Reply to this topicStart new topic
E-ELT, European Extremely Large Telescope
jamescanvin
post Dec 13 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

http://www.eso.org/outreach/press-rel/pr-2006/pr-46-06.html

57 million euros for a detailed study, construction starting in 3 years. smile.gif

42m primary ohmy.gif, 6m secondary! ohmy.gif

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 13 2006, 06:32 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

"This fast pace has also been possible thanks to early conceptual studies in Europe (such as the ESO OWL and the EURO-50 studies)"

I'm not so happy considering that they canceled the OWL project which was 100m mirror (especially considering that estimated cost of OWL is only 50-60% above E-ELT)! mad.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
climber
post Dec 13 2006, 07:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 13 2006, 07:32 AM) *
"This fast pace has also been possible thanks to early conceptual studies in Europe (such as the ESO OWL and the EURO-50 studies)"

I'm not so happy considering that they canceled the OWL project which was 100m mirror (especially considering that estimated cost of OWL is only 50-60% above E-ELT)! mad.gif

I agree Dilo, they firs sold us OWL and sized it down to E-ELT. Buta anyway, remember they once envisioned a 4.5m (IIRM) mirror for Hubble...and look what he's doing anyway smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Dec 13 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 174

Going from 8.5 and 10 meter segmented and/or monolitihc mirrors to a 100 meter one is too big a jump. The optimum jump is in the 25 to 35 meter range (2.5 x to 3.5 x increase beyond Keck) That would put a 100 meter OWL (*LOVE* that name/acronym) as a reasonable next jump.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Dec 13 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #5

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (edstrick @ Dec 13 2006, 11:36 AM) *
That would put a 100 meter OWL (*LOVE* that name/acronym) as a reasonable next jump.

As far as wonderful acronyms are concerned I first came across OWL in an article that also mentioned an even better title - Gigantic Optical Device.

+Quote Post
Roly
post Dec 13 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 464

Is there any practical way to build the E-ELT "for" but not "with" the capability for adding another for interferometry, say if the money comes up 10 years after it begins operations? The only thing better than one 42m telescope is two surely, especially if the line for manufacturing segments is already up and running. It's would be wonderful if these ELT various proposals could be co-ordinated, so there was a common facility and specification for mirror segments. The savings would have to be non-trivial.

Probably a foolish idea but I love the idea of two 42m telescopes (I love the idea of one as well!) , and perhaps a few 30m ones built "cheaply" from high volume segment manufacture.

cheers

Roly

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 13 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Roly @ Dec 13 2006, 04:28 PM) *
Probably a foolish idea but I love the idea of two 42m telescopes (I love the idea of one as well!) , and perhaps a few 30m ones built "cheaply" from high volume segment manufacture.

Roly, I think your idea is far from to be foolish: probably, a Super-VLT made of 5/6 E-ELT well positioned and interferometrically connected would be better than OWL! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 13 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (helvick @ Dec 13 2006, 08:00 AM) *
As far as wonderful acronyms are concerned I first came across OWL in an article that also mentioned an even better title - Gigantic Optical Device.

I toyed with designing a Graphic Omniscient Device, once. But no matter what I did, it ended up looking like me... biggrin.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Dec 14 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 13 2006, 07:32 AM) *
I'm not so happy considering that they canceled the OWL project which was 100m mirror.

That the final telescope would be smaller than planned was already forseen by the scientists that proposed to build the OWL. From the OWL FAQ on the ESO website:

"If budgetary considerations will force the final OWL to be smaller than 100-m, it may eventually mean Originally Was Larger ". sad.gif

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Dec 14 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #10

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Personally I'm glad that a 100m OWL is canceled for now, it was just a bit too "overwhelming". I think the challenges of this 42m monster are going to be huge, jumping straight to 100m would have been crazy and could have resulted in a lot of wasted money. Those of you unhappy about this, think of this as a OWL prototype, I'm sure we'll get a 100m class scope one day, and it's going to be a lot easier after a few 30-50m ones have been built.

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 15 2006, 06:38 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (DEChengst @ Dec 14 2006, 08:42 PM) *
"If budgetary considerations will force the final OWL to be smaller than 100-m, it may eventually mean Originally Was Larger ". sad.gif

LOL ! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Dec 15 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 14 2006, 09:53 PM) *
I'm sure we'll get a 100m class scope one day, and it's going to be a lot easier after a few 30-50m ones have been built.
James

Agree and I feel we can start to think about a 10 m near the Moon Base too. I guess it's not longer science fiction even if still remote. That'll be a big step...specialy if we can do an Earth-Moon interferometer : will get better pictures of Mars than what MRO's doing now biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Dec 15 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 174

Maybe the next scale instrument will be the BLT (Bacon Lettuce and Tomato) ... or is that Bogglaceously Large Telescope?

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 15 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 15

I will point out that, according to some experts I've heard expound on the subject, interferometry doesn't work well in visible wavelengths of light, and that with current technology you almost need a physical connection between the two oberving points to time your observations such that interferometry is possible in the first place. Sort of put a huge damper on the concept of placing several large telescopes all over the globe to achieve a virtual aperature of thousands of km... sad.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
remcook
post Dec 15 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #15

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

it works in the radio frequencies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Long_Bas..._Interferometry
http://www.jive.nl/~mag/hdf/evn/pr/

As I understand it, for VIS/IR the wavelength is obviously much shorter and therefore there are more stringent requirements on the timing of the phases. So you need actual beams interfering physically and even that is hard!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.