15 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ceres Low-Altitude Mapping Orbit (LAMO)
Mariner9
post Apr 15 2016, 07:46 AM
Post #166

Group: Members
Member No.: 528

Hey, I dream about higher resolution pictures of Occator as much as the next guy. However, I think something is being assumed here, namely that the primary purpose of the LAMO has been achieved by completing the higher resolution imaging of Ceres. But that is only part of the LAMO science objective. If I recall correctly the main point of the low orbit is to gather a good data set for the Gamma Ray and Neutron Detector. From what I remember reading years ago about a similar instrument on Mars Odyssey, the more orbits you collect data the better your composition data becomes. Lots of math algorithms crunching lots of science numbers from lots of data points yielding a higher and higher resolution composition map. So the longer they can maintain Dawn in a stable orientation to collect it's data, passing multiple times over the same terrain, the better their composition map becomes.

I think the Dawn team intends to keep that data set expanding as long as possible. Trying to power Dawn down to a lower orbit, as juicy as those new pictures sound, would put an end to the LAMO data collection for the GRAND instrument.

Again, most of this is my recollection, explained with lots of hand waving and general vague notions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Apr 15 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #167

Member No.: 557

Ending the mission early would sacrifice filling in as much of the south polar region as possible. It will be November before the solstice arrives and Ceres begins to get primary illumination in the southern hemisphere. For several months after that there will be more and more of the southern polar areas coming out of shadow where they are locally depressed (like basins). If those areas don't get photographed in the coming months, it could be decades. That plus what Mariner9 mentioned.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Apr 15 2016, 09:28 PM
Post #168

Member No.: 3995

QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Apr 13 2016, 02:36 PM) *
Speaking of waiting until Dawn 2, a couple questions:

1. Can Dawn directly determine the nature of a water-rich layer within Ceres, e.g. with gravity data? Or will this have to wait for a future mission?

2. Have theoretical constraints on the nature of such a layer been determined? The rough, 'rocky' terrain seems to preclude a pure layer, while the scattered deposits of salts seem to imply some differentiation from a homogeneous rock/ice mixture.

I gather we'll have to wait for seismology on future missions.

+Quote Post
David Wright
post Apr 16 2016, 03:04 AM
Post #169

Member No.: 7847

I spotted an interesting light-colored patch inside one of the smaller craters in LAMO 68. If I lighten the shadows I see this lobate object on a north-facing slope:

Attached Image

What do you think? It doesn't look like an artifact to me.

David

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Apr 16 2016, 03:31 AM
Post #170

Member No.: 4489

not much lighter
px value of 24 in a 23 background

false color

+Quote Post
David Wright
post Apr 16 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #171

Member No.: 7847

I agree it's not much. But look at two other high latitude craters:

PIA20409
Attached Image

and PIA20407
Attached Image

The (admittedly faint) shadow detail in the first seems real, esp. compared to the second.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Apr 16 2016, 05:55 PM
Post #172

seeing as the images on the photo journal are normalized 5% to 95% 8 bit jpg's
and the pds img files are 16 bit unsigned
http://sbn.psi.edu/archive/dawn/fc/
we really will need to see the EDR's to get any details

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Apr 18 2016, 05:13 AM
Post #173

LAMO 68 is at the edge of getting good looking mesh

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 20 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #174

Member No.: 152

New Scientist reporting that there's a proposed extension to a third asteroid.

+Quote Post
antipode
post Apr 20 2016, 10:13 PM
Post #175

Member No.: 1206

Given the small amount of xenon fuel remaining, the list of potential destinations is probably not too long

Not to mention the fact that there are only 2 reaction wheels left.

I would love to see this happen, but dont see how it could.

A flyby of 3 Pallas was once mooted - now THAT would have been exciting. Sadly that cant happen now. Discovery proposal anyone?

P

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 21 2016, 02:15 AM
Post #176

Member No.: 5221

There must be something on a very similar orbit to Ceres; the delta-v remaining is pretty low by now. It would be great to see but Dawn isn't really built to do flybys, is it? Wonder how much Dawn can actually accomplish on a short time scale with a moving target (just tempering my enthusiasm...)

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Apr 21 2016, 03:52 AM
Post #177

Member No.: 528

The target asteroid only needs a similar orbit if the purpose is to match velocity and achieve orbit around it. If just a flyby is all that is required, then the target could be in a very different orbit from Ceres that Dawn could intersect at the appropriate time.

I rather doubt they would go to the effort to escape Ceres just to do a flyby, because as it has been pointed out the spacecraft was designed with orbital studies in mind.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Apr 23 2016, 03:39 AM
Post #178

Release LAMO 71

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 23 2016, 05:43 AM
Post #179

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Seems that there really is a serious proposal for a mission extension to visit another asteroid.

Be interesting to see how this plays out in terms of getting an extension given the spacecraft's overall health. The strongest argument in favor of this may be to prevent Dawn from crashing into Ceres at EOM.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Apr 23 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #180

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 23 2016, 05:43 AM) *
Seems that there really is a serious proposal for a mission extension to visit another asteroid.

Be interesting to see how this plays out in terms of getting an extension given the spacecraft's overall health. The strongest argument in favor of this may be to prevent Dawn from crashing into Ceres at EOM.

Well, perhaps a fly by of a short period comet is possible, more interesting would be a gravity assist from a comet,
but since the spacecraft is designed to survey from orbit, and the only thing big enough to orbit seems to be Pallas,
I'm betting on Pallas in 2018-2019.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:02 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.