Reply to this topicStart new topic
Philae landing on the nucleus of Comet 67P C-G
Gerald
post Nov 12 2014, 08:10 PM
Post #256

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (anticitizen2 @ Nov 12 2014, 09:49 PM) *
The flywheel spun around the Z axis in the X-Y plane, so would that make the induced rotation around the Z axis?

In the case, that there is no contact to the ground, and the flywheel is near the center of mass, yes (Philae is almost symmetric to the z-axis). Otherwise the motion (precession / nutation) can be rather complicated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 12 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #257

Member No.: 152

Here's a very quick and dirty tweak of the higher altitude ROLIS frame:
Attached Image

Based on comparison with this landing site image with stated 500 m radius circle, I find a width of about 38.5 metres for the ground visible in this frame. With a ROLIS fov of 57.7 deg, that gives a distance from the ground of about 35 metres for this image.

Here's a very dirty job regularizing the closer screenshot image to a roughly rectangular shape. Can't be sure about the aspect ratio since it appears some of the image is missing on the bottom:
Attached Image

Comparison with the previous frame gives a width of about 9.1 metres for this image, with corresponding distance of about 8.3 metres from the ground. In other words, still well before landing.

There are big caveats here, of course: the original 500 metre scale was only approximate, the leaked images may only be crops of the full images, and any errors compound as you go from one image to the next.

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 12 2014, 09:04 PM
Post #258

Member No.: 4057

Landing site Agilkia from different imagers and in different scales.
The last one "published" ROLIS image has resolution ~4 cm/pix.
I suppose that full image will be (was) downloaded at 1 Mpix resolution, then full resolution will be ~1 cm/pixel from distance 10 meters.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Nov 12 2014, 09:15 PM
Post #259

Member No.: 3233

The BBC has released a video of Stephan Ulamec's statements in the ESA press briefing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30031531

+Quote Post
MarsInMyLifetime
post Nov 12 2014, 09:17 PM
Post #260

Member No.: 6108

I found it curious that those last two ROLIS images depict some apparent rotation which should not have been the case if both were during the same descent. Is it possible that the last image is a post-bounce image that now represents some translation effects of the flywheel? If so, my eyes might be deceiving me but there is perhaps an imprint of a length of leg in the upper right on a "sandbar."

--------------------
--
Don

+Quote Post
chemman
post Nov 12 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #261

Member No.: 4738

QUOTE (machi @ Nov 12 2014, 02:47 PM) *
Localisation of the published ROLIS image.

Scientists at DPS14 discussing your image smile.gif https://twitter.com/maxmutchler

Attached Image

--------------------
-------------
-Ned

+Quote Post
OWW
post Nov 12 2014, 09:26 PM
Post #262

Member No.: 99

QUOTE (MarsInMyLifetime @ Nov 12 2014, 10:17 PM) *
I found it curious that those last two ROLIS images depict some apparent rotation which should not have been the case if both were during the same descent. Is it possible that the last image is a post-bounce image that now represents some translation effects of the flywheel? If so, my eyes might be deceiving me but there is perhaps an imprint of a length of leg in the upper right on a "sandbar."

No, apparently philae was spinning once every 9 minutes during the descent. It was mentioned earlier in the stream I think.

+Quote Post
chemman
post Nov 12 2014, 09:33 PM
Post #263

Member No.: 4738

QUOTE (MarsInMyLifetime @ Nov 12 2014, 05:17 PM) *

They did detect a slow rotation during decent, which apparently surprised them. They also think it might have done a little bounce turn when it landed. Also the flywheel was designed to disengage upon touch down. The bar in the upper right is one of the lander legs that's in the camera's field of view.

--------------------
-------------
-Ned

+Quote Post
MarsInMyLifetime
post Nov 12 2014, 09:48 PM
Post #264

Member No.: 6108

QUOTE (chemman @ Nov 12 2014, 03:33 PM) *
They did detect a slow rotation during decent, which apparently surprised them. They also think it might have done a little bounce turn when it landed. Also the flywheel was designed to disengage upon touch down. The bar in the upper right is one of the lander legs that's in the camera's field of view.

I missed the earlier comment about rotation, so thanks for the reminder. I'm aware of the hardware in the corner. The very faint mark I saw is beneath the "shark tooth" shadow on the middle right (upper as in quadrant I but very low in it). I'm not convinced it is real, particularly given the poor resolution and possibility that the photo is still during the original descent. It just happened to match nicely with the meter-length legend below it. I see that conspiracists are seeing alien shadows as well now, so I'm even more removed from my tenuous hypothesis now! Next topic...

--------------------
--
Don

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 12 2014, 09:52 PM
Post #265

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Fantastic work with the landing site location, Machi!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
SpaceScout
post Nov 12 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #266

Member No.: 7229

...still no images from the surface..

--------------------
space scout

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Nov 12 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #267

Member No.: 3995

QUOTE (SpaceScout @ Nov 12 2014, 04:03 PM) *
...still no images from the surface..

Images could be delayed if there is something of scientific interest.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 12 2014, 10:18 PM
Post #268

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I would be surprised if we see anything more before the press conf tomorrow afternoon CET.

FWIW - reading very much between the lines ( the notion that after the first touchdown there was an approx 2hr period of the spacecraft exhibited rotation and then came to a stop which infers a long bounce ) - my basic math suggests a 2hr bounce would reach about 530m altitude and start with a 0.3m/sec rebound.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 12 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #269

Member No.: 5221

And with the speed of the nucleus's rotation, the surface was moving underneath a great distance too! Hopefully they can track down where it ended up.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 12 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #270

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

2 hrs would put us 1/6th of a comet rotation apart and therefore the second touchdown might be off the 'head' and closer to the back of the neck of the comet. Or it might have got a direction to the rebound sending it another direction completely. I'm not very confident that a 500m 2hr bounce really did occur - but it's a thrilling thought. 2 landings for the price of one smile.gif

Fingers crossed OSIRIS can spot Philae on the surface and we can then compare that to Machi's exceptional location chart.

+Quote Post

95 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:32 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.