Reply to this topicStart new topic
Low-phase color images of Rhea
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 29 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #1

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

The following images are 'byproducts' of the Rhea DEM and an associated color/albedo map I finished several weeks ago. When I did the color/albedo map I wanted low-phase global images. There are also global high-phase images but I wasn't interested in them for obvious reasons. The images are composited from calibrated PDS images. I used RED, GRN and BL1 NAC images in all cases.

The processing is similar in all cases:
(1) Calibrate the images.
(2) Create the color composite by using one image (usually GRN) as a reference and then 'warping' the other two images slightly.
(3) Sharpen the image a bit.
(4) Clean up noise and spurious color near the limb if present (it usually wasn't).

First a color image from 2005-01-26, range 496,000 km. The viewing geometry is also shown:
Attached Image

Attached Image

And from 2005-07-14, range 343,000 km:
Attached Image

Attached Image

2005-11-26, range 294,000 km:

Attached Image

Attached Image

2005-12-24, range 342,000 km:
Attached Image

Attached Image

2006-01-17, range 245,000 km:

Attached Image

Attached Image

2006-02-24, range 349,000 km:
Attached Image

Attached Image

2006-04-28, range 481,000 km:

Attached Image

Attached Image

2007-07-17, range 598,000 km:
Attached Image

Attached Image

One thing is obvious: Rhea isn't exactly a colorful body. There are some albedo markings, 'wispy terrain' and crater rays though and the trailing hemisphere is somewhat darker than the leading hemisphere.

I may post more images later.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:57 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.