Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons at Io
nprev
post Jun 9 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #271

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

huh.gif ...okay, I was wondering what was going on, too. Pity.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jun 9 2007, 03:47 AM
Post #272

Group: Members
Member No.: 124

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 8 2007, 04:49 PM) *
He (3488) did. For some reason he wanted to delete all his posts and leave.

Doug

hmmmm... he seemed so enthusiastic for a while there. ditto pity. unsure.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 10 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #273

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

In conjunction with the publication of "Io Volcanism Seen by New Horizons: A Major Eruption of the Tvashtar Volcano" in Friday's New Horizons @ Jupiter special issue of the journal Science, several images have been released based on figures from the paper. The first, located at http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/gallery/sciencePho.../100907_10.html, shows a montage of images taken of the Tvashtar plume, including an HST observation from before the encounter, several high-resolution LORRI views of the plume, and a series of images taken at 2-minute intervals. The LORRI images reveal filamentary structures that can change over a very short period of time as they descend from the top of the plume back down to the surface. The appearance of the plume is consistent with non-ballistic trajectories of the dust particles within the plume (caused by interaction between the dust and gas in the plume) and with the dust being created from condensation of gas at the top of the plume [N.B. the lack of a central eruption column, a la Prometheus].

The second image, located at http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/gallery/sciencePho...s/100907_9.html, shows a montage of eclipse images. Eclipse images acquired by LORRI revealed a number of hotspots caused by active volcanism on the surface, auroral glows (note the glowing atmosphere allowing you to see where the limb is in the eclipse data), and other glows. Included in the "other glows" are fields of bright spots near the sub- and anti-jovian points. Comparing the eclipse data to a visible basemap, these bright spots correspond to volcanoes. Because these spots are not seen by the LEISA instrument, it is thought that these glows are not caused by thermal emission, but are instead caused by gases over the volcanoes becoming excited by Jupiter's magnetosphere. It is still possible that these volcanoes are the site of current or recent volcanic activity, but the thermal emission that produced is either too small or too cool to be detected by LEISA (keep in mind that LEISA does not see as far into the Near-infrared as NIMS did, so older hotspots may not be detected by LEISA. For example, a 200K hotspot, corresponding to a cooled flow that erupted 3.5 years ago (assuming a 10-m thick flow with basaltic composition), might not be detectable with LEISA, but it might lead to an enhancement in SO2, which would be seen in these LORRI eclipse images.

The third image, located at http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/gallery/sciencePho...s/100907_8.html details activity on the surface of Io, as plumes, surface changes, and hotspots are marked on this map.

Also, the slides from John Spencer's presentation here at DPS yesterday are also available on line. Those are located at: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/news_center/news/1...essGraphics.htm.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Apr 11 2008, 06:53 AM
Post #274

I've put a page for New Horizons' Io observations. The images are kept in 16-bit PNG format.

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/New_Horizons/

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 11 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #275

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Apr 11 2008, 07:53 AM) *
I've put a page for New Horizons' Io observations. The images are kept in 16-bit PNG format.

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/New_Horizons/

That is really neat! Is this now the complete set?

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 11 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #276

Member No.: 530

Very cool. I like the colorised versions, even if the color is a bit outdated!

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Apr 11 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #277

No I still got a few more to go. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 11 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #278

Administrator

Member No.: 454

An excellent resource, Jason, thanks very much for it. A question -- do the settings you selected for the Unsharp Mask tool have any basis in characteristics of the camera, or are those settings just what made the images look subjectively the best to you?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Apr 11 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #279

It was subjective. That, and it was the settings Unsharp Mask was at when I started up Photoshop. Looked good enough to me, so I kept it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Apr 11 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #280

Member No.: 321

When I ran a mailing list once, an angry boss used a member's email account to email the list and ask all of us to stop sending that naughty employee so many non-work-related emails. Avocation battles vocation. And then there's the angry wife with the rolling pin...

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 17 18 19
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.