Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL landing site: Gale Crater
elakdawalla
post May 19 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #121

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Huh. The usage of "Mount Sharp" is already pretty ingrained among mission scientists. Do you think they'll make the switch? I did think it was weird that they press-released the informal name; I figured the IAU wouldn't take that too kindly.

It seems weird that they went with Aeolis Mons and Aeolis Palus. It's certainly not the only mound in Aeolis planum. But I haven't studied place-naming on Mars that closely.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 19 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #122

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

I think they will go with the official name, but maybe slip in another informal Sharp name somewhere along the way. Their right to use informal names is well established, but I expect they will adapt to the official name as well.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 19 2012, 02:31 AM
Post #123

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Odd that USGS & IAU would decide to affix a formal name to these features at this time.

Also interesting is the fact that the USGS appears to state that 'Aeolis' is linked to a classical albedo feature, implying that Gale is observable from relatively small (I'd guess Lowell Observatory ca. early 1900s) Earth-based scopes?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 19 2012, 02:58 AM
Post #124

No, Aeolis is the region Gale is in. Gale itself is not visible, though it might have contributed to a classical canal.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 19 2012, 06:06 AM
Post #125

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Got it; thanks, Phil!

Think Emily's right, though; might be a bit hard for the mission folks to shift gears at this late date. For example, bet that there are imaging sequences planned already named "SHARP_SOMETHING".

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 19 2012, 06:18 AM
Post #126

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Got to say - this is a very silly move by the IAU.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 19 2012, 07:14 AM
Post #127

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Sounds like someone in the IAU has thrown his or her rattle out of the pram, narked at the way humble, low-born mission people christen places and features without the High Council's approval. I can imagine that even now, the IAU High Council are gathering in the Great IAU Hall, to discuss how to address the issue...

Attached Image

Well done IAU, another back of the net own goal.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 19 2012, 08:06 AM
Post #128

Founder

It's disrespectful to the team that's put in the years of work who are about to explore it and most of all, disrespectful to Bob Sharp.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 19 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #129

Sharp gets a crater nearby. By convention large Mars craters are named after people and mountains after the region they are in. This follows the convention. And there is no conflict between informal mission names and official ones. Indeed there would be nothing wrong with the MSL team continuing to use their own name informally, but I expect they will just port the name Sharp to another feature.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post May 19 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 497

It's worth pointing out that unlike decisions like what defines a planet, nomenclature issues for planetary features are managed by a task group of planetary scientists: see http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Page/Approved

Still seems odd but as Phil points out naming a raised feature after a person just wasn't going to fit with the existing nomenclature convention.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 19 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #131

Founder

The IAU could have just done nothing. What they've done is make this now a challenging issue for the project, for media relations etc etc.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post May 19 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #132

QUOTE (djellison @ May 19 2012, 03:11 PM) *
The IAU could have just done nothing.

True. Maybe there's an interesting insider politics story here. Certainly the IAU didn't feel compelled to name the Columbia Hills out from under the MER team.

One can complain: "Any objections to these names based on significant, substantive problems must be forwarded in writing or email to the IAU Division III President within three months from the time the name was placed on the web site."

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post May 19 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 1241

There are a seven named peaks in Gusev in the vicinity of Spirit.
from north to south:
Anderson Hill - named after Michael P. Anderson
Brown Hill - named after David M. Brown
Chawla Hill - named after Kalpana Chawla
Clark Hill - named after Laurel Clark
Husband Hill - named after Rick D. Husband
McCool Hill - named after William C. McCool
Ramon Hill - named after Ilan Ramon

The IAU should really take a deep breath and give some wiggle room to the people and organizations who are actually expending the resources and who will actually have a vehicle IN SITU! Its a roving laboratory ON MARS that actually plans to climb that one hill in Gale.

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 20 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #134

Founder

QUOTE (PDP8E @ May 19 2012, 04:37 PM) *

And they were named by the MER team.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post May 20 2012, 12:39 AM
Post #135

QUOTE (PDP8E @ May 19 2012, 03:37 PM) *

Those names don't appear in the IAU Gazetteer and AFAIK have no standing with the IAU.

Look, I'm not arguing with you guys, I agree that this was a confusing and seemingly ill-considered move. It would be interesting to get a statement from Brad Smith, the chair of the IAU Mars Task Group, about why they chose to do this now.

--------------------

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:32 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.