140910T035912757ID30F18.IMG through W20140910T042812710ID30F18.IMG and made a full HD bounce animation of the slow rotation. A tiny preview version is included below.

(Click for 1920x1080)
Attached Image

It's hugenormous (65 MB), so beware; it may take a while to fully load, but it's one of the est things I've seen from Rosetta.
The images were processed to show the area of the neck and connected regions that are in shadow. The frames were all captured 1 minute apart by the wide-angle camera, but are being played at ~15 frames per second.
The 1920x1080 dimensions were achieved by cropping the original 2048x2048 frames, not scaling, so this is still at the native/original resolution.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 16 2015, 12:09 AM
Post #8

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

That is AMAZING.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Dec 16 2015, 12:34 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 105

back on our Stu's Christmas card list??
Or, apropos, lumps of coal.

I took the 30 frames... and made a full HD bounce animation
It's just like being there. I don't have the MIPS to do that, but I've worked up smallish animations with Navcam imagery to try to intuit the locations of some of the jets we've seen over the year.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
chuck0
post Dec 16 2015, 01:59 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 7323

That jet animation looks really nice! I always love how light bounces off of one of the lobes and illuminates the dark side of the other one... you dont get something like that with convex objects like most of the stuff buzzing around out there.

Also i gave that slomoVideo tool a quick try and applied it to six consecutive NAC frames (taken with different filters... but still relatively usable since the color differences are so small)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Y5O4C6ai...iew?usp=sharing

works best if played in a loop wink.gif

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Dec 16 2015, 02:31 AM
Post #11

Herobrine, that bounce animation is gorgeous.

A three frame color mosaic of the Imhotep region. Hue in this image comes primarily from differing exposure lengths for each filtered image, I've only made minor adjustments to contrast because the shadows were a little on the green side. There might be a hint of color differences in this, as the center of the smooth region is slightly bluer than its surroundings.

+Quote Post
Herobrine
post Dec 16 2015, 02:40 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 7408

Noticed this little guy at the bottom of the animation I posted earlier.

(Click for animation)
Attached Image

This is rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise from the original.
A rock (I suppose) can be seen moving top-right to bottom-left. The star field is seen moving downward. Each frame was captured 60 seconds apart.
It's headed back toward(ish) 67P in image space (it can be hard to tell since I have it bouncing). I wonder how long it has been 'airborne' here.

+Quote Post
DoF
post Dec 16 2015, 04:12 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 7349

I can only second the opinions of the rest, that's an amazing animation Herobrine!

jccwrt: Isn't that mosaic flipped horizontally?

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Dec 16 2015, 04:35 AM
Post #14

Now that you mention it, it is. I have a hard time keeping track of which way is when working with FITS data...

I'll post a fixed version in the morning, I just noticed I missed a few smuts as well.

+Quote Post
akuo
post Dec 16 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 63

QUOTE (Herobrine @ Dec 16 2015, 12:03 AM) *
(Click for 1920x1080)
Attached Image

It's hugenormous (65 MB), so beware; ...

Use the following link with gifv animation automatically generated by imgur for faster loads. It uses a bit more up-to-date animation format:
http://i.imgur.com/IJnKFMz.gifv

Thanks for the animation Herobrine!

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.