IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pluto Top Ten Contest, Is Pluto a Planet or Is It Not?
SigurRosFan
post Jan 6 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 471

Planetary Society press release:

http://www.planetary.org/about/press/relea...t_Not__The.html - Is Pluto a Planet or Is It Not? The Planetary Society Seeks Top Ten Lists

--- In honor of the launch of the New Horizons mission, the Society announces a call for the public to speak up and tell us:

The Top 10 Reasons Pluto IS a Planet, or
The Top 10 Reasons Pluto IS NOT a Planet

Even The Planetary Society's own Board of Directors is split, with Chairman Neil deGrasse Tyson wanting to demote Pluto from the planetary ranks and other members of the Board staunchly defending Pluto's status. In the interest of impartiality and public engagement, The Planetary Society is calling for reasons on both sides of the issue. For the next eight days, visitors to the Society's website can share their reasons why Pluto should or should not continue to be ranked as one of the solar system's nine planets. The deadline for submissions is Thursday, January 12, 2006. The final Top 10 Lists will be released prior to the launch of the New Horizons mission. ---

http://www.planetary.org/explore/topics/topten/ - Pluto Top Ten

http://www.planetary.org/explore/topics/topten/enter.html - Enter the Contest!

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 6 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #2

Guests

Of course ... Clyde TOMBAUGH found PLANET X back in 1930 biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Jan 7 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 212

Some more good tidbits, is that this battle is not completely serious but also open to WIT and HUMOR!

To quote some additional relevant paragraphs from The Planetary Society:

The Top Ten Reasons Pluto IS a Planet
The Top Ten Reasons Pluto IS NOT a Planet

"Although the debate within the planetary community about Pluto's status is serious, the Top 10 Lists on our website do not have to be," said Bruce Betts, The Planetary Society's Director of Projects. "We will be looking for humorous rather than scientific reasons, although reasons that combine both would be a bonus."

That's right, in the interest of impartiality, we are calling for reasons on both sides of the issue. Don't be shy -- tell us why! Be creative, be silly, be witty, you can even be scientific, but that's not required.

The call for entries begins today, Wednesday, January 4 and ends on Thursday, January 12, 2006 at 12:00 noon Pacific time (20:00 UTC). Submissions are limited to five reasons per person per day for each list. A secret panel of judges will compile the final lists, which will be posted on our website prior to the launch of the New Horizons mission".

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 11 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Just pointing out that this contest closes tomorrow...I DEMAND that you guys go BE FUNNY NOW!!! mad.gif biggrin.gif Seriously, please do your part to help reduce the net number of groans that the final top ten lists will inevitably elicit...

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
akuo
post Jan 11 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 63

But its a serious issue!

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jan 11 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 105

<ben_stein>
But we are planetary geologists. Humor is not an option.
</ben_stein>

biggrin.gif

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jan 12 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 11 2006, 08:42 PM)
Just pointing out that this contest closes tomorrow...I DEMAND that you guys go BE FUNNY NOW!!!  mad.gif  biggrin.gif Seriously, please do your part to help reduce the net number of groans that the final top ten lists will inevitably elicit...

--Emily

Emily:

You want silly? You got silly!

Mostly of the 'Pluto floats, so it is a duck, therefore it must be a witch, not a planet' variety!

For the culturally challenged, I also pointed out that Pluto is a dog, not a planet (the Voices told me to say that, though!).

These are not far off some of the 'real' arguments, IMHO.

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jan 12 2006, 01:11 PM
Post #8

Guests

According to Alan Stern, it's a planet because it doesn't look like Bizarro World.

+Quote Post
Chmee
post Jan 12 2006, 03:27 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 206

Pluto is a planet because changing all the text books, encyclopedias, and references from the "9 planets of the solar system" to the "8 planets" would be cost-prohibative.
biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
odave
post Jan 12 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 209

My entries on both sides of the issue are in.

Here's another that I couldn't get under the 128 character limit and have it make sense:

It IS a planet because we'd want to avoid hearing this from Pluto: "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a planet. I coulda been somebody, instead of a KBO, which is what I am. Let's face it. It was you, IAU. "

smile.gif

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
The Messenger
post Jan 12 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 460

QUOTE (Chmee @ Jan 12 2006, 08:27 AM)
Pluto is a planet because changing all the text books, encyclopedias, and references from the "9 planets of the solar system" to the "8 planets" would be cost-prohibative.
biggrin.gif

Astronomy's archane nomenclature is one of my pet peeves - Star types, Saturns rings, galaxy types, numbering systems that were orgininally designed to help put things in order are wrot with confusion. Don't even get me going on astronomical units, and I have the same complaint about icons: how do you index and reference them? I have no way of knowing what my camera is telling me without plowing through a two-hundred page book, all in 8 pitch. I just aim and hope.

So rather than create a plethoria of new planets, I would propose classifying all Kuiper belt objects as "Plutonian moons", including Pluto. Give the grade school kids a break - by the time they are adults, they will have learned to identify more icons than there are characters in the Chinese alphabet.

+Quote Post
David
post Jan 12 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 56

The first discovery of a "new" planet was in 1781. The second, 1846, 75 years later. The third, 1930, 84 years later. If 2003 UB313 is considered a planet, then 73 years would have elapsed between the third and fourth new planets. That's an average of 77 years between "new planets". I think that's a nice sedate pace I think we could keep up for a while.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 16 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #13

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

The results are in...

Pluto Top Ten Lists

A very strong showing from the UMSF folks, especially Lyford! Thanks guys!

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 16 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #14

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Weh hey smile.gif

I love "It doesn't appear to be so inclined. " - That's GENIUS

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_exobioquest_*
post Jan 17 2006, 05:37 AM
Post #15

Guests

Pluto is not a planet, and I'll tell you why cause “plutonians are teh suck!” (private joke for ATHF fans)

Its to small and to far and if we add it in we have to add in alot of other KBO that including pluto are nothing but oversize comets in badly need of some sun.

F the grade school books, the USA school system is already teaching them kids misinformation: why stop at sex ed and evolution lets get astronomy in there to!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:02 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.